Plyometrics for grappling: Anyone have a good plan?

Plyo workouts seem to help out a lot and I try incorporating them whenever I can. I do more than just jump exercises. I wish I could afford gym membership to get some strengh traini g in but that's another storyy. Right now I'm trying to do plyo with a kettlebell and add in resistance band training. Any tips? I'm hoping to to build endurance and mainly slim down as I want to compete in lighter divisons

Check out this link. MMA Workout MMA ADDICTION
These we do regularly.

1. Resisted and/or Vested Bear Crawls
2. Resisted and/or Vested Stand-up
3. Resisted and/or Vested Take-Downs Carries
4. Resisted and/or Vested Take-Downs
5. Vested up and sprawls
6. Resisted and/or Vested Jumps

Also, All with or without Vest

7. Burpees
8. Squat Jumps
9. Lunge or Split jumps
10. Shuttle Runs

All these will help with Cardio and explosiveness.

Check out this link. MMA Workout MMA ADDICTION
These we do regularly.

1. Resisted and/or Vested Bear Crawls
2. Resisted and/or Vested Stand-up
3. Resisted and/or Vested Take-Downs Carries
4. Resisted and/or Vested Take-Downs
5. Vested up and sprawls
6. Resisted and/or Vested Jumps

Also, All with or without Vest

7. Burpees
8. Squat Jumps
9. Lunge or Split jumps
10. Shuttle Runs

All these will help with Cardio and explosiveness.

Thanks man. What about band training any thing with those? Ill have to check the link later

All of the above are great recommendations.

Some of the benefits to plyometrics is that they can be done anywhere with no equipment needed.

I agree strength training is very beneficial, but in a sport with weight classes/weight cutting, careful attention should be made so that you don't get strong/big beyond what is reasonable. What I mean is, depending on how you lift, you could be not only gaining strenght, but muscle mass - That muscle mass is harder to cut come tourney time.

For those that have never exercised, or developed a program, I would suggest starting with plyo to get your body into "lifting shape", then adding more complex strenght routines down the road.

Also, before you start ANY program set some goals for what you want to get out of it. It will help guide your decisions.

First off, I own insanity. It's a decent program. Ts was talking about explosive power right? And pylometrics is jump training, am I right? When in grappling are you going to be exerting an upward force in the same manner? Of course how much you can bench and squat is more important than how you can jump in this sport. Grappling isn't like other sports, you're exerting a lot of force slowly, in contrast towards say boxing where you are exerting little force quickly. Maximum strength=explosiveness in this sport. Another thing, insanity isn't the workout to end all others, and you aren't a badass because you do it. In my opinion, lots of roadwork with large compound lifts(even higher rep stuff like barbell complexes) would be much more beneficial.

Plyos are more than just jumping (though that is a big part). Any movement can be done explosively, thus plyometrically. Do clap pushups, medicine ball tosses, clap pullups if you're that beastly (I can't do it), pop-up dips, clean and jerks, etc.

For those that have never exercised, or developed a program, I would suggest starting with plyo to get your body into "lifting shape", then adding more complex strenght routines down the road.

Also, before you start ANY program set some goals for what you want to get out of it. It will help guide your decisions.

Chu(1998) Jumping into Plyometrics book contrasts this-

■Individuals should be able to perform 5 squats at 60% of their bodyweight.
■Individuals should be able to perform 1 squat of 1.5 to 2 times their bodyweight for lower body plyometrics, and a bench press of 1 to 1.5 times their bodyweight for upper body plyometrics.

The russians had similar protocol and were the first to develop and put so much reasearch, money and metrics to follow.

The above focuses on strength minimums which can be a product of muscular strength, but I question the effects of the relationship to tendon strength and those new to jumping and explosive work.

Tendons take a lot longer to strengthen than muscles and this should be taken into account.

Plyometrics has minimal carry over to BJJ. In part due to the gi, rules and style of most players.

Plyometrics and wrestling and no-gi has a greater carry over due to the pace of play and rules.

Imo plyomterics are near the apex of ones training pyramid, they should be used at or near the peak and for short periods of time. The base should ascend and be comprised of skill, conditioning, then strength, then power and lastly plyometrics. Your time may likely be better spent doing other types of work than plyomterics unless you're near the good to elite level in all other facets of your training.

Chu(1998) Jumping into Plyometrics book contrasts this-

■Individuals should be able to perform 5 squats at 60% of their bodyweight.
■Individuals should be able to perform 1 squat of 1.5 to 2 times their bodyweight for lower body plyometrics, and a bench press of 1 to 1.5 times their bodyweight for upper body plyometrics.

The russians had similar protocol and were the first to develop and put so much reasearch, money and metrics to follow.

The above focuses on strength minimums which can be a product of muscular strength, but I question the effects of the relationship to tendon strength and those new to jumping and explosive work.

Tendons take a lot longer to strengthen than muscles and this should be taken into account.

Plyometrics has minimal carry over to BJJ. In part due to the gi, rules and style of most players.

Plyometrics and wrestling and no-gi has a greater carry over due to the pace of play and rules.

Imo plyomterics are near the apex of ones training pyramid, they should be used at or near the peak and for short periods of time. The base should ascend and be comprised of skill, conditioning, then strength, then power and lastly plyometrics. Your time may likely be better spent doing other types of work than plyomterics unless you're near the good to elite level in all other facets of your training.

Excellent post. I think that, when it comes to conditioning for BJJ, too often we're "running before we learn to walk." We want to do plyos with an insufficient strength base, or we want to do tabatas before we've put in the time and effort to having a strong cardio base.

Thanks for the input, Peregrine - I'll concede to that.

Back