Pocket Carry

JohnPJones

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
so as not to clutter up other threads.

If you’re using an appropriate holster I have no issue with carrying a fire arm in your pocket, but it seems too many people think a jacket or pants pocket is the holster, and that’s where I have an issue(I’m not talking about pants specifically designed with a holster sewn into the pocket.)

I feel the same with purse/bag carry. The entire trigger guard needs to be covered by something that will prevent a negligent discharge as a result of other stuff in the bag/purse.

stupid because any number of circumstances can cause unintentional actuation of the trigger if it’s not properly covered/protected.

When I hear or read ‘pocket carry’ I interpret that as simply sticking a gun in your pocket. Which judging from his post about not even needing to draw and shooting from inside the pocket seems to be what he’s talking about.

There are special clothing items with holsters sewn into the pockets, I have no problems with those, or this little clip type things that secure to a belt loop or waist band and simply get pulled off the weapon once the maximum length of the lanyard has been reached via the draw.

The easy counter to what I’m going to say is ‘just pay attention’ but let’s be real, we all do silly things because sometimes our minds are elsewhere. A ‘silly’ mistake with unprotected trigger can easily go from silly to deadly.

For example I have pockets layers out specifically for certain things.

Spare mag(I do pocket carry my spare) and phone carry permit left pocket along with house keys.

DL, car keys, debit card right pocket.

I do that set up every day, but every once in a while I’ll absent mindedly put my phone or house keys in the wrong pocket.
Now imagine you absent mindedly put house keys in a pocket with a gun. It’s really not that far fetched of a scenario that a key gets into the trigger guard and discharges the weapon while you’re going about your daily life.

You make good points.

Only safe way would be condition 3 and I think that's stupid anyway.

I carry my bersa in my pocket as a back up sometimes. I have a holster for ITP(?) carry though. I would not without one.

As long as it is in a pocket holster no issue. Just loose in a pocket is dumb. Gun gets full of lint and all kinds of shit too.

As long as it is in a pocket holster no issue. Just loose in a pocket is dumb. Gun gets full of lint and all kinds of shit too.

I have no room in my pocket for a weapon, they're full of stacks of $100 bills...like every sherdogger it's my cross to bear.

Full disclosure
not a drug dealer!

oh ya. Those people who think they’ll have time to rack the slide in a deadly force encounter are hilarious. Stupid, but hilarious

Lots of people carry on a empty chamber and plenty of people have had time to rack one in a deadly force encounter.

Lots of people carry on a empty chamber and plenty of people have had time to rack one in a deadly force encounter.
A lot of dead people carries with an empty chamber too. If you aren't comfortable carrying with one in the pipe, I suggest getting comfortable.
But to OP's point, I don't pocket carry but if I did, I'd have a trigger guard at the very least.

A lot of dead people carries with an empty chamber too. If you aren't comfortable carrying with one in the pipe, I suggest getting comfortable.
But to OP's point, I don't pocket carry but if I did, I'd have a trigger guard at the very least.

You can suggest whatever you want but theirs also a lot of people that have been shot by wanna be bad ass operators walking around all puckered with their bad-ass weapon in condition one. Those people concern me more than a actual encounter where I might have to draw a weapon.

Perhaps you should fly over to isrial and show them how it's really done since you probably actually have more bad-ass combat experience than them.

At 1:45 he teaches how they draw and fire.

Factoring in a good pocket holster should go hand in hand with any firearm you are looking to carry in the pocket. As they are usually somewhat cheaper than a subcompact or compact model, why wouldn't you get a good pocket holster so your gun doesn't end up slide down and facing forward when you might actually need it? And no, I'm not talking about a shitty Uncle Mike's that is more than likely to come out with your gun covering everything like a microfiber condom.

You can suggest whatever you want but theirs also a lot of people that have been shot by wanna be bad ass operators walking around all puckered with their bad-ass weapon in condition one. Those people concern me more than a actual encounter where I might have to draw a weapon.

Perhaps you should fly over to isrial and show them how it's really done since you probably actually have more bad-ass combat experience than them.

almost every ND in public that I’ve heard of resulting in injury has been a result of the aforementioned retarded pocket carry, so get those retards to actually take weapon safety seriously and the issue is pretty much solved.

almost every ND in public that I’ve heard of resulting in injury has been a result of the aforementioned retarded pocket carry, so get those retards to actually take weapon safety seriously and the issue is pretty much solved.

Carrying a loose gun anywhere isn't a good idea. Funny thing is never mentioned I don't carry a chamberd round but said plenty don't and some are ex military. Doesn't take much for some people to get their panties in a bunch.

*Isreal

And Israelis have gotten good at carrying condition 3 because their carry laws require it, not because those carrying think it’s a better idea.
IMO, if you’re carrying condition 3, you’ve at least sliced in half the scenarios in which you’re realistically going to be able to defend yourself without getting shot.

I do think there can be a benefit to carrying say a revolver potentially pocket carry, as you could at least potentially fire it from a jacket pocket without ever drawing it.

I wouldn’t carry that way nor am I a revolver fan, but I could imagine there is someone that would find this appropriate and beneficial.

I do think there can be a benefit to carrying say a revolver potentially pocket carry, as you could at least potentially fire it from a jacket pocket without ever drawing it.

I wouldn’t carry that way nor am I a revolver fan, but I could imagine there is someone that would find this appropriate and beneficial.
sw442+010.JPG

Carrying a loose gun anywhere isn't a good idea. Funny thing is never mentioned I don't carry a chamberd round but said plenty don't and some are ex military. Doesn't take much for some people to get their panties in a bunch.
Who has their panties in a bunch?

Ex-military doesn’t mean much, the vast majority of the military will only shoot once a year on a static square range, and will only shoot 50-100 rounds in that single session.

Back