Poirier will most likely get taken down

I completely disagree that Dustin "has to finish this one quick".

In fact, I think it's the exact opposite. It's Charles who has a history of being a frontrunner, coming out fast and winning fights in the first or second round. After that, he tends to fade considerably. Whereas Dustin has always been a dog with tons of cardio and even more heart. If he can drag Charles into deep waters and get this fight to the Championship rounds, he has a very good chance of getting the win.
I didn't take in consideration a very important variable which is cardio. You're right on that

I completely disagree that Dustin "has to finish this one quick".

In fact, I think it's the exact opposite. It's Charles who has a history of being a frontrunner, coming out fast and winning fights in the first or second round. After that, he tends to fade considerably. Whereas Dustin has always been a dog with tons of cardio and even more heart. If he can drag Charles into deep waters and get this fight to the Championship rounds, he has a very good chance of getting the win.
This. Also, lets not forget that while Khabib did outgrapple Dustin, Charles himself was subbed by Pettis and was GnP by Felder.

Charles last defeat has 4 years ago, bringing past defeats is useless Charles 2021 with more experience is infinitely better than his version of the past.

Conor lose to Duffy in 1 minute ?!!
images

Johnson destroyed Poirier in pass :
TinyAggressiveLeafhopper-size_restricted.gif

what does it matter now?! nothing because fighters evolve, I hate when people bring losses from 4, 5 years ago.

Chucky wins on the ground
Dusty on the feet.

Everytime people are this certain of a possible outcome, weird shit happens.

Wouldn't be surprised if Oliveira has a lot of success standing with his improved striking or if Poirier finally hits one of those yolo guillotines that he loves to sell out for.

A lot of people are completely writing Oliveira off and I have no idea why

Dustin could overwhelm him with pressure/heart/cardio but skill for skill I think Oliveira is better in every area

No, I’m saying Dustin is just that much better and that a lot Sherdoggers are a bunch of edgelords.
It’s debatable who the better striker is between these two. I can see why someone would think Charles is and I may even agree

Oliveira has great submissions but he’s been submitted, controlled, and beaten up on the ground more than once. Not sure why people act as though it’s automatic death sentence if it hits the mat. Weird seeing both sides of the spectrum on him, I think he’s wildly overrated by some but wholly underestimated by others. This fight will tell us a lot, his toughest fight for sure.

He got taken down by strikers in Dan Hooker and Pettis, with Dan scoring 4 takedowns throughout the fight.
Heck even a NCA division I All-American Michael Chandler couldn't stop Oliveira's double.
And if it hits the mat, it very well might be over for him.
He has to finish this one quick to win, imo. And that is hard with Oliveira's craftiness.
I do give him the edge on the feet though. He has a very developed finishing instinct.
Very intriguing matchup.

MessyTestyAcouchi-size_restricted.gif

pettis-choke-oliveira.gif

it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see dustin go for the takedown,

olives standup is slick, but leaves himself exposed for clinch/takedown.

pretty sure dustin respects it, but isn't overly concerned about olives ground game.

i think he is going to wrestle olives to wear him out.

i like both guys, rather see olives win though.

gut says dustin is going wear him out and win a 3-2 decision

It’s almost like TS forgot that Dustin is also a black belt in BJJ and submitted Pettis who has a win over Olives.
I think it's fairly clear Charles has an advantage on the ground and Dustin has the advantage on the feet.

Charles has grown a lot as a striker. They both like to finish fights.

I think it's a pretty even match up and so the x-factor for me is durability. I think that Poirier is the more durable fighter and that's why I'm picking him to win. Actually rooting for Oliveira though.

Charles is the one thats a fast starter, if he does in fact get a TD out the gate or even gain clinch—to-back-control scenario I see that being Dustins most vulnerable spots.

Charles dont mind standing back-takes and will finish there.

Dustin should be fine I would hope. He is at a world-class gym with plenty of strong submission grapplers in the area to “pluck” from and put Dustin in terrible positions inside training. Dustin also fights through adversity very well and will pour his combinations on you the whole fight.

This is gonna be a high-action fight and I cant wait.

it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see dustin go for the takedown,

olives standup is slick, but leaves himself exposed for clinch/takedown.

pretty sure dustin respects it, but isn't overly concerned about olives ground game.

i think he is going to wrestle olives to wear him out.

i like both guys, rather see olives win though.

gut says dustin is going wear him out and win a 3-2 decision
That's how his style works. He doesn't have to worry about being taken down so he can throw with recless abandon on the feet. Just like Werdum. That's a very dangerus fighter to face.

Back