Plyometrics

Sigur Ros

White Belt
Reaction score
What are the benifits of plyometrics? Does it build explosivness?

Any advice would be greatly apreciated

P.S This is for jiu jitsu/wrestling

well heeeeell yea man. do a youtube search. if you're doing excercises built around helping with explosiveness, that's what they'll do. just gotat make sure the particular excercises you're chosing to do will be practical for bjj/wrestling.

Yes, they train your body to be more explosive and to become more efficient at creating power.

It's all about adapting your central nervous system to producing large, quick bursts of force. Strength Training, Conditioning, and Plyometrics should all be given an equal amount of time. They're all absolutely important and can not be ignored.

Edit: That's not an argument saying that anything is more important than anything else, it's just illustrated the importance of plyometrics and power exercises.

It's all about adapting your central nervous system to producing large, quick bursts of force. Strength Training, Conditioning, and Plyometrics should all be given an equal amount of time. They're all absolutely important and can not be ignored.

Edit: That's not an argument saying that anything is more important than anything else, it's just illustrated the importance of plyometrics and power exercises.

Isn't it sad that you have to add disclaimers so you don't end up in an arguement.

plyometric workouts are some of the hardest workouts ive done in my life.

Its basically jump training.

It can be used to build explosiveness. depends on what exactly you do though.

Plyos are cool! I've never centered a whole workout around them, for I am naturally a VERY explosive person! I'd say just stick with the clap pushups and squat jumps! I like to throw them into my conditioning work, or throw them in after some heavy squats etc... For the wrestling though, sprinting will prove priceless if you ask me!

for wrestling I'd practice your shooting say 20 or 30 per side and do the same for sprawls. I'd just make sure you do them on a wrestling mat or I sometimes do them in the back yard where the grass is nice and thick.

Another good set of plyo drills is to get a rope ladder and do foot speed drills. I made my own rope ladder since every place I checked wanted $40.00 and I made my own for less than $5.

Do some research on plyometrics to make sure you do them properly and get the most out of them.

^ thanks

Can anyone give me some plyometric excersises that are specific to wrestling/jiu jitsu

Do a google search there is a website with sport specific plyometrics. Do wrestling drills like shoots and sprawls. If done at speed with explosiveness they will qualify as a plyometric exercise.

For BJJ practice shrimping and reverse. There is a good thing on youtube where a guy does explosive transitional moves on a swiss ball. I've done some of that and it will help a lot if you are new to BJJ and never done it before. Someone started a tread about it in the grappling forum.

Back