Plyometrics for grappling: Anyone have a good plan?

mrpopenfresh

Red Belt
Reaction score
Alright, so I'm figuring some plyo wouldn't be a bad thing to work on the das I don't go to the gym. Does anyone have any exercices to recommend to work on explosiveness? I'd like to keep it so that it can be executed in my living room. Thanks in advance!

Youre time is better spent lifting big, squats/deadlifts/press's. Grappling is more about maximum strength being exerted. Plyometrics is more about helping you with youre vertical leap, ie. great for basketball players.

Plyo is great for more than that kiddo.

Look into the insanity program. 60 days of ass kicking workouts.

Plyo is great for more than that kiddo.

Look into the insanity program. 60 days of ass kicking workouts.

This is true, but also is true that begginers (in the strength department) benefit more from classic strength training.

I lifted up until starting Bjj. I wish the last 12 months of putting 50 lbs on bench had been doing cardio and plyo instead with some yoga. Seriously how much you bench or squat does not help you as much as being in the shape insanity will put you in if you commit to it.

Any one here tried out a Starting Strength program? Would you recommend it for grappling, and could you gain strength on it without gaining much weight? I want to get stronger but I don't want to move up a weight class. It kind of would defeat the purpose.

I lifted up until starting Bjj. I wish the last 12 months of putting 50 lbs on bench had been doing cardio and plyo instead with some yoga. Seriously how much you bench or squat does not help you as much as being in the shape insanity will put you in if you commit to it.

First off, I own insanity. It's a decent program. Ts was talking about explosive power right? And pylometrics is jump training, am I right? When in grappling are you going to be exerting an upward force in the same manner? Of course how much you can bench and squat is more important than how you can jump in this sport. Grappling isn't like other sports, you're exerting a lot of force slowly, in contrast towards say boxing where you are exerting little force quickly. Maximum strength=explosiveness in this sport. Another thing, insanity isn't the workout to end all others, and you aren't a badass because you do it. In my opinion, lots of roadwork with large compound lifts(even higher rep stuff like barbell complexes) would be much more beneficial.

Any one here tried out a Starting Strength program? Would you recommend it for grappling, and could you gain strength on it without gaining much weight? I want to get stronger but I don't want to move up a weight class. It kind of would defeat the purpose.

It worked great for me, if you don't want to go up in weight check your diet, if you don't eat is hard to gain, say, 10 pounds out of nowhere.

Just make sure to do the excercises with form as perfect as possible and to check the strength and power forums (and FAQ) for questions.

Plyometrics is more than jumping, or else they would just call it jumping. Hell, a clapping push up is plyo.

get a rubber medicine ball with no freaking handles, build a few boxes for jumps and buy a simple book.

i love doing plyo and i think it is great for grappling. my books has specific workouts for certain sports. i just follow the wrestling one.

I'd suggest looking into Nick Tumminello's work or Martin Rooney's work. Both of them have pretty sweet ideas that can be applied to grapplers or that are for grapplers.

Find a Medicine Ball, slam it or throw it as far as you can. Become beast.

Insanity is good stuff, so is Plyo X from the P90X program. Both of which can be done in your home.

Plyo is great, but compound lifts are more essential for grapplers. Whoever says squats don't help your grappling is simply justifying the fact that they are weak as shit. Lift on your off days and make your training your cardio. You can thank me in 3 months.

Check out this link. MMA Workout MMA ADDICTION
These we do regularly.

1. Resisted and/or Vested Bear Crawls
2. Resisted and/or Vested Stand-up
3. Resisted and/or Vested Take-Downs Carries
4. Resisted and/or Vested Take-Downs
5. Vested up and sprawls
6. Resisted and/or Vested Jumps

Also, All with or without Vest

7. Burpees
8. Squat Jumps
9. Lunge or Split jumps
10. Shuttle Runs

All these will help with Cardio and explosiveness.

I just got Andre Galvao's book in the mail today....you could probably just find enough exercises in there to do at the intensity and duration of your choosing.

Plyo workouts seem to help out a lot and I try incorporating them whenever I can. I do more than just jump exercises. I wish I could afford gym membership to get some strengh traini g in but that's another storyy. Right now I'm trying to do plyo with a kettlebell and add in resistance band training. Any tips? I'm hoping to to build endurance and mainly slim down as I want to compete in lighter divisons

Back