Police brutality/excessive force

One of the worst that I've ever seen was this

[YT]dQ4B8Kr7vlw[/YT]

This rustles me more than almost anything that police have done. Sure the kid was drunk and obnoxious, but what these pigs did was terrible. Not only for the assault, but the fact that they arrested and charged him with serious offences. How many guys are in prison right now, how many guys have had their life fucked by a felony record for bullshit like this? Honestly those cops should get the death penalty, man. Life without parole or something. Send a message.

I tried googling to find if anything came of this, if these officers faced any discipline but I couldn't find anything. It seems at the time the police chief backed his officers. The most recent thing I could find was from last January saying the officers filed a motion asking to stay the lawsuit until the kids criminal charges were resolved, but it was denied by the judge. So no idea what happened. This is another case worth marching in the streets for.

Yup.

It is sad because you know there are thousands if not tens of thousands of guys in jail for situations like this.

the worst thing is not the police beating the tar out of the kid for being rude. the worst thing is that after giving the beating they lie and say the person was assaulting them and thus get the person charged with a felony thus truly ruining their lives.

We had a situation here in Canada where a fight broke out in a parking lot. A guy was trying to break up and be the peace maker and keep the guys apart. Cops show up and one cop is primed for action and focuses on the peacemaker. even as peacemaker dude is putting his hands up to surrender and saying he was not fighting, the cop grabs him and slams him off a nearby car and then proceeds to beat the crap out of him. The guy gets charged with all sorts of things like felony assault of a cop when a bunch of cops on the scene lie and say he initiated the attack.

This kid was going to jail for a long time with no hope. And then a nearby private parking lot surveillance camera footage was provided to the media showing the incident and how clear it was that not only did he not initiate, he never even fought back. It was a one sided, unprovoked beating by the cops.

You can imagine that this is something that can happen to any random citizen if there is no video footage. You can do nothing wrong and in fact be trying to do right and yet still end up in jail for life due to cops like these.

One of the worst that I've ever seen was this

[YT]dQ4B8Kr7vlw[/YT]

This rustles me more than almost anything that police have done. Sure the kid was drunk and obnoxious, but what these pigs did was terrible. Not only for the assault, but the fact that they arrested and charged him with serious offences. How many guys are in prison right now, how many guys have had their life fucked by a felony record for bullshit like this? Honestly those cops should get the death penalty, man. Life without parole or something. Send a message.

I tried googling to find if anything came of this, if these officers faced any discipline but I couldn't find anything. It seems at the time the police chief backed his officers. The most recent thing I could find was from last January saying the officers filed a motion asking to stay the lawsuit until the kids criminal charges were resolved, but it was denied by the judge. So no idea what happened. This is another case worth marching in the streets for.

Police are all scum. Every single one. People say there are "good" cops, but the "good" cops allow stuff like that all the time.

Police are all scum. Every single one. People say there are "good" cops, but the "good" cops allow stuff like that all the time.

Cops may be scum but they are keeping law. order, and stability throughout the country.

Cops may be scum but they are keeping law. order, and stability throughout the country.

I don't see why the country should keep the current system when everyone knows they are pieces of shit. obviously awesome form of police, but the current one should be totally scrapped.

The Oscar Grant case to me is a good measuring stick because its about as negligent as a police officer can be. The cop shot a man in the back who was handcuffed and lying face down and it was caught on camera with a over a dozen witnesses. The cop also had a horrible defense which was that he thought he grabbed his taser instead of his service weapon. Even if you ignore the arguments about the differences in size and weight of the taser versus his gun, he had no justifiable reason to to tase a man that was handcuffed and lying on his stomach. This is basically a slam dunk case for the prosecution and he was convicted but he was only sentenced to 2 years and the judge gave him double time served. He ended up doing less than a year in prison.

You likely won't ever get a conviction of a cop with anything less than video evidence. If its not on camera, the cop will walk. If it is on camera, the cop may serve a nominal jail sentence.

I love the cop hate circle jerk going on in here.

We don't all have the luxury of being able to avoid the police.

There are many things one can do to avoid police. Some have an advantage in doing that, but anyone can avoid certain situations that attract their attention.

The actual motto of the police forces of the entire country is "to serve and protect"..... The people. Wow

News Flash: The police have no duty to protect individuals. If you dial 911 and they simply don't show up, you have no legal recourse. This has be adjudicated many times.

The interesting thing to me is how sides are taken, and they seem to follow political leanings. Conservatives tend to support cops even in cases of clear brutality and liberals do not (and support things like requiring cops to wear cameras).

To me, the reasonable position is to oppose police brutality and to also oppose violence against police. Seeing so many pick a side makes zero sense to me.

There's clearly and issue though. And I'm surprised that so many conservatives are cool with a police state.

This is a solid post.

The interesting thing to me is how sides are taken, and they seem to follow political leanings. Conservatives tend to support cops even in cases of clear brutality and liberals do not (and support things like requiring cops to wear cameras).

To me, the reasonable position is to oppose police brutality and to also oppose violence against police. Seeing so many pick a side makes zero sense to me.

There's clearly and issue though. And I'm surprised that so many conservatives are cool with a police state.

Most conservatives and liberals are authoritarians. They just wish to use the state to carry out their own version of morality. For example, conservatives have no issue with the "war on drugs" and happily accept things such as no-knock raids as long as they happen in some else's neighborhood. On the other hand, liberals would be happy to see door-to-door gun confiscation. Leftists in NYC didn't seem to have a problem with "stop and frisk." They just lamented that it happened disproportionately to blacks and latinos. White conservatives didn't care as long as it wasn't happening to them.

I have a certain neutral position on the police. Unfortunately, they're a necessary component of society. They do good and they do bad. I sneer when any speak of how dangerous the job is. They chose the job. As some have said, there are more dangerous jobs. Be a convenient store clerk or a pizza delivery guy in the wrong neighborhood.

BTW the county sheriff lives just around the corner from me. He seems like a nice man and is very friendly. But, I don't really trust him or wish to have any interaction with him other than a casual "hello." With the huge number of laws out there one never knows when something can be used against him.

because cops are garbage. trust a drug dealer before i trust a cop.

I've had guns pointed at me because cops thought I was someone else (a black dude did something in my neighborhood, which meant........you know.) They in't apologize after cuffing me, making me lie face own, then keeping crouched on a curb for nearly half an hour. It sucked. I felt picked on. Impotent. I wanted to fling race-cards like shuriken.

After my divorce I moved into an apartment building. A police officer who lives on tenth floor came into the elevator with me. He was in full uniform and I guess maybe was starting his shift. I had just finished smoking a joint and absolutely reeked. We rode in silence, innternally I was blasted with paranoia.

When I got to my floor, I was about to leave and he goes "Smells good."

We shared a chortle.

I'm no cop-sucker by any stretch, but when you meet a decent cop it humanizes them a bit more. Even likkle things like not busting you for your kush.

A mod once posted a year or two ago (Madmick, I think and I'm paraphrasing like a mofo) that these instances of police brutality can be likened to collateral damage in the same way wars are fought. Its not a pretty viewpoint, however it seems a lot more rational one than using reflexive hate and mistrust as a primary default setting in regards to how you view them.

I'm starting to think police unions have a lot more to do with the perceived lack of accountability cops face when they go rabid, than any inherent evil from the officers themselves.

I also think that it might be a good idea to have cops live in the areas where they patrol. It would be a great boost for the community policing ideal.

Lastly, I think the training they are required to undertake should be expanded to focus on mental health and race relations, in addition to their regular training (although I have to admit I know practically nothing about about the true extent of their training).

Maybe with those changes people might see themnot as cops but as warrior-philosphers, or gunslingers like in Stephen Kings Darktower series lol

I've had guns pointed at me because cops thought I was someone else (a black dude did something in my neighborhood, which meant........you know.) They in't apologize after cuffing me, making me lie face own, then keeping crouched on a curb for nearly half an hour. It sucked. I felt picked on. Impotent. I wanted to fling race-cards like shuriken.

After my divorce I moved into an apartment building. A police officer who lives on tenth floor came into the elevator with me. He was in full uniform and I guess maybe was starting his shift. I had just finished smoking a joint and absolutely reeked. We rode in silence, innternally I was blasted with paranoia.

We shared a chortle.

I'm no cop-sucker by any stretch, but when you meet a decent cop it humanizes them a bit more. Even likkle things like not busting you for your kush.

A mod once posted a year or two ago (Madmick, I think and I'm paraphrasing like a mofo) that these instances of police brutality can be likened to collateral damage in the same way wars are fought. Its not a pretty viewpoint, however it seems a lot more rational one than using reflexive hate and mistrust as a primary default setting in regards to how you view them.

I'm starting to think police unions have a lot more to do with the perceived lack of accountability cops face when they go rabid, than any inherent evil from the officers themselves.

I also think that it might be a good idea to have cops live in the areas where they patrol. It would be a great boost for the community policing ideal.

Lastly, I think the training they are required to undertake should be expanded to focus on mental health and race relations, in addition to their regular training (although I have to admit I know practically nothing about about the true extent of their training).

Maybe with those changes people might see themnot as cops but as warrior-philosphers, or gunslingers like in Stephen Kings Darktower series lol

This would be a good way to put it. They are accountable to no one, not there to help you, and armed.

Not exactly the people i feel the need to trust. I avoid police like the plague. Been arrested exactly 1 time, and didnt even make it to the station. Got drug out of my car with a gun in my face cause they thought I was drunk. Turns out I wasnt. Good times.

Know how many times gangbangers have drug me out of a car and stuck a gun in my face? 0.

We shared a chortle.

My first memory of a cop was an old police man named Joe. He looked like Roy Scheider from Jaws. He was working the cross walk for my elementary school. A driver was not paying attention and was going to hit us when Joe jumped in front of us to protect us. The car skidded to a stop with a loud screech. The tirade that escaped his mouth was at the time, funny to us. But I recognized that he would have rather been run over than one of us. My second interaction was a cop from the same department. He pointed a gun in my face when I swore on my life that I did not shoot out some lady's window. He said "Son, then I should shoot you now because you are a liar." The next time I had a gun pointed at me was a few years after that when I had the audacity to say "Watch it" to some gang bangers speeding through a parking lot. The cop that was working at that McDonalds came running over and with his gun drawn, removed the thugs and arrested them. I worked with that cop for a few years before he retried.

So what I am saying, is that I have had a few good and bad experiences as well. And I am cognizant of that when I deal with people, trying to dispel the "Us vs Them" myth.

As for officers working the beats they patrol, I have mixed feelings. I am more in favor of it because it makes the officers really care and make more of an investment in their job. Their work becomes more of a community oriented approach.

The biggest negative of that is that it becomes more personal when you are dealing with people that will drag your neighborhood down, and that can have a negative impact because it can bring emotion into it. Emotion should not play a role in police work, IMO. Another slight negative is that some officers(myself included) end up being too lenient with certain issues, such as traffic enforcement because they do not want to write their neighbors for running stop signs and speeding.

There are also some neighborhoods that no cop would ever want to live in. Maybe the department could offer incentives to do so, but I certainly would not want to live in some of the neighborhoods that I used to patrol.

Oh, and I am laughing at the Dark Tower reference, as I literally just put down "The Low men in yellow coats" to post this.

My first memory of a cop was an old police man named Joe. He looked like Roy Scheider from Jaws. He was working the cross walk for my elementary school. A driver was not paying attention and was going to hit us when Joe jumped in front of us to protect us. The car skidded to a stop with a loud screech. The tirade that escaped his mouth was at the time, funny to us. But I recognized that he would have rather been run over than one of us. My second interaction was a cop from the same department. He pointed a gun in my face when I swore on my life that I did not shoot out some lady's window. He said "Son, then I should shoot you now because you are a liar." The next time I had a gun pointed at me was a few years after that when I had the audacity to say "Watch it" to some gang bangers speeding through a parking lot. The cop that was working at that McDonalds came running over and with his gun drawn, removed the thugs and arrested them. I worked with that cop for a few years before he retried.

So what I am saying, is that I have had a few good and bad experiences as well. And I am cognizant of that when I deal with people, trying to dispel the "Us vs Them" myth.

As for officers working the beats they patrol, I have mixed feelings. I am more in favor of it because it makes the officers really care and make more of an investment in their job. Their work becomes more of a community oriented approach.

The biggest negative of that is that it becomes more personal when you are dealing with people that will drag your neighborhood down, and that can have a negative impact because it can bring emotion into it. Emotion should not play a role in police work, IMO. Another slight negative is that some officers(myself included) end up being too lenient with certain issues, such as traffic enforcement because they do not want to write their neighbors for running stop signs and speeding.

There are also some neighborhoods that no cop would ever want to live in. Maybe the department could offer incentives to do so, but I certainly would not want to live in some of the neighborhoods that I used to patrol.

Oh, and I am laughing at the Dark Tower reference, as I literally just put down "The Low men in yellow coats" to post this.

Yo, Childe Roland!

Thanks for sharing your experiences: Crazy, scary and cool.

I'm wondering if the cop you worked with who had drawn his weapon on you, ever explained why he did it. Weren't you pissed at him?

Also, what do think are going be the biggest changes in policing will in view of the sharpened media focus and the advent of cellphone cams?

Is Low Men in Yellow Coats a new book in the series?

This would be a good way to put it. They are accountable to no one, not there to help you, and armed.

Not exactly the people i feel the need to trust. I avoid police like the plague. Been arrested exactly 1 time, and didnt even make it to the station. Got drug out of my car with a gun in my face cause they thought I was drunk. Turns out I wasnt. Good times.

Know how many times gangbangers have drug me out of a car and stuck a gun in my face? 0.

You seem dense. They are there to help you of course. Was this a joke? And before you go bringing up the supreme court again, realize that a legal responsibility and job responsibility are 2 very different things.

You seem dense. They are there to help you of course. Was this a joke? And before you go bringing up the supreme court again, realize that a legal responsibility and job responsibility are 2 very different things.

help me with what? having too much money? cant think of too many situations that police are going to do anything to help me.

Ok you are being purposely dense I'm sure of it. Most cops are very friendly and will help out in various situations. Responding to emergencies is the obvious one. Little things like helping people with directions, buying meals for people, etc. Of course a cop stopping you is going to be more on edge, but to pretend they aren't their to help in various ways is laughable. It's in their fucking job description brah

Back