Poirier - current biggest star in the sport?

hell no.

he seems like a bit of a weasel. like it's hard to tell what he really stands for and seems to put on an act according to what he thinks is most popular.

originally he was hostile to conor and got smoked.

but when conor wanted to be friendly, dustin follows and is friendly as well.

then when conor wanted to be nasty again, dustin follows again and turns the nastiness back on.

he's popular for sure and a great fighter, but he has to beat charles and then Islam to be a superstar on talent alone (he's definitely not a superstar on personality)

This might be one of the dumbest things I've read on this forum, lol.

Only names I can think that come close are Israel and Usman, Francis deserves a mention too. But even they don’t shine as bright as Dustin currently. Those wins over Mcgregor took him to another level in the public eye, even though most here knew he was an extremely high level fighter and a solid guy outside the cage too.
<36>

If porier had put on a show during the press conferences the three times he fought Connor he would have fans too and wouldn't have to fight Connor again and again to make money

It's probably Mcgregor and then Nate/Masvidal. Usman, Izzy and and Francis don't have the personality. Izzy tries but I think he made a mistake acknowledging Jake Paul in a positive way. Francis is doing a lot of social media but he is usually playing the big quiet guy.

Last edited:
Damn straight it is! Jeeze.
Poirier's one of the most decent real honest straightforward people on the UFC roster. I mean...it's obvious. smh.

No, you can't be a star when your name is pear tree

Even after beating Conor twice, I don't think anyone knows who he is.

How? explain.
if he truly hated Conor he should've stuck to it.
Or if he was really cool with him then he should've stayed that way as well.

He was back and forth depending on how Conor acted. Makes it difficult to gauge what kind of dude Poirer really is.
Plus he's shown to be a little nasty after fights with the shit talk towards Hooker, Alvarez, Conor.. knocking out training partners etc. But then he tries to portray himself as this charitable guy.

I only said he's personality is too blurred to make him a superstar (TS question).. and to be a superstar on talent alone he will need to prove a bit more imo (at least by beating Charles and then Islam).

He's definitely popular atm, just not a superstar as per TS question.

hell no.

he seems like a bit of a weasel. like it's hard to tell what he really stands for and seems to put on an act according to what he thinks is most popular.

then when conor wanted to be nasty again, dustin follows again and turns the nastiness back on.

he's popular for sure and a great fighter, but he has to beat charles and then Islam to be a superstar on talent alone (he's definitely not a superstar on personality)

… you mean he gets offended when Conor is an irrational little bitch and he has no problems if Conor doesn’t? Yeah.. what a weasel…

… you mean he gets offended when Conor is an irrational little bitch and he has no problems if Conor doesn’t? Yeah.. what a weasel…
he had his arm around conor smiling and posing for pictures while giving him gifts of hot sauce etc.
after being quoted the first fight saying 'i've never disliked/hated someone so much as I do this guy'
just stick to your beliefs dude and stop reacting to whatever conor is doing. dustin is obviously pandering to what he thinks will make him popular with the fans.
can you imagine if 'kind conor' actually beat dustin.. he would have probably have continued the nice guy act right? then imagine if gets a khabib rematch, do you think khabib changes his tune like dustin and gets all buddy buddy with conor?? i highly doubt it because khabib is a man of principle.

i get it that people fucking hate conor but giving dustin a pass on being a fake nice guy just because he beat conor is a little too much.

Nah. Even in retirement Khabib's level of popularity is crazy. Khamzat is up there as well. I don't know how much of a draw Dustin is globally.

hell no.

It’s called being stupid. He’s not the sharpest tool but he’s from the swamp so you can’t hold it against him.

I hate conor. he's an annoying retard. and even though he's won one fight in 5 years, he's still the sports biggest star no question. sucks, but it's true. not even close

Poirier is too chill imo, it's his personality and he doesn't mind it. He can have GSP-like career/popularity if he has more title defenses (which is hard to do (if he wins it obvi))

So far imo, both Conor, Khabib, and Khamzat that really know how to sell

I'd say he is top 10. Francis, Porrier, Conor, Masvidal, Diaz, Usman, Colby, potentially Khamzat, O'Malley, Israel, Jones probably some others I'm missing. None of them outside of Conor could really sell a ppv single handedly though they all need a big dance partner. Who knows what Conors next fight will even be, he's obviously peaked may not even crack a million in a Porrier rematch.

I think I’ll buy his hot sauce tonight. Most likely will sit in the corner of the fridge but Poirier is the man!

As far as the general public is concerned, Conor is the only one they might know.

As far as casuals, again it would be Conor way out front, followed by Jones and Khabib, then a big dropoff to a bunch of guys. Poirier would be in that group.

Among people who follow the sport, Poirier would still be way back of a bunch of guys. I think he'd make top ten, though.

Reactions: JAL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back