Police and Law Enforcement and hand to hand defensive abilities

I never got the fear of dogs. They aren't very smart and all they can do to hurt you is bite... would be much more afraid of a guy with a gun then a dog if I was a criminal.

For whatever reason people are scared shitless of the K9. Mostly cause it comes at you and doesn't give a shit it you want to quit. I've pointed rifles at people and had them not give two shits. Dog comes out they give up right away.

Two nastiest bites I've heard were both out of Pomona PD. One K9 drug a 120lb crackhead out of a house by his testicles. Second was a rapist who hide between a washer and dryer that the dog scalped.

I never got the fear of dogs. They aren't very smart and all they can do to hurt you is bite... would be much more afraid of a guy with a gun then a dog if I was a criminal.

That said there are 3 police officers from our local force in our dojo. They range from amazing in skill to average to beginner. They are just regular students to me, who have a job that they can utilize their skills in.

have you not seen what dogs can do to people's faces? A dog doesn't show the remorse and restraint a human would.
hqdefault.jpg

have you not seen what dogs can do to people's faces? A dog doesn't show the remorse and restraint a human would.
I know they have nasty bites but the 60-100 pound german shepards the police seem to have around here don't seem too threatening
don't the dogs just clamp and hold?

Generally yes. It's the grabbing of the bite that usually causes damage, not to mention the dogs pull, shake and people freak. I've taken bites in the bite suit and they hurt like hell. One handler took a bite from her dog due to her doing a crap job. Sent her to the hospital needing several stitches.

Think about getting bit when your at a full sprint by a 70lb dog running full sprint and then latching on to your tricep or calf.

As far as police defense tactics, someone who is a 3 stripe white belt would tool the average cop on the ground. Someone with a few months of basic MMA training (who shows up 2-3 times a week to class) would also kick most cops asses.

The advantages we have as a cop are numbers, tools and the fact that use of force policy and court decisions allow us to go up a level of force on what we are presented for the most part. Someone holds up their hands and says they are gonna kick your ass? Cops can taze, pepper spray, baton or go hands on immediately and be covered on use of force.

We have a ton of cops at our department who I can guarantee have never been in any kind of physical altercation prior to getting hired on. Most have no martial arts backgrounds of any kind either.

You just reinforced ever bad stereotype about cops that I ever had.

For whatever reason people are scared shitless of the K9. Mostly cause it comes at you and doesn't give a shit it you want to quit. I've pointed rifles at people and had them not give two shits. Dog comes out they give up right away.

Two nastiest bites I've heard were both out of Pomona PD. One K9 drug a 120lb crackhead out of a house by his testicles. Second was a rapist who hide between a washer and dryer that the dog scalped.

Similar to my previous story- out causing hijinx as a young rapscallion when johnny law came driving up. We saw it was a K-9 unit, so we stayed put instead of hot footing it out of there as per usual.

in the NYPD academy we received the basics of boxing and judo. most guys in my cmd are practioners of either BJJ, boxing or dunkin donuts lol

Honest question, can you please explain?

Sure thing. And I don't mean to be disrespectful with what I'm about to say because I know that there are plenty of good cops out there. But far too many cops I have met in my life have come across as total meat heads who joined the force because they want the action and to be bad asses, but in reality they're really just assholes who would be nothing without their badge and gun.

Sure thing. And I don't mean to be disrespectful with what I'm about to say because I know that there are plenty of good cops out there. But far too many cops I have met in my life have come across as total meat heads who joined the force because they want the action and to be bad asses, but in reality they're really just assholes who would be nothing without their badge and gun.

Not quite sure how you got that out of my post but fair enough.

The "meat head" portion is very department dependent. For example, Fullerton PD hired a bunch of knuckle draggers and paid the price for it with the death of Kelly Thomas.

My main point is departments do a shit job training cops in proper use of force and effective techniques for altercations. Which is generally why you see cops beat the shit out of someone, they have never been trained on how to effectively fight, safely end fights or grapple effectively. Therefore you see batons and tasers and lots of strikes used to make up for that deficiency in training.

The few cops who generally train some kind of martial arts, whether that be BJJ, Krav, Aikido or boxing/muay thai generally are more confident in their abilities and use less force or more effective force to end fights quickly with minimal injuries to all parties.

I've run into too many cops that were assholes for no apparent reason. The second I open my mouth...I'm an obviously cognizant, comprehending human being. I'm always cooperative and these dudes are always yelling and telling me or other people to shut up. I understand you've got a job to do but that doesn't stand in the way of professionalism when you're having a conversation with someone in a non-threatening situation like writing a tail light ticket to someone who has their car off, keys on the dash and license and registration ready when you come to the window.

I understand the level of education to be a police officer isn't that impressive compared to other jobs (like middle management, lol), but it certainly doesn't justify all the meat headdery. Shit, my job sucks and I deal with assholes all day, I'm not allowed to yell.
/rant

Out of curiosity why do you think that departments don't do better jobs training their officers?

It's something that is hard to break departments of. They have their arrest and control taught by their instructors and anything else you suggest may as well be heracy. Also departments would rather you get injured on the street vs in training, as stupid and backwards as that sounds.

It's something that is hard to break departments of. They have their arrest and control taught by their instructors and anything else you suggest may as well be heracy. Also departments would rather you get injured on the street vs in training, as stupid and backwards as that sounds.

Wow, I hope that changes. I may have bad personal feels about cops, but if you don't have the proper training I can definitely understand how it makes expecting police officers to do their jobs well unrealistic.

Didn't read the whole thread but I would suggest the ability to effectively kick people's asses is far down the list of desirable traits for most PO's. Otherwise, departments would prioritize hiring bouncers or other meat heads who first reaction is to hulk smash. The majority of the time, conflict can and is solved without escalating into a use of force situation. Also, police work is already heavy in training, legislative training, emergency vehicle operating training, media training, court procedure training, radar / laser training, specialized unit training, etc. It is difficult to be experts in everything so agencies prioritize.

I do feel agencies could do a better and more thorough job with use of force training. Most of it doesn't work, and instructor rhetoric can give the misinformed false confidence in the tactics supplied.

Didn't read the whole thread but I would suggest the ability to effectively kick people's asses is far down the list of desirable traits for most PO's. Otherwise, departments would prioritize hiring bouncers or other meat heads who first reaction is to hulk smash. The majority of the time, conflict can and is solved without escalating into a use of force situation. Also, police work is already heavy in training, legislative training, emergency vehicle operating training, media training, court procedure training, radar / laser training, specialized unit training, etc. It is difficult to be experts in everything so agencies prioritize.

I do feel agencies could do a better and more thorough job with use of force training. Most of it doesn't work, and instructor rhetoric can give the misinformed false confidence in the tactics supplied.

Not kick people's asses, but be able to restrain them, and neutralize any unarmed attack, and be able to put the cuffs on.

Especially for a Corrections officer. I wonder if there are any corrections officers in here who can chime in. I would imagine a corrections officer has to do more H2H than a regular cop. In prison, the perps dont have guns, but you cant just shoot anyone who gets out of hand either. And since the perps are already in prison, they may as well be uncooperative.

I understand the level of education to be a police officer isn't that impressive compared to other jobs (like middle management, lol), but it certainly doesn't justify all the meat headdery. Shit, my job sucks and I deal with assholes all day, I'm not allowed to yell.
/rant
you don't need a degree to be a ceo...
but the police hire 30 out of like 2000 applicants so more education is always better.

When I got hired, I was 1 of 4 hired out of 2-3,00 people who applied. Everyone hired with me had a minimum BA/BS degree. One guy was a CPT in the Air Force Reserve and a C17 Pilot. I had my degree and was a 2LT in the CA Army National Guard and had a Top Secret Clearance.

Not exactly the normal stereotype of dumbass cops with their GED's that so many people throw around here.

When I got hired, I was 1 of 4 hired out of 2-3,00 people who applied. Everyone hired with me had a minimum BA/BS degree. One guy was a CPT in the Air Force Reserve and a C17 Pilot. I had my degree and was a 2LT in the CA Army National Guard and had a Top Secret Clearance.

Not exactly the normal stereotype of dumbass cops with their GED's that so many people throw around here.

What kind of degrees do most cops that have degrees have?

Back