Police brutality/excessive force

I'm not sure I understand your point with respect to my post. BTW I'm totally against "Stop and frisk." It's a clear violation of the 4th Amendment.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought you said you were thinking pragmatically and people should try their best to stay out of police line of sight. My response was saying that I don't think it's impractical to want the police force to do a better job or to even demand it.

Really, I don't think it's very desirable nor even practical, especially for some groups, to live in fear and be a caricature of an upstanding citizen.

Police get away with a lot that they aren't supposed to because most people don't understand their rights as citizens and many cops use their position of authority to intimidate people into doing exactly what they say. One of the most common examples are vehicle searches. A lot of people say yes as soon as an officer asks or give in when their "no" answer agitates the officer.

I had my car illegally searched before. Pulled me over because I stopped at a green light (late at night. Probably too sleepy to be driving).

He was convinced I smelled like weed (I've never smoked anything in my life). Cuffed me and sat me on the curb and him and 4 other cops that showed up went through everything in my car, despite me stating a dozen times I didn't consent.

Of course, they didn't find anything, and he sent me on my way with a citation. I contacted a lawyer, and he told unless I had video taped the encounter, there was very little chance I'd a lawsuit.

I can only imagine how many other people this happens to.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought you said you were thinking pragmatically and people should try their best to stay out of police line of sight. My response was saying that I don't think it's impractical to want the police force to do a better job or to even demand it.

Really, I don't think it's very desirable nor even practical, especially for some groups, to live in fear and be a caricature of an upstanding citizen.

I'll clarify:

Individuals should avoid the police for their own good. I speaking completely from the individual's point of view. If one get's stopped by the police, what's the best case scenario? They simply let you go. But, it can be much worse.

I was once speeding down an interstate highway. I got stopped. I kind of knew I was going to get a ticket. When the police ran my license someone with the same name was wanted in a different state for a serious felony. That's where the fun began. An hour later I was on my way. If I hadn't been speeding they wouldn't have stopped me. I make every effort to NOT be stopped.

I had my car illegally searched before. Pulled me over because I stopped at a green light (late at night. Probably too sleepy to be driving).

He was convinced I smelled like weed (I've never smoked anything in my life). Cuffed me and sat me on the curb and him and 4 other cops that showed up went through everything in my car, despite me stating a dozen times I didn't consent.

Of course, they didn't find anything, and he sent me on my way with a citation. I contacted a lawyer, and he told unless I had video taped the encounter, there was very little chance I'd a lawsuit.

I can only imagine how many other people this happens to.

It happens all the time. You did the right thing by not consenting to a search. If they would've found something and charged you you would've had a better defense.

One should ALWAYS record encounters with police. There are apps that send video straight to the cloud. It could save you a fortune.

One should ALWAYS record encounters with police. There are apps that send video straight to the cloud. It could save you a fortune.

i am 41 yrs old and have had 1 incident with the police (completely my fault i blew a stop sign in a place i know the cops sit) how many encounters do you need to have honestly? i mean are people speeding blowing through school zones smoking weed blasting music? i never understand people who have like 10+ "run ins" with the cops... at what point do you blame the person?

Last edited:
i am 41 yrs old and have had 1 incident with the police (completely my fault i blew a stop sign in a place i know the cops sit) how many encounters do you need to have honestly? i mean are people speeding blowing through school zones smoking weed blasting music? i never understand people who have like 10+ "run ins" with the cops... at what point do you blame the person?

Ask a black guy that works in predominately white neighborhood. I have a co-worker that wont even leave the building anymore unless its too go home. El Segundo,Ca cops are dicks

I'm a white guy that smokes a little herb and drives conservative most of the time. In my old car I got pulled over just about every time a cop was behind me. It's been a year and half with my new car and never get looked at twice

Old car was lowered Acura Integra with rims and basic bolt ons. Exhaust was not obnoxious. New car is 350 z with rims and blacked out tailights

Ask a black guy that works in predominately white neighborhood. I have a co-worker that wont even leave the building anymore unless its too go home. El Segundo,Ca cops are dicks

I can understand that. I'm white and once worked at a bar in Texas. I couldn't give my black co-worker a ride home after work without getting stopped by the police. White guy and black guy in car meant drugs. White guy leaving a black neighborhood late at night: drugs. Fortunately, we both survived the encounters.

I can understand that. I'm white and once worked at a bar in Texas. I couldn't give my black co-worker a ride home after work without getting stopped by the police. White guy and black guy in car meant drugs. White guy leaving a black neighborhood late at night: drugs. Fortunately, we both survived the encounters.

Ya I used to take this lady home after work who lived in Compton. I'd get stopped often and asked what brought me to the neighborhood

4th-amendment.jpg

Back