Police brutality/excessive force

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by s karlyle, Jan 9, 2015.

1. s karlyle

s karlyle الجسر

What would be a circumstance where a law enforcement officer actually faced a penalty for excessive force? Cops have been killing unarmed citizens for such a long time... I just wonder what has to happen for them to get in trouble? I understand the dangers of the job. But it's like a cop being scared or feeling threatened is enough to kill some one and get off. But I feel like "feeling" like your in danger is not the same as actually being in danger. So are cops above the legal system they supposedly uphold??

2. Viva

Viva Thanks Cody Parkey!

They are often times, though its much harder when their actions are documented. Cough cough make sure to always record police interactions.

3. norcal313

norcal313 Purple Belt

You might want to start with understanding unarmed citizens kill people every day. You make it sound like all it takes is fear and cops can shoot people.

Every situation that I've seen in the news recently (fake gun, person resisting and/or attacking cops,etc) makes me wonder not about why the cop shot, but why the hell were those people doing that to the cop?

Seems like the real issue is a lack of common sense or a death wish for these people.

4. s karlyle

s karlyle الجسر

Thad's what I'm saying. There have been cases where cops kill unarmed civilians on film it what seems to be "unreasonable" circumstances. And still... No punishment.

5. Hatestorm

Hatestorm P4P Hottest Smelling Avatar

Verbal, physical, sexual abuse...

I don't think there is a limit to what the police can do to humans.

6. s karlyle

s karlyle الجسر

"Unarmed people kill people everyday"??? I don't hear about "unarmed" people killing people everyday. We're on sherdog I know unarmed can present danger. But the average u.s. citizen is not an expert martial artist and dose not pose same risk. Why are people attacking police??? Maybe because they know cops kill us nothing so you may be fighting for your life. But a well trained law official should be able deescalate most of these situations before they go this far. My question is why are the police so quick to use there deadliest means of defense so fast? Tasers pepper spray and billy clubs! They don't have to just shoot people.

7. s karlyle

s karlyle الجسر

The police killed my female cousin in jail. Cremated her before the autopsy.

8. Horse Style

Horse Style Silver Belt

Oh so you think only an unarmed untrained person can pose no threat to another person?

Move on folks, nothing to see here.

EDIT: Also note that in a lot of cases, the cop doesn't know the person is in fact unarmed until after the fact. It only takes a second for someone to pull out a gun and start shooting. It would be foolish for cops to assume everyone is unarmed until proven otherwise.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  9. klnOmega

klnOmega Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

If someone attacks me unarmed, I am still going to arm myself.

1. Even though Deshaun may not be a trained martial artist, if he is looking to hurt me, I'm under no obligation to give him a "fair fight".

2. Spend some time watching stomps to KO'd people on worldstar to see what untrained people can do. While they won't be winning belts anytime soon, any idiot can swing a huge haymaker and hurt you if it lands.

3. I have weapons on my. What if my attacker gets my weapons. Then they are armed and I am unarmed. That's a bad situation for me.

4. You can't be sure someone is unarmed. Its not like no one has ever started losing a fight, then whipped a knife out.

Bottom line is, you have an obligation to your family and friends to keep yourself healthy and alive. If someone is trying to unlawful do you harm, you are an idiot to not take advantage of all the tools at your disposal.

That said...I do wish police would invest in more less-than-lethal weaponry, especially when they expect conflict ahead of time.

10. HugeMember

HugeMember Stupid F*cker

Avoid police. It's hazardous to you health and well being.

11. Horse Style

Horse Style Silver Belt

Also the non-lethal weapons don't necessarily stop attackers. You can pepper spray someone and they can keep coming forward, even more pissed off. Tasers don't stop attackers in their tracks either and from reading posts from some officers on this forum, the taser doesn't always attach properly when fired so it can be ineffective sometimes.

12. s karlyle

s karlyle الجسر

Not my point at all. The question is what's considered unreasonable force when it comes to the police. Your completely missing the actual question.

13. 7437

7437 Gold Belt

This.

Police are armed, and see you as a possible threat, and possibly armed. And unlike most people, they know that if they kill you and it turns out they were in the wrong, or just kill you accidentally, they wont be punished for it. No incentive to use restraint.

14. Horse Style

Horse Style Silver Belt

I didn't miss anything. I was addressing your ridiculous post that insinuated that an unarmed person doesn't pose much of a threat if that person is untrained.

15. s karlyle

s karlyle الجسر

I understand what your saying.. But unless your an officer of the law it's irrelevant. The polices main duty isn't to protect themselves... It's to protect the citizens of there jurisdiction.

16. 7437

7437 Gold Belt

I believe that the Kelly Thomas case proved that there is literally nothing that is considered excessive force.

17. Horse Style

Horse Style Silver Belt

lol wut?

18. s karlyle

s karlyle الجسر

I agree. And that's basically my point. Yet people still defend the police as a whole like they are above the law just because they are suppose to enforce it. It's despicable and is one of the worse aspects of the american judicial system.

19. 7437

7437 Gold Belt

Lozito V New York is case law last year showing that NYPD has no obligation to protect citizens. Watching an unarmed man fight an active serial killer with a knife is well within reasonable behavior for police.

20. Hatestorm

Hatestorm P4P Hottest Smelling Avatar

Avoiding them, can just as well draw attention from them, and result in your public execution.