PNF Stretching Routine

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by TonyRo, Jun 4, 2014.

1. TonyRo

TonyRo White Belt

Does anyone around these parts regularly PNF stretch and have a good routine to share or a resource to check out? Looking to work on my flexibility and most of my research has turned up that this is one of the best ways to go.

Most of what I've seen has sparse coverage of actual examples, and I haven't been able to find an actual routine that covers the entire body. Something tuned for BJJ would be even better. Thanks! :icon_chee

2. nodferatu

nodferatu Drilling in the south

3. Was Exiled

Was Exiled Brown Belt

4. nodferatu

I use Ryan Halls Grappling Flexibility DVD though. You could even use his Pilates for grapplers, only bad thing is it's when he was with Lloyd Irvin and you would be supporting LI if you can even buy it anymore.

5. nodferatu

6. TonyRo

TonyRo White Belt

@Nodferatu Correct me if I'm wrong, but none of those pictures or the Hall DVD are PNF stretches - they're all normal passive stretches.

7. snakeybizz

snakeybizz Purple Belt

I wouldn't be too concerned wheter your doing PNF or anything else...PNF is scientifically proven to be the fastest way to improve flexibility but doesn't offer any increased benefit to static and dynamic flexibility...it just gets you there quicker for a total body flexibility routine follow this:

http://www.trickstutorials.com/index.php?page=content/flx3

this combined with full range of motion weightlifting and no gi jiu jitsu has made me quite flexible.

If your heart is set on PNF then I would look to get a partner to help you with the stretches. Its popular with athletes because they have a coach or team mate to help them with the stretches

8. nodferatu

IDK, I just google image searched PNF Stretches lol. You said "something tuned for BJJ", thus why I gave you the Ryan Hall example.

I've had great results with the Ryan Hall video.

9. Mike Piekarski

Mike Piekarski Blue Belt Professional Fighter

PNF stretching is just a method of stretching, one simple version is 'contract relax'. So you do an isometric contraction of the muscle that you want to stretch hold it for 6 seconds. Afterwards you fully relax then push into a new range. So take any static stretch and do this 2-4 times before you can't get any further then hold the static stretch for 30 seconds.

10. Vitamin C

Vitamin C Black Belt

This link that snakeybizz provided has a great section on learning how to PNF stretch on your own. Its the section labeled "Isometric Stretching." It's essentially the same concept as PNF. Like Mike Piekarski points out, it's a method of contracting a muscle for a short duration, followed by relaxing into a deeper stretch.

Give that article a good read.

11. TonyRo

TonyRo White Belt

Yeah I spent the time to read most of it already - a lot of great content - will definitely try it out for a few weeks and see how it goes.