Political harassment?

In the academic environment I'm in, half the people I'm around are afraid to voice their politics. Even the quite moderate, left leaning ones just shut their mouths. There are petitions circulating the department that are signed by everyone, with at least a 25% of the people signing them not wanting to but being afraid of the consequences if they don't. There is a literal environment of fear of stepping out of line in institutions which are supposedly built around free and experimental thought.

The irony was that when I was working construction to save up some cash for my education, all the high school educated Conservative voters would call you and asshole and a dipshit if you voted NDP (left leaning) and then go out for a beer with you after. Hell, I still see a lot of these guys, and they're the same old same old, usually ragging on me for putting on weight and having soft hands and being a "liberal pussy," but perfectly willing to accept people they don't agree with. I wish the academy was as open to disagreement as the construction environments I used to work in.

All of that "I must excise (people who hold the wrong politics) from my life!" shit you hear about on twitter is far, far too real.
same...i'm in academia as well...when BLM started rioting we immediately got a letter the next day from our bosses and administration saying we all needed to "affirm" our commitment of supporting BLM and dismantling racism blah blah blah

my boss also officially refers to us as "colonizers on occupied land"

LOL

academia has been corrupted for some time now...it used to be for the academics...now the whole herd comes

You did waste your vote though

no he didn't.

a vote for a libertarian candidate is basically just a fuck you to the black/white right/left system.

it's two sides of the same coin.

voting libertarian is telling both parties to fuck off.

Half the goof troopers here crying that this entirely typical behavior never happened and the other half saying it was deserved. You dumb fucks will never learn. This is why your president was Donald Trump in the first place. Decent people hate you and your regressive tribe.

You sound like a pussy. Just sayin'
5796999-DMLiberal-0.jpg

no he didn't.

a vote for a libertarian candidate is basically just a fuck you to the black/white right/left system.

it's two sides of the same coin.

voting libertarian is telling both parties to fuck off.

I agree, it's not a wasted vote, it's a vote that says: "you didn't earn my vote.... yet... try harder next time."

Harassment may be a bit of an exaggeration.
But at work, my office is pretty much hard liberals all around. I am right leaning libertarian. I went into an office room to ask a question about work, and they were crowded around a computer watching the election updates. They asked who I'm hoping for. I said I'm not really into politics. They started joking I must be DT (Donald Trump) and started laughing. I said oh nah, I'm more JJ (Jo Jorgensen). They thought I was crazy and started talking about how I wasted my vote and that I should have at least contributed to Biden. She pointed to the 1% that voted JJ and said that 1% could have turned the tide in some states for Biden. I said yea... I'm not really gonna vote Biden just because he's not Trump. "He can't be any worse than Trump !!!" I'm not gonna vote Biden just because he's not Trump. Then I was somewhat surrounded and started getting nearly interrogated about why I didn't use my vote for Biden and started getting mocked for my political affiliation. I felt extremely uncomfortable. They were joking at first, but they started getting pretty passionate and assertive about it.

I don't think republicans would have been this hostile. And people always associate conservatives with hate groups, but I could really feel the hate from the left wing today at work.
To be fair, being a libertarian is mock-worthy. I mean, Jo Jorgenson? LMAO

In the academic environment I'm in, half the people I'm around are afraid to voice their politics. Even the quite moderate, left leaning ones just shut their mouths. There are petitions circulating the department that are signed by everyone, with at least a 25% of the people signing them not wanting to but being afraid of the consequences if they don't. There is a literal environment of fear of stepping out of line in institutions which are supposedly built around free and experimental thought.

The irony was that when I was working construction to save up some cash for my education, all the high school educated Conservative voters would call you and asshole and a dipshit if you voted NDP (left leaning) and then go out for a beer with you after. Hell, I still see a lot of these guys, and they're the same old same old, usually ragging on me for putting on weight and having soft hands and being a "liberal pussy," but perfectly willing to accept people they don't agree with. I wish the academy was as open to disagreement as the construction environments I used to work in.

All of that "I must excise (people who hold the wrong politics) from my life!" shit you hear about on twitter is far, far too real.
Guys I have grown up with have stopped talking to me over my liberal political views. Or maybe I'm just an asshole. It's sometimes hard to tell.

Back