Political harassment?

"I don't think republicans would have been this hostile." I don't know. There are many assholes on both side of the fence. I agree though that it must suck. Less and less people respect differing opinions and it's a shame.

Both sides do it when you're in an echo chamber.
I'm left of center and typically vote Democrat, but I'm not insane liberal like a lot f the folks that live around me. I keep my mouth shut about my beliefs because people that are really partisan will see you as "one of them" is you're not as hard core liberal or conservative as they are. My GF has very similar views to myself. She leans left and typically votes Democrat. She doesn't talk politics at all when at work because she works in environmental science for the state and is surrounded by activists and frothing at the mouth Pacific North West liberals. She's originally from North Carolina and thinks these people are fucking crazy.

I've experienced the same shit from the hard right while hanging out with small town guys that I grew up with when I go home for the holidays, to watch the superbowl, fights etc. I try not to get into conversations with them, but after a few beers, I'll make the mistake of expressing one of my views like not being a fan of open carry or thinking a border wall is silly only to get called a libtard and have it explained to me that I've been indoctrinated by going to college and living in a city. You can't argue with them because they're so sure they're right and you're a fool that you can't really even have a conversation with them.

The big difference I've noticed between hard core folks on the right vs the left is that the ones on the right will still befriend and associate with someone that they disagree with on politics. I can still BBQ it up and hang out with guys that are straight up Ned Flanders type Christian Conservatives. The hard core lefties I live and work with usually will circle you out unless your politics are pretty on par with their own. There's just a much more prominent sense of righteousness with hard core lefties that makes them a bit more unfriendly and unwelcoming. The folks on the far right want you to be like them as apposed to the folks on the far left hating you if you're not like them. Obviously these are generalization, but this has been my personal experience.

It's your own fault that they are doing that to you.
They can feel your insecurities and not wanting to show where you really stand for out of shame.
It's easy to blame your shame on others.
But im reality you are ashamed for what you stand for.

Those people who do that are weak. Because they smelt insecurity you invited them to do this to you.
If you are confident and always stand for what you belief they wouldn't do that.

The answer is that they do this is because they are human beings. Most human beings are weak and instinctive to their fear. They always want to control a person by a group. It's up to you if you want to be controlled by pressure and cornering.

@Milton_Gracie

A humanities department at a university. I'd expect a BJJ academy to be more like the construction workers, or my rugby team...
I had a prof that would never shut up about “the war on Christmas!!!!!” and he’d definitely say some racist shit now and then. Everyone in the department loved him. This was in Canada.

This is why you learn from Joe Rogan and modify your position depending on the person in front of you.

Half the goof troopers here crying that this entirely typical behavior never happened and the other half saying it was deserved. You dumb fucks will never learn. This is why your president was Donald Trump in the first place. Decent people hate you and your regressive tribe.

Lol at being intimidated by liberal soy boys and feminists.

Huge LOLZ!

I don't think republicans would have been this hostile. And people always associate conservatives with hate groups, but I could really feel the hate from the left wing today at work.
Whenever you hold the minority political position in a large group, you're going to get some hostility. It really is a both sides issue.

I didn’t vote and honestly I always avoid politics and religion talks like the plague.

It's your own fault that they are doing that to you.
They can feel your insecurities and not wanting to show where you really stand for out of shame.
It's easy to blame your shame on others.
But im reality you are ashamed for what you stand for.

Those people who do that are weak. Because they smelt insecurity you invited them to do this to you.
If you are confident and always stand for what you belief they wouldn't do that.

The answer is that they do this is because they are human beings. Most human beings are weak and instinctive to their fear. They always want to control a person by a group. It's up to you if you want to be controlled by pressure and cornering.

You're a fucking idiot. I avoid politics in the workplace, but they asked and I answered. You're talking insecurities because you're projecting your own onto me, some dude on the internet.

This is why you learn from Joe Rogan and modify your position depending on the person in front of you.

This is damn true. Joe Rogan is a politcal chameleon. But only when his guest is really well known.

Both sides do it when you're in an echo chamber.
I'm left of center and typically vote Democrat, but I'm not insane liberal like a lot f the folks that live around me. I keep my mouth shut about my beliefs because people that are really partisan will see you as "one of them" is you're not as hard core liberal or conservative as they are. My GF has very similar views to myself. She leans left and typically votes Democrat. She doesn't talk politics at all when at work because she works in environmental science for the state and is surrounded by activists and frothing at the mouth Pacific North West liberals. She's originally from North Carolina and thinks these people are fucking crazy.

I've experienced the same shit from the hard right while hanging out with small town guys that I grew up with when I go home for the holidays, to watch the superbowl, fights etc. I try not to get into conversations with them, but after a few beers, I'll make the mistake of expressing one of my views like not being a fan of open carry or thinking a border wall is silly only to get called a libtard and have it explained to me that I've been indoctrinated by going to college and living in a city. You can't argue with them because they're so sure they're right and you're a fool that you can't really even have a conversation with them.

The big difference I've noticed between hard core folks on the right vs the left is that the ones on the right will still befriend and associate with someone that they disagree with on politics. I can still BBQ it up and hang out with guys that are straight up Ned Flanders type Christian Conservatives. The hard core lefties I live and work with usually will circle you out unless your politics are pretty on par with their own. There's just a much more prominent sense of righteousness with hard core lefties that makes them a bit more unfriendly and unwelcoming. The folks on the far right want you to be like them as apposed to the folks on the far left hating you if you're not like them. Obviously these are generalization, but this has been my personal experience.

I mirror much of what you're saying here. Frankly though, it's troubling to hear it from the sciences (even enviro sci). I've heard rumblings of this from a wide variety of departments though.

My friend suggested that. But it's not worth it. I depend on these same people to get a lot of work done.

Where I work HR wouldn’t give a shit because they are full of leftists as well.

I work with mostly brain dead leftist zombies. I’ve voted for Bernie twice and Obama before that. I’m more critical of Democrats because outside of a few local positions I’ve voted for them my entire life. Really, due to the lip service paid, but in many ways I feel like they haven’t really given an honest fuck about me or my community, they haven’t been meaningfully progressive in any way and I see them drifting away from my values and embracing the bullshit far left.

I actually wanted Trump to win, but seems like he didn’t. I think he’s a pos but right now I’d rather him be president than Biden or Clinton. Though, again, I’d prefer Bernie, but with a republican senate and SC. Regardless, I’m the kind of person who thinks that whoever the potus may be, my job is to live well and care for my family. I don’t believe in blaming the potus for everything and I don’t deify politicians, they are nearly all scum.

Anyhoo, the people I work with don’t even know that much about me. But they’ve assumed in the past that I’m a far right conservative essentially because I’m a straight dude with a family who likes to fish and I occasionally criticize Democrats. I’ve decided to stop talking politics at work a long time ago with these people. The flip side of that coin is that all the conservatives I’ve worked with from moderate to full Trumpers (aside from literally one dude) were pretty cool guys and didn’t give a fuck when I criticized republicans. They respected my opinions and didn’t need me to agree with them to validate themselves. The liberals were the complete opposite. They were judgy, angsty, hateful, wildly narrow minded and openly racist.

The idiots will vote who's the least worst pedophile for the rest of their lives. Who cares? They're literally happy to vote between two guys on the verge of going senile that both have dogshit policy. Imagine voting for a guy that sniffs little girls on tv

Kennedy was banging girls to such a degree the Secret Service spent most of their time sneaking them out the back door.. Clinton getting a BJ in the Oval Office.. Welcome to Politics.. At least Joe is too old to really take advantage LOL. Can't be much left in that pencil..

it's just tribalism..."you're either part of us or you're the enemy"

if you stick your neck out like that...you better be ready to verbally take on the mob...as a college professor, i get a lot of practice doing this so it's easier for me now...but for the common person who is afraid of public speaking, it can seem insurmountable

Back