1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Po' college kid diet

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by ohyeah290, Sep 5, 2010.

1. ohyeah290

ohyeah290 Blue Belt

So my question is this, how am I supposed to eat right on a college campus? I'm looking to lose weight and the limited food options here make it hard to do that. I have to option between Pizza Hut, cheese burgers, stuff like that. The bottom floor of my dorm has an all you can eat buffet if that says anything. There's a salad bar there and to drop the weight and actually eat decently I've been considering a vegetarian diet to at least avoid the fried foods and the majority of nasty things.

Would this be a good way to go about it? Any other college diet tips?

-As with every other college kid I'm broke so it's not like I can go out and buy all these lean foods. I have to eat off my meal plan.

2. RedAger

RedAger Amateur Fighter

Following the spaceship of Bethlehelm with Giorgio
    PB&J. Get the low sugar jelly/jam. Use whole wheat bread. Obviously not the healthiest thing in the world but you wanted cheap

3. Chas3

Chas3 White Belt

Brown rice
    and
    cheap ass...
    chicken :D,
    or any kind of meat really,

4. Tropics1020

Tropics1020 Brown Belt

grilled chicken , white rice and teriyaki sauce . That's a cheap low fat meal and it tastes pretty good as well.

chicken parmesiana with pasta is a good option too

5. Steakeater**

Steakeater** Banned Banned

Just use the meal plan and spend time on the salad bar

6. Tycho Brah

Tycho Brah Zero Shift Belt Platinum Member

Eat less and exercise more. Even if you're eating high-calorie foods, as long as you're expending more calories than you're taking in, you will lose weight.

I'm a big fan of the Pita places that are usually around college campuses, just be careful what you fill them with.

7. GJJNY

GJJNY Purple Belt

I've often wondered if colleges have collectively dropped entrance requirements since so many college kids lack common sense as evidenced by these 'I'm in college, what do I eat!?' threads. Especially since most of these kids grew up not knowing life before the internet.

Have you not been paying attention for the first 18+ years of your life, or do you just like being coddled?

8. ohyeah290

ohyeah290 Blue Belt

That was my idea. As I said a temporary vegetarian thing.
    Why the hostility? I have common sense. I was simply looking for other options. Half the stuff they have here can't possibly be good for people.

9. GJJNY

GJJNY Purple Belt

If you had common sense and the ability to see your options and make a smart choice you wouldn't have started this thread.

Without even seeing the options, I'd imagine salad, burgers without the bun, fruits, veggies, eggs, nuts/seeds, etc.

Is it really that hard?

10. IDRISCKY

IDRISCKY Purple Belt

Yeah. I don't see how much help any of us are actually going to be when we don't know your actual options. You haven't given any detail at all, just vague descriptions. You're poor, we get that. How much money do you actually have to spend on outside food? There is a salad bar, cool, we get that too. What exactly is the salad bar made of? What are your options? Yogurt, eggs, meat, deli meats, nuts/seeds, vegetables, fruit, cheese, etc?

You're not exactly in the best situation to be anal and OCD about your diet. And I can tell for a fact by what I've read from you in this thread you shouldn't attempt a vegetarian diet. Most true vegans/vegetarians, at least the ones that post here frequently, that are health oriented will tell you bad things happen when people just dive right in without doing their research. It's not as simple as eat plants, not animals.

Advice also depends on other factors. What type of, if any, training are you doing? What "nasty" thins are you trying to avoid? I'm assuming you're scared of fat/cholesterol since you lumped cheese burgers in the crappy options and by your comments about lean and fried foods.

Personally I'd load up on cheese burgers minus the buns, eggs, nuts, deli meats, vegetables etc. and go full ketogenic since the quality of carb available doesn't sound too appealing to me. But that's personal preference since I prefer low-carb to begin with and truly like being in ketosis. Search for the thread X's made a few years ago when he got to college. He's got a pretty awesome diet for a college kid in my opinion. He buys nonperishable food stuffs in bulk like peanut butter, oats, protein powder, etc. and picks the better options from his meal plan like eggs and yogurt. Answer some of the questions and I'm sure he'd be more than willing and able to give better advice.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  11. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

This isn't really true. You could lose weight on a 100% bacon fat diet, as long as you burn more calories than you consume. If you want to lose weight, eat less and move more.

If your real concern is "This college food seems really unhealthy", then you've got a number of options:

1. Just eat it. You're in college. It's unlikely that anything you eat now is going to cause colon cancer or heart disease. When you are no longer living in a dorm, start eating better.
    2. Make better choices from what you have available in your dorm. It's likely that there are a number of healthy (but not necessarily good tasting) options that you could explore. Salad bar should get you plenty of veggies, so you really just need a meat to go with it.
    3. Back in the glorious 80's, when Reagan was staring down the Soviets and Michael Jackson wasn't fucking children, we had this concept that if you had no money, you went and got a job. Clever college students would get jobs at restaurants that had food that they liked to eat, and could not only make money, but also get fed by their job.

12. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

First off, there is a whole lot of truth in all of these posts.

Second, there are a million threads about eating healthy but cheap, and eating healthy in college, so search those up.

IDRISCKY is right, for the first two years of college I lived in the dorms and was required to have a university meal plan. It wasn't perfect, and the meal plan here is definitely overpriced unless you love junk food and eat like 10x a day, but you can do alright.

They always had eggs (including omelets), some kind of meat, and fruit available for breakfast. Can't get much better than that.

For lunch and dinner, I'd always start with the salad bar. To its credit, my caf had a a decent salad bar with fresh spinach, veggies, cheeses, etc. So I'd make a big salad. For awhile, I avoided the caf meat, because it seemed to be of such poor quality. I gave up on that after awhile, and would usually get whatever kind of meat they had to eat with my salad. If it was burger day, I'd often just ask for a burger/chicken sandwich without a bun (if they give you a funny look or act confused, just tell them you're allergic to wheat to get them to move along). Often there would be chicken breasts or fish or something. So, my lunches and dinners basically ended up being meat+veggie meals...not bad at all. It wasn't the most exciting diet and there was a lot of repetition, but I did alright.

For snacks and PWO nutrition, I kept my dorm well-stocked with natural PB, yogurt, nuts, protein powder, oats, and other convenient stuff. No, it's not fun to spend money on top of paying for a ridiculous meal plan, but having these items around was really helpful and allowed me a lot more flexibility than having to go by the meal plan all the time.

In summary, you pretty closely follow all the sort of dietary advice you find in FAQs here if you're just willing to put some thought into it.

Here's the main thing most people don't seem to grasp: If there's one healthy option in the caf, there's a healthy option in the caf. Just because the overwhelming majority of it is junk doesn't mean you should throw your hands up and give up.

13. IDRISCKY

IDRISCKY Purple Belt

Lies.

14. Dogstarman

Dogstarman Old man jiu jitsu

So your college doesn't have eggs and bacon for breakfast? You can't get whole milk at all in your buffet? There is no cheese or meat options to put on your salad, no cottage cheese, or yogurt? They don't ever make chicken, lamb, or beef? Also what's wrong with cheese burgers? If you cut the fries cheese burgers are good, I know, I know the bun. Get 2 burgers take off the bun and eat veggies, fruit and the patty with melted cheese on it. Use your god dammed brain, your in college, that's what your there for to learn to think for yourself.

15. StM682

StM682 Blue Belt

...PB&J can be one of the healthiest meals in the world that you can eat depending upon which brand of peanut butter you use, jelly, and bread. Sure white bread, Jif peanut butter with hydrogenated oil, and jelly with HFCS can be a horrible meal. But if you use whole Almond Butter, real jelly with just mashed fruit (which you can find in store your local store im sure) and whole wheat bread, that is an EXTREMELY healthy meal.

Also TS, the easiest thing you can do (if you are not already doing it) is drink WATER only. Make sure you are drinking .5 times your body weight in fluid ozs. Drinking more water will keep you fuller longer and also has 0 calories (obviously)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  16. turbozed

turbozed Red Belt

I say fuck the dieting for a good year or so. Hit the school gym and take advantage of the all you can eat cafeteria food. Gain a bunch of muscle and get stronger.

Be a dick and take only the nutritious food (meat, veggies, milk, eggs, look up "20 foods to eat" thread here) while leaving behind the shitty empty calorie foods (unless you plan on bulking, in which case the empty calories will help).

Spend some hours reading through the stickys here to get an idea of the basics of nutrition. Above all, enjoy college. It's the best thing ever.

17. Dogstarman

Dogstarman Old man jiu jitsu

This is a wise post, follow it and you can't go wrong.

18. pjmeunyc12

pjmeunyc12 Purple Belt

I didnt have a meal plan through college, I would just sneak into the dining halls. Stick to the salad bars, turkey sandwiches, and egg omeletes.