poker/math nerds unite

Those are slim odds . . .

In the WSOP main event (there's a YouTube clip), Royal Flush beat 4 Aces. I believe the guy from everyone loves Raymond was at the table. Don't know the odds on that one but its pretty slim too.

I read it was something like 2.7 billion to 1.

Stats isn't really math.

Probability theory is math though

Source: studying actuarial science(probability of risk)

Edit: this is covered in the first chapter of most probability theory books. They have lots of gambling questions typically. I don't want to give a wrong answer, so I'll look through one of my old textbooks and get back to you

Last edited:
The first answer is close, but incorrect. That would be the answer if you asked, "what is the probability of pocket aces, pocket kings, and pocket queens being drawn as the first hand in three different games (considering the deck is reshuffled after every game and no cards are discarded before the draw)"

I did a fairly quick solution, and it most likely is not what you are looking for. I don't know the order in which the pocket cards were drawn so my model has the first three hands being pocket cards. I assume no cards are discarded at any point and that the deck is fair(meaning there is no foul play and it is random). This solution would have the lowest probability of happening. If you have the order, I can adjust my solution(assuming I am doing it correct)

I have the problem worked out on my tablet and I can insert a screenshot of the work. It's a fairly simple conditional probability problem.

P(pocket A's, pocket k's, and pocket q's)=3/25448150

Last edited:
I played a hand of poker where the flop was J, J, J

...blew me mind, but probably is nothing to you poker junkies lol

That happened to me this week. I called a raise out of position with K6 and the flop came 666. The guy who raised had JJ and I was able to get all of his money.

I've only seen the flop come all one card a few times, and I've only seen someone hit quads on that board twice.

Back