Poll (By Request) -- Better Legacy: Shogun or Machida?

4 blown knees is part of his legacy, whether you like it or not.

If he were successful despite those issues, you'd be citing this as an example of greatness. But since it has contributed to his downfall, you make excuses and disregard the negatives.

Your lack of objectivity is showing.

Two blown knees, still banged out Machida. Trust me, it's a part of his legacy ;)

Shogun's PRIDE run, quality of opponents and the way he finished them puts him over Machida. His current run and spotty record in the UFC hurts him while Machida's current run is helping him.

The Rockhold fight will be a be a big turning point for Machida I feel. If he can hang with Luke, he's still relevant and has a chance at the title again. If not, he's just going to hang around the top 10 until he retires.

Unless machida wins the 185 strap, clearly shogun. pride was a more violent league rules wise than UFC, and he rose to the top in it.

I'm a big fan of Lyoto but his style of fighting would be much less effective inside a ring where an opponent can corner him. Shogun proved he can win it all both in the ring and cage.

If he were successful despite those issues, you'd be citing this as an example of greatness. But since it has contributed to his downfall, you make excuses and disregard the negatives.

Exactly, his knees have contributed to both his good and bad moments.

Which is it? It's a part of his legacy or it isn't.

Besides Shogun has 2 major titles, Machida only has one and lost his to Shogun.

Shogun nuthuggers incoming.

Mauricio Shogun Rua

2005 Pride MW Grand Prix Champ vs a murderers row of combatants
UFC LHW Champ
2 - 0 vs Machida (Yeah I said 2-0)

Proud hugger of Shogun's nuts. Come at me bro.

I think Shogun's only bad losses were Sonnen and OSP. He was robbed in the 1st Machida fight, the Hendo fight should have been a draw and there's no shame in losing a decision to Gus or getting TKO'ed by Hendo. Despite people's poor memory, Griffin was a legit fighter at one point and I can forgiven him for losing that one as well.

Up until the 2nd Hendo fight, Shogun had also avenged all of his losses.

Probably a question better asked after both guys are retired.

I think Shogun's only bad losses were Sonnen and OSP. He was robbed in the 1st Machida fight, the Hendo fight should have been a draw and there's no shame in losing a decision to Gus or getting TKO'ed by Hendo. Despite people's poor memory, Griffin was a legit fighter at one point and I can forgiven him for losing that one as well.

Up until the 2nd Hendo fight, Shogun had also avenged all of his losses.

Excuses can be made for anyone to make them seem better.

Shogun has the better legacy, arguably beat Machida twice once finishing him when people thought he was untouchable. Won the Pride grand prix with one of the most impressive runs in MMA history and also UFC LHW champ. If Machida is able to win the title again it becomes a lot closer but right now it's Shogun

Bigger fan of shogun but I have to say machida! Even though shogun got the better of there matchups overall

Machida and its not even close. And i dislike Machida.

Shogun fans tend to make an excuse for every single loss he has, almost as desilusional as diaz and sonnen fans.

I'm a fan of both. Lyoto is still flourishing currently but Shogun had his time.

Who will ever forget these fights?

susumu14_display_image.jpg

susumu04.jpg

Shogun-Rua.jpg

41191.jpg

shogunra_2859286b.jpg

mauricio%2Bshogun%2Brua.jpg

Machida just fought and loose to the champion, beat a guy in less than a minute, Shogun got KO`d in less than a minute.....I voted equal because they both lose to Jones and are 1-1 to each other, but im feeling Machida takes this.

Shogun clearly, Pride GP + UFC championship. He was also ranked #1 for a longer period of time even when he didn't have a belt

This, add in also the fact that he is the only man to ever KO machida, so holding a win like that over Machida (first fight is also a win imo) should be more incentive to put him above Machida.

People forget the fact that Shogun's career has been more bad than good

He had his glory moments, but in the big leagues, most part was downhill

On the other hand, Lyoto's career has been legendary, if he can take the MW gold, i can see him being top 10 all time.

People forget the fact that Shogun's career has been more bad than good

He had his glory moments, but in the big leagues, most part was downhill

On the other hand, Lyoto's career has been legendary, if he can take the MW gold, i can see him being top 10 all time.

LMAO at big leagues. PRIDE MW division > UFC LHW division throughout PRIDE's existence.

Lyoto is 6-5 in his last eleven, he's pulling away at light speed.

Back