1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »
Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Police brutality/excessive force

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by s karlyle, Jan 9, 2015.

1. 7437 Banned Banned

what emergencies will calling the police help me? do tell.

2. oleDirtyBast4rd Banned Banned

Stolen car, theft inside the home, people trying to break in, hit and run, car accidents in general, evictions, trespassing, and the list can go on.

I even included only the ones I wouldn't consider "snitching"

3. HugeMember Stupid F*cker

The police DO NOT have to help with anything. They do. But, they don't have to. There is no legal requirement to do so.

4. RedRocket44 Brown Belt

I've had the same thoughts as well. It seems that no matter if it's blatantly obvious that a cop has crossed the line, it's the unions job to defend the offending officer and minimize punishment as much as possible, whereas to me, in would be more in their best interests to not defend cops who cross the line and defend the overall integrity of the majority of officers who are good people. Of course they can't do that when they are collecting money from both a good and bad cops - they have to represent them all.

It's sort of similar to how players associations in sport leagues have to continue to represent a player who get suspended over and over again, even though they are bad press for their sport.

5. j98 Brown Belt

stolen car - will be sold/chop shopped before cops even bother to look into it
    break in- you will be looted/killed before cops ever get the dispatch
    hit and run - better have all the details including licence plate or gtfo
    evictions - will make a broke person homeless, sounds like the best way for a cop to spend his time, they will def help with this.
    trespassing - "please leave" ..."ok" problem solved, big deal.

6. Strychnine Titanium Belt

[​IMG]

The problem is that every Cop in America thinks that every person they encounter has one of these in their front-seat. Shoot first, ask questions later.

7. HugeMember Stupid F*cker

This is true. They're much more diligent in carrying out the interests of the government. They'll get their money from fines or taxes first.

Actually, I'm Okay with it. I just don't like any pretension that they're here to "protect" people (one's person and property). They do not have that duty. Your protection is your responsibility.

8. klnOmega Banned Banned

Well, they shouldn't treat the person poorly even if they do have one of those in the front seat.

The cops walk around with guns on their hip, but that certainly doesn't mean you are legally allowed to draw on them.

They shouldn't be allowed to draw on you, just because you have one on your hip.

9. klnOmega Banned Banned

Most liberals and conservatives are authoritarian bootlickers. You're blinders just allow you to see it when its conservatives.

This time last year, liberals were out chanting about how everyone should turn in their guns because our government could never become tyrannical, and the police will protect us.

10. HugeMember Stupid F*cker

I couldn't agree more.

Leftists would cheer the deaths of southern/western rednecks during a gun confiscation. They wouldn't have cared if the Federal government would've massacred the cattle rancher and his family in Nevada. Where were they at Waco or Ruby ridge?

11. s karlyle الجسر

Ever heard of profiling??? How you suppose I avoid that. Not walk down the street while being black or Latino??

12. s karlyle الجسر

Because the conservatives are not the ones being profiled and unjustly killed by the police. So yeah they see cops as the "good guys". But in the different parts of the city police violate citizens rights every day! Police abuse there power and treat people like garbage. There just a legal gang in my eyes. Organized legal criminals.

13. HugeMember Stupid F*cker

As I said, some have an advantage in avoiding police. Some do not. But, I'll stand by the notion that one can minimize their own exposure.

For example, both of the high-profile cases involving police excessive force lately could have been avoided. I in no way excuse such abuse. But, robbing a store or selling things illegally will get one the attention of the police. That can and does lead to very severe consequences.

I understand that it not be right or just. It's just a pragmatic view.

14. oleDirtyBast4rd Banned Banned

I address that in another post. I think it'd be stupid to LEGALLY require somebody to put themselves in harm way. My only point was that they are indeed here to help. The guy I quoted said they were not

15. HugeMember Stupid F*cker

If the police actually help you it's because they chose to.

16. Bork Purple Belt

From the DOJ investigation on the CDP:

17. FinalFight Red Belt

Seriously. The reason why he keeps getting let off the hook is because the public enable him/them to.

18. HugeMember Stupid F*cker

I'm not sure I understand your point with respect to my post. BTW I'm totally against "Stop and frisk." It's a clear violation of the 4th Amendment.

19. jk7707 Silver Belt

Police get away with a lot that they aren't supposed to because most people don't understand their rights as citizens and many cops use their position of authority to intimidate people into doing exactly what they say. One of the most common examples are vehicle searches. A lot of people say yes as soon as an officer asks or give in when their "no" answer agitates the officer.

20. nhbbear Duty Belt

On the wall, pissing off the edge of the world
    First, the cop that pulled the gun on me was a different department-a suburb of the city I currently work for. The cop I had worked with was the one that saved me from getting shot by some gang bangers.

I think you will obviously see more body cameras being worn, but there will always be incidents that are not caught on video because they happen so fast, maybe while the officer is not even on a call. Maybe we will see a reduction in the amount of swat raids-but the majority of raids produce not only drugs, but guns as well, in the possession of violent felons-so they will likely continue unimpeded in some areas.

Low Men in Yellow Coats is a short story in Hearts in Atlantis, and I think one of the main characters is the breaker, Ted Brautigan, but my memory is not that great as it has been a few years since I read the Tower.