Police and Law Enforcement and hand to hand defensive abilities

Wow, I hope that changes. I may have bad personal feels about cops, but if you don't have the proper training I can definitely understand how it makes expecting police officers to do their jobs well unrealistic.

I bet it's also you. You're part of the problem if you have so many problems with cops. Cops are nice to me almost 100% of the time, because I'm polite and not a dick to them.

95% of the time that I get stopped is because I did something stupid in one of my highly, illegal for the road, cars. ranging from 400-600hp. If the cops really wanted to fuck me up, they'd write Repair Orders for my emission equipment which would easily be $2000 to make it legal again. I've done full smokey burnouts right in front of a shopping mall to prep for race vs. a 10sec Camaro while a cop was hiding. After getting busted, I was polite and honest and he let me go. Just last month, 67 in a 40 zone next to another mall, and I got a verbal warning....because I flatout told the cop that I was just showing off and saw that the long, straight road was clear and relatively safe. I really thought that I'd have to tell him that his Sargeant was my neighbor and friend for over 15 years...but I can't really abuse this, so saved it for another day.

I'm also an ethnic minority and have been profiled a few times. Big deal. I was in bad areas and the cops thought I was buying drugs.

I find many cops will cut you a break if you aren't being an ass.

Having a disabled vet plate helps a lot too. "I have over 9000 Direct Action engagements..." is what I usually say when I get pulled over and they just run in fear.

I believe all officers receive some form of H2H training at the beginning. After that it would be based on the individual to improve/maintaing their skills.

The best of the best (SWAT for example) generally train all the time. They generally gravitate towards MMA-style training. I know one who has a jujitsu base but trains at an MMA gym. Most of his training costs comes out of his own pocket. His police department doesn't provide any additional funding to help him maintain his skills. But his SWAT dpt does get county funding and organizes training programs. These programs may be tailored to their specific needs. I am not sure.

All this may vary from state to state (and even county to county) I think...

I have two cop friends here in NYC and another friend who is on the waiting list for recruitment. He tells us all these stories about cop training and tells us that if in any situation that they are forced to use the H2H combat skills taught to them, they will get their asses beat. This is coming from a non martial artist.

The other cop friend tells me it is heavily based on aikido and JJJ, or at least looks like it. They both agree that they would rather not have learned it and that NOTHING is in fact better than this.

It amazes me that people act like total dicks/amateur lawyers when they find themselves dealing with cops, then wonder why cops are always give them a hard time.

I'm not saying you should be an ass-kissing toady or a good little authority-worshipping Nazi. I'm talking about just being chilled out, give simple direct and honest answers to their questions...usually, you're on your way.

Most cops aren't out to bust everyone's balls. And they're so used to people bullshitting them, claiming special privilege, accusing them of being racists and power-trippers and what-not that they 're pleasantly disarmed. I've gotten over lots of times I could have gotten severely burned-- mostly due to expired registration-- by just being honest/not a dick.

"Yes, officer...I realize my tags are *way* expired. I'm on my ass. I get inspected, I fail, I scrape up the money to fix what failed me, I get an inspection...I gotta fix something else."

Every so often, I'd get a $100 fine. Usually, just got a warning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back