Point out my bad habits

It's a common misuse, and you struck me as intelligent. So I didn't dumb down my post any. Flexibility and conditioning do more for us as trainers than anything else. If every kid I got was say, trained even a LITTLE as a gymnast, life would be amazing. Alas, what I mostly get are watered-down pseudo-athletes who learned Sports in a broken educational system.

One thing I will say is that wrestlers tend to have generally very shitty upper-body posture. This is due to a lot of back curling with the head up. This leads to PAIN in boxing, because it begs for whiplash. So correct that. If I may ask, where are you located in the World?
You make some interesting points Lu. Self teaching is clearly not the way to go with soomethinig as complex as boxing. But on the other hand all trainers and systems are not created equal. Most likely if someone goes to a gym, they will not learn a similar system to what you teach. Most trainers will most likely tell their guys to fight out of a centered stance and not a rear leg stance like you preach. Most trainers put a MUCH bigger emphasis on "hands up", blocking, etc. Most trainers wont teach a rear hand like you do. So do you think everyone should listen to their coach even if it goes against what you say? Is it not really possible to learn from a coach, but also incorporate things from your system?

Do you think it would be possible to explain/teach your system, say in an in depth book or video series?

Oh, also, you're going to need to address two things about "perfectionism." One is your definition of it. Technical obsession is not perfectionism in the eyes of most good instructors (or coaches). That type of perfectionism is a weakness, because people like that cannot handle the fact that they are inevitably flawed. It's a logical fallacy that leads to ruin of SOME kind, even if it's AFTER a career is over. I don't know about you but if you want to fight, you don't want to have a shitty life after it's over because you skipped or didn't get this lesson. Anyhow, there's only one viable type of perfectionism, and it's about giving yourself:

Props man!

Excellent post!

I spent years getting pestered by my instructor on the tiniest nuance. In the end I learned great technique but more importantly about being humble and what my ego really is. Life long journey that combat arts become the vehicle to teach you about yourself.

Props for the wisdom man, as I prep to go for surgery and a 6 month recovery focusing in PT on the tiniest nuance to even get back to the place I can train again.

Back