Police kill Hundreds of Americans each year but don't report over half of them to FBI

Those of us who dig into federal reports and look for statistics know the sorry state of information that exists today, compared to our capabilities. Studies come out far apart and are often not relevant enough to previous studies to draw as hard of conclusions as we would like. We are smart enough that we should be able to conclude much more from crime and law enforcement statistics. We need to suck it up and spend the money on perpetual reports, by incentivizing states and counties to standardize and report weekly.

Speed limits CDS?.....really bro? Anyway I will admit there have been many publicized instances of police going waaaay off the reservation in terms of corrupt conduct. The Rampart scandal be one of the more recent cases. So I will adjust my prior assertion that no cop wants to shoot people for blood thirsty reasons because there has been found to be a criminal element in some departments especially big departments.and I too was young and silly when I first got on the street I really wanted to get involved in a high speed vehicle pursuit. I know it was immature, but hey I was raised on mad max and lethal weapon so give me a break. But I will say I never wanted to be involved in a shooting.

There are 300 million plus people in this country and hundreds of thousands of police interactions per day. the "math" of such numbers mandates that some of these encounters are going to go sideways and either a cop or a civilian is going to get shot. But to some people that think were all at the bar slapping high fives and being all modern day Wyatt Earp after shooting someone uhhh no.

A police involved shooting is one of the most stressful events an Leo can go through during his career.

A police involved shooting is one of the most stressful events an Leo can go through during his career.

That's for sure. My uncle shot a man (didn't kill him) during his police career. He told me that it was something that haunted him for the rest of his life.

know who else had a family to raise and go home to?

url

Losing an argument so you whip out the ol nazi stuff. Stay classy.

After the first two sentences, I agree.

Yes, I should have edited more thoroughly.

Speed limits CDS?.....really bro?

You're a cop not taking my (genuine and legitimate) concern seriously but I'm supposed to care about the poor poor policeman? Quit your job if you don't like how the public perceives your profession. You can find a new job easier than I can escape police presence. :icon_lol:

The speed limits are bullshit and the constant breaking of them promotes disrespect for the law and safety procedures. Additionally, they give cops an "in" to perpetrate corrupt behavior. You really disagree?

Not my problem, i walk unharmed and when i cross the police it's always a quick and mutual salute, best of luck to all of you this year too ! :p

But if you live in a population of animals, illegals, and anti americas, and future terrorist who want cops dead 24/7....What should the cops do, buy them a cup of coffee...

Even prior to your moderating this thread was far less misleading than scores of other WR threads and had far more factual information provided. You, both personally and referring to the group of mods, are hardly consistent. If I were prone to speculate, I might think that you often moderate in a targeted way based on your own pet topics.

Havre to agree with Dochtor here

I was reading some figures the other day and in the UK in 2013 there were zero people killed by police. In the previous year there were two deaths if I remember correctly.

The difference is police in the UK would only try to kill you as an absolute last resort, while American cops are itching to kill people and the moment they think they have find anything justifying them to kill someone, they will not hesitate and blow your hear off. Some of the people they killed had over 20 shots in them. Too many American cops are in the force for wrong reasons and love this kind of shit imo

It's nice to see you can edit your posts. Next time why don't you cite all your sources to begin with instead of scrambling to find out something that supports your OP when you're proven wrong.

I did. It was in the OP when I made the thread. You guys just chose to ignore it.

Everyone knows most cops are good people and well deserving of praise, only a naive fool would insist otherwise

HOWEVER, With the abundance of shootings and brutality cases that has occurred over the last few years, I think the obvious answer is that the training systems that we have in place are inadequate given the job at hand.

The Garner case is a good example. I've gotten in discussions with a couple of cops that I train with about it. You can argue that what he did warranted restraint under the current rules and regulations, (he raised his voice. Maybe appeared "threatening") but did he NEED to be put in a choke hold and restrained? Could the situation have been handled without any physical contact? I think the answer to that is obvious and that's the biggest problem. The officers showing no concern for his well being is another issue entirely that's disturbing about it.

The " Us vs Them" mentality needs to be resolved.

Everyone knows most cops are good people and well deserving of praise, only a naive fool would insist otherwise

HOWEVER, With the abundance of shootings and brutality cases that has occurred over the last few years, I think the obvious answer is that the training systems that we have in place are inadequate given the job at hand.

The " Us vs Them" mentality needs to be resolved.

Exactly, police officers aren't adequately trained in how to deescalate a situation and talk people down. Instead a lot of them are confrontational which only raises the tension of a situation.

That would mean the police have killed roughly 14,000 Americans since 9/11,. That works out to about three per day, or 1,100 a year.

Look, I think American gun laws are a disgrace and would adopt those of the UK in a heartbeat if I could, but I'm very confused about your numbers. How did you arrive at the "roughly 14,000 Americans killed" stat?

On a separate note--and I'm not torching you at all--TIME should be ashamed of that piece. It's crap. The slant is bogus and the reporting is incredibly lazy. Non-federal law enforcement agencies aren't obligated to report stats to the FBI. Nor is the FBI obligated to collect them. NOR is it clear what, if anything, the FBI could or would do with the information...other than have an accurate quote for the WSJ.

The information is well-documented and readily available on the state level if someone cares to do the research. Someone like, say... TIME, the biggest news magazine in the entire world, who apparently finds the situation concerning. All they'd have to do is call each of the 50 states and tally the number.

God knows the number, whatever it is, should be tallied. And it is undoubtedly FAR too high. But an iconic outlet like TIME has to get the story straight so people who might induce change know what they're talking about.

-Harry Flashman

Look, I think American gun laws are a disgrace and would adopt those of the UK in a heartbeat if I could, but I'm very confused about your numbers. How did you arrive at the "roughly 14,000 Americans killed" stat?

1000 a year. 14 years since 9/11 = 14,000.

Even the lower estimate in the OP places it around 900 each year. So the range given using the different sources is between 900 to 1100.

1000 a year. 14 years since 9/11 = 14,000.

Where did you get 1000? The only hard number I'm seeing is a total of 550 unreported cases from the 105 largest police agencies over the course of 5 years.

Where did you get 1000? The only hard number I'm seeing is a total of 550 unreported cases from the 105 largest police agencies over the course of 5 years.

It's the last link in the OP. The articles also say the FBI say 450 cases were reported but they believe 550 cases were unreported.

So either way you look at it, whether you take the independent study figure of 1100 or the FBI's figure of 900 it hits closer to 1000.

It's the last link in the OP. The articles also say the FBI say 450 cases were reported but they believe 550 cases were unreported.

So either way you look at it, whether you take the independent study figure of 1100 or the FBI's figure of 900 it hits closer to 1000.

Ohhhh. My bad. I got so pissy about TIME I missed the last one. It's the killedbypolice people, right? I'm aware of them. The do their tally with a news aggregator, right? That's a little dodgy, but I'm sure they're close.

I'm saddened it's so high, but I believe there are 10,000 crime-related gun deaths a year, so it makes sense that cops would account for 10%. It's ghoulish math, but sadly reasonable.

I don't like to generalize with the personal, but I know a few cops. Most of them are dickheads, a few are racists AND dickheads (I'm in SC.), but even the worst of them aren't murderous. It's essentially a bunch of kids with a lot of adrenaline, lots of stress, mostly legitimate danger, and guns... Awful mix. I can't see it getting better except in agonizing increments. (Crappy journalism is a MASSIVE obstacle.)

I notice you're from Ireland. Are you old enough to have any perspective on civilian/state violence? Any advice for us?

Is there a number that can be pulled out of these stats that show how many COMPLETELY INNOCENT people have been killed by police negligence.

And I'm not talking about a guy with a gun in his pants who was gunned down before he could even pull it out.

I'm speaking specifically on the police being morons and just going Wild West on someone who without question wasn't doing anything that should get them killed.

Is that stat available.

Back