Media Poirier plyometrics, S&C training

The training all looks modern and up to date but I bet if we came back after 20 years and watched we'd shake our heads.

Yep,

just scrolling through the thread it still seems to be the opinion that lifting heavy and doing conventional lifting is the way too go when s & c.
Opposite in baseball. Meanwhile lifting heavy definitely has benefits. My daughter who’s a comp gymnast does no lifting although I wonder about that. Plus she may be at the end of her gymnastics career unless she gets on a college team. And she would be perfect for one of those Ms fitness comps. She was a beast at bjj. And she always wanted to go back to it after gymnastics. She has since been diagnosed with scoliosis so I’m not really keen on it. Especially since she naturally just inverts. She was like a little wizard when she was young and then a gymnastics coach saw her at rec gymnastics and that was the end of that. So she stopped bjj around 11 and focused on gymnastics. She was never taught to invert or coached to invert. It was just natural to her. I miss those times.

The tape is bs..look at some of the claims people say about it and what pro sports athletes use it for. You have people with sprains and tears wearing that bullshit thinking it will slightly aide a tear until surgery is required.

That's complete bullshit. It's not backed by any hard science. You can literally say duct tape has the same effect and get away with it with that logic. That it serves as a reminder.

That's not what the manafacturers say about kinesio tape. They make grander claims.that are unsubstantiated but even if they did make that claim, it's bs.
I think I understand what you mean with the tape being gimmicky for specific strains and muscle pain. Fact of the matter is braces work, tape can be used to brace an ankle, knee, wrist. If an athlete rolls there ankle, you better believe I’m using a tape brace to prevent the roll during practice. To say there’s no sport use for athletic tape is retarded.

Last edited:
Most of it looks solid, i just don't personally see why so many trainers look at landing in a conventional squat stance (shin vertical, heels fully on the ground) and say "good form". I don't see how this is athletic form let alone good form, good for what?
Are you suggesting people land in a fight stance after jumping in the air? That's a great way to fuck up your knees

I think I understand what you mean with the tape being gimmicky for specific strains and muscle pain. Fact of the matter is braces work, tape can be used to brace an ankle, knee, wrist. If an athlete rolls there ankle, you better believe I’m using a tape brace to prevent the roll during practice. To say there’s no sport use for athletic tape is retarded.
Kinesio tape is not brace. Don't do that man. Don't compare the two like that. If you're taping the ankle, it's going to be thick tape. Taping an ankle is like taping the hands to prevent serious injury to your bones

Slapping sticky tape on strain muscle isn't doing shit.

I'd I have a strain labrum, it's not doing shit. If I have a torn bicep, it's not alleviating shit! It's quack sport remedies. Taping ankles or hands with thick tape mind you have been shown to reduce injury

Are you suggesting people land in a fight stance after jumping in the air? That's a great way to fuck up your knees
Of course not, fighting stance would be an awkward landing, especially since most fighters stand in a slightly turn stance, it would create a high potential for injuries. What i'm mainly trying to point out is that people concentrate far too much in having the knee's be vertical to the shin when it comes to athletic endeavours thinking it'll save the knee's when it tends to do the complete opposite. the VMO, hip flexers, tibialis and probably much more tend to be underdeveloped in those individuals and then all of a sudden knee pain/hip pain is a thing

Last edited:
Meanwhile
r9vh_V.gif
That Conor kills any version of sorrier

Of course not, fighting stance would be an awkward landing, especially since most fighters stand in a slightly turn stance, it would create a high potential for injuries. What i'm mainly trying to point out is that people concentrate far too much in having the knee's be vertical to the shin when it comes to athletic endeavours thinking it'll save the knee's when it tends to do the complete opposite. the VMO, hip flexers, tibialis and probably much more tend to be underdeveloped in those individuals and then all of a sudden knee pain/hip pain is a thing

I actually asked Dr Yessis about doing a plyometric that involves landing in a fighting stance. He said it was a viable strategy. Dr Yessis is regarded as a legendary sport scientist and biomechanist who first brought plyometrics to the West from the old soviet union.

You can see it in the interview below;

There is also a youtube channel called "boxing science" where they talk about doing this exercise and they say its a viable strategy.

Yes there is a chance of injury.

However, you can see from the way that the soviet power athletes used to train such that they landed at joint angles similar to a fighting stance here;

This guy breaks it down, the peak force production during plyometrics is way beyond anything you can achieve with slow heavy weight training;

So doing plyometrics are a very effective way of increasing peak force production for kicking and punching even if they come with a risk of knee injury.

Yes there is a chance of injury.

However, you can see from the way that the soviet power athletes used to train such that they landed at joint angles similar to a fighting stance here;

This guy breaks it down, the peak force production during plyometrics is way beyond anything you can achieve with slow heavy weight training;

So doing plyometrics are a very effective way of increasing peak force production for kicking and punching even if they come with a risk of knee injury.

Lifting doesn't completely translate to kicking or punching

Which is the reason why tiger can hit 300 yards, easy
Mark Mcguire had a tough time even on juice
Which is why arm wrestlers can beat thor
Which is why boxers can punch harder than baseball players, but can't throw a heater
Etc

It
Does
Not
Translate

Which, again, is the reason why I think Phil is subpar

Reminded me of

Back