Is this plan ok ?

Mo&Wedn&Fri :

-Squats (8reps 3Sets)
-Calf press (8reps 3Sets)

-Wide Chin-Ups (8reps 3Sets)
- Leverage Iso Row (8reps 3Sets)

-Butterfly (8reps 3Sets)
-Dips (8reps 3Sets)

-Triceps Dumbbell Kickback (8reps 3Sets)

-Abs Crunch Machine (12reps 3Sets)

Tue&Thu:

Cardio (30m – 1h)

Sat&Sun:

Rest

Last edited:
Well my plan and progression really is to be fitter and too look better (muscle gain and leanness).
Nothing more too it.

Please show me the answers if its in the faq

First I saw this:

Is this plan ok ?

Mo&Wedn&Fri :
-Squats

Then I saw this:
Is this plan ok ?

Mo&Wedn&Fri :

-Squats (8reps 3Sets)

-Butterfly (8reps 3Sets)
-Dips (8reps 3Sets)

Tue&Thu:

Cardio (30m

Is this plan ok ?

Mo&Wedn&Fri :

-Leg press (8reps 3Sets)

-Butterfly (8reps 3Sets)
-Dips (8reps 3Sets)

Tue&Thu:

Cardio (30m – 1h)

Sat&Sun:

Rest

FAQ issues aside, this program has a lot of holes. For 1, doing the same lifts 3x a week with no progression is a recipe for disaster. 2, what type of cardio are you doing? Jogging? Sprints? Those all have an effect. 3, your program is based around a lot of isolation exercises, or exercises that aren't the most efficient. Where is your vertical pressing work? Why triceps kickbacks, basically the most inefficient triceps exercise? Where is your hamstring/hip dominant work? And the ab crunch machine is one of the worst ways to train your core. And why specifically is everything, from leg press to triceps kickback all in the same rep range?

Unless you have issues preventing these exercises, you should be squatting, deadlifting, benching, overhead pressing, rowing, and doing pull ups AT LEAST once a week. These exercises give you the most bang for your buck, and help you gain more muscle. The more muscle you have, the higher your resting metabolic rate, and thus the leaner you can get.

Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 is a great place to start. It gives you a great progression plan, attacks the big lifts, and gives you plenty of options for accessory work. If you're a beginner, use his Triumvirate accessory work. Basically, you'd lift 4 days a week, doing three exercises a day. A solid routine could be

Monday- Squat, Romanian Deadlift, Abs,
Tuesday- OH Press, Dumbbell Row, BB curl
Thursday- Deadlift, Front Squat, Abs
Friday- Bench Press, Chin Ups, Dips

or something similar. Madcow's 5x5, West Side for Skinny Bastards, or Starting Strength are also great places to start getting stronger and gain muscle.

Doing a couple sets of sprints after your workouts, with a long run on the weekends, would greatly help with your conditioning.

Does that help?

Obroin u are a saint.
I only added the tricep kickback to train my tricep more. Basically I wanted to train five days a week with the weekend as rest days.3 times a week strength and in between that cardio (eg. Jogging, swimming, rowing).

But I must add, that my training regime can't be completely useless?

Last edited:
If you are a beginner, you will have weaknesses everywhere and you don't need to specifically address them at this stage, unless you have preexisting injuries which require rehabbing.

I use to train 5+ days per week. Lifting thrice and conditioning twice, there just anything wrong with having a broad approach to...fitness, for lack of a better term.

Seriously though, read the FAQ and the links therein. It is quite an undertaking, but the regulars here have read and or contributed to them and they are invaluable.

Obroin u are a saint.
I only added the tricep kickback to train my tricep more. Basically I wanted to train five days a week with the weekend as rest days.3 times a week strength and in between that cardio (eg. Jogging, swimming, rowing).

But I must add, that my training regime can't be completely useless?

Not useless in the fact that almost anything is better than nothing. It's far from a great program though. Albeit, it's a lot better than most beginners who think BENCH AND BI'S ALL DAY BROOOO so there's that.

Here's what I see with your program.

1. Not nearly enough lower body work. The leg press is great for bodybuilders who already have a lot of muscle because it allows them to fine tune each muscle in their legs, and for those with bad hips/knees. If you were only going to do one lower body exercise, it should be squats. The range of motion is greater, and the instability of supporting a large weight on your back leads to much greater gains. That being said, you're really only doing 1 leg exercise out of 8. Calfs are too small, and its not the same as doing deadlifts or other lower body work. Realistically, your lower body accounts for more muscle than your upper body, so you need more real lower body work then you currently have.

2. For what you're doing, your back work isn't bad. You hit it vertically and horizontally, and with quality compound exercises. I prefer barbell rows, but you might get more out of iso rows. Easily the best part of the program, and if you allowed for weighted variations, you would see the most improvement here.

3. By butterflys, I assume you mean chest flys. Again, these are an isolation exercise that really doesn't hit your chest like its meant to be used. Benching, in almost all of its variations, is a far greater chest workout. Dips are really solid, good addition there. But you don't have any overhead work, and your shoulders are neglected.

4. We already talked about abs and triceps. If you really wanna hit triceps more, do close grip bench pressing or triceps pressdowns with a rope. Far greater triceps involvement.

5. The way your program is structured, you're asking for overtraining. Hitting the same exercises every day, without changing the reps/allowing for a deload, is going to burn you out. It's better to hit it hard, and then rest before you hit it again, and allow for a little variation. I don't mean you need a thousand different exercises, but look at how in the sample programs, you do things different every day. There's a reason for it.

6. If that's the type of cardio you prefer doing, go for it. I love swimming, and I feel it is the best cross training out there due to its low impact and full body nature. Rowing is pretty solid as well. Maybe do cardio Tues/Saturday, and take Thursday off, to give yourself more rest in the middle of it all.

But for real, you should definitely read the FAQ's. People far more knowledgeable than me have put some great work in there, and the more you educate yourself now, the better you'll be in the long run.

Obrio ur reply sounds well solid to me.
I will also add squats in addition. I would do bench press but I dont have a partner to help , since I dont feel comfortable doing bench presses by myself and cant be asked always asking for help .I will add one excercise that works out shoulsers and triceps at the same time and getbrid of the triceps kickback. I will take everything u wrote into consideration. Only one way to find out if over training ^^

Thank u very much been a big help.

OT: once I have more time I will also add boxing or kickboxing or mma but this is irrelevant for now

Why don't you just follow a program for your level of training? 90% of the time a tried and tested program would be better than doing your own programming, especially if you are a beginner or even intermediate. I'd recommend Starting Strength or Strong Lifts.

Back