Please tell me your opinion regarding this math problem

That's pretty much how I add numbers in my head. I'd imagine most people would do it this way eventually but I have no way of knowing that.

It probably doesn't hurt to drill this shit.

Complete BS question. I would home school my kids before I let the state turn them retarded.

Logic is so over the top important and is such a lacking skill with most everyone. Logic trumps out of the box thinking.

Without logic, you complete nothing, no matter how out of the box you think your thinking is.

All these monsters have to do is say, use 8 and 5 in an equation to get 10. Then, the kid doesn't grow up thinking he/she can bend the laws of physics, rules don't apply to him/them, etc...

All they're doing is creating meth heads with this shit. Shoplifting, HIV infected, scab picking meth heads.

I had the problem figured out in my head in about .5 seconds because I was taught fucking multiplication tables as a kid. 10400rounds.

Pretty sure none of your multiplication tables went up to 52 or to 100. Your answer was not based on memorization of values within a table, but on processes that you learned.

Pretty sure none of your multiplication tables went up to 52 or to 100. Your answer was not based on memorization of values within a table, but on processes that you learned.

Pretty sure you're wrong. We learned to multiple by 2 all the way to 100 in our heads. I don't need an abacus. I don't need a calculator. I don't need a piece of cardboard to write on. And the processes that I learned were largely based on rote memorization of basic math. That shit that isn't being taught anymore. Thus leading to the story I posted on the last page.

Basic math. So hard we had to make it harder. So hard that kids can't do it anymore.

Pretty sure you're wrong. We learned to multiple by 2 all the way to 100 in our heads. I don't need an abacus. I don't need a calculator. I don't need a piece of cardboard to write on. And the processes that I learned were largely based on rote memorization of basic math. That shit that isn't being taught anymore. Thus leading to the story I posted on the last page.

Basic math. So hard we had to make it harder. So hard that kids can't do it anymore.

The fact he couldn't do 52x100x2 in his head is pretty unbelievable.

First response in this thread pretty much hit the nail on the head. The photo was taken out of context because no explanation was given.

Don't know if you'll notice this post as yours is about 2 months old.

I can't of any utility Cursive has in everyday life.

I grew up writing Cursive and gave it up in my late teens because there was absolutely no use for it. A computer is used for writing papers. If I need write down something I Block Print , aka Print writing. The only time I ever utilize cursive is when signing my name.

What advantage does Cursive have over Print writing?
The later is vastly more legible. I rather all doctors/medical pros use Print writing than cursive , because sometimes it is difficult to make out what the heck they wrote.

your signature

You'd think watching sports alone would drill some basic math into a dude's head. But maybe I paid more attention to things like down & distance and statistics than most.

First response in this thread pretty much hit the nail on the head. The photo was taken out of context because no explanation was given.

I see now. So this was basically just an exercise, and who ever posted the photo left out the instructions for the exercise?

Well then that's just misleading and wrong. If they are doing this to teach kids simple ways to add, then it's great.

I guess I was trolled.

We need to have a class that teaches people not to present things out of context just because their kid doesn't pay attention in class, or fails to read instructions.

BTW The first post int his thread does a horrible job at explaining the situation. I guess this is an exercise in simplifying addition with a Make Ten strategy. That is all that needed to be said, really.

I see now. So this was basically just an exercise, and who ever posted the photo left out the instructions for the exercise?

Well then that's just misleading and wrong. If they are doing this to teach kids simple ways to add, then it's great.

I guess I was trolled.

We need to have a class that teaches people not to present things out of context just because their kid doesn't pay attention in class, or fails to read instructions.

BTW The first post int his thread does a horrible job at explaining the situation. I guess this is an exercise in simplifying addition with a Make Ten strategy. That is all that needed to be said, really.

I don't know if we were trolled or not, but showing the photo to otherwise ignorant people (who don't have prior knowledge of the photo reflecting a strategy worked on in class) is likely to arouse discontent over recent educational reforms. I'm just saying it is disingenuous to post it without the clarifications. Can see a lot of things like that on Facebook, for instance.

I don't know if we were trolled or not, but showing the photo to otherwise ignorant people (who don't have prior knowledge of the photo reflecting a strategy worked on in class) is likely to arouse discontent over recent educational reforms. I'm just saying it is disingenuous to post it without the clarifications. Can see a lot of things like that on Facebook, for instance.

Oh yes, that is trolling for sure. That is the very definition of trolling. Posting disingenuous information for the sole purpose of inciting reactions.

I have seen these segments on the news, where they take a single problem from a test, and ask people on the streets to try and solve, to show the absurdity of CC.

Now I am thinking that they were likely doing the same thing, and I am shocked, SHOCKED that an American news station would post something like that out of context in order to fool the American people.

So, we are not supposed to trust the news anymore? WTF is this world coming to?

It works. You can't get over rote memorization but with a few tricks you can reduce how much you need to memorize substantially. It is terrible how few people can do simple math in their head, even just enough to get a close answer.

The best I have seen but it won't get taught in the states is the invisible abacus method. With enough practice, kids are able to visualize an abacus in their head and use it just like an abacus. It sounds retarded but if you can visualize the beads, you just have to use the abacus in your head to arrive at the answer. Down side I suppose is not seeing the relations as well between numbers. This will never catch on in the states just because parents are you butthurt over any form of memorization.

Ok so what were the instruction for this garbage of a question?

Basic math is simple, memorization works great for that. On other hand I do agree that it would be amazing if we could teach math beyond that.

For example, how many kids can prove Pythagorean theorem. Ok you can memorize a proof easily, but you could have questions where you can utilize principles from different proofs you learned

I studied math in former USSR in school, we had a problem book with 3 cases of problem A B C. A most people can be taught to do(bright kids in normal school). B is actually hard and C makes your brain explode. On many test we would get 2 problems for 2 hours(B ones normally, you could get a C one as bonus and if you could get it you could skip next test). You would be graded on how well you approached it you did not get the result right. Or if it was a proof did you make any assumptions that were not warranted etc. First semester I transferred to that school I failed every single test(most of them with score of 0). But overtime it was amazing just how much better I got and principles of struggling against hard problem work everywhere.

Math abstraction is I think like lifting for physical sports. It just makes you stronger to do whatever else you want to do.

Strange that they're teaching this "make 10" strategy. When I was a kid that's something I came up with on my own and my teachers told me it was wrong, that I should solve math in as few of steps as possible... "making 10" is a wasted step that slows you down.

I guess I was right and they were wrong.

I've always done the 10s thing in my head and I'm really good at fast mental math. It's a handy party trick. You can usually figure out if someone is doing this implicitly if they can calculate powers of 2 very quickly. It's quite easy to do up to the 13th power or so if you're doing it this way, pretty hard to do otherwise.

Pretty sure you're wrong. We learned to multiple by 2 all the way to 100 in our heads.

Yes, you learned to multiple TO 100: a 10x10 multiplication table. You never memorized a table that goes out to 52x52, or 100x100.

To multiply 52 x 2 x 100, you're applying other skills like knowledge of place value.

52x2 is easy because you know how to break it down into 50x2 + 2x2. 50x2 is easy because your knowledge of place value allows you to see it as merely an extension of 5x2.

And the processes that I learned were largely based on rote memorization of basic math. That shit that isn't being taught anymore.

The same basic multiplication table is still taught. You're talking out of your ass. Your story is about a group of morons, not about anyone being taught improperly.

"Make 10" is something that was being taught in class, the kid would understand the context if he paid attention. Give him an F.

Yes, you learned to multiple TO 100: a 10x10 multiplication table. You never memorized a table that goes out to 52x52, or 100x100.
I'm sure he really did memorize a 100x100. :rolleyes:
As an aside, I think we might have actually used a 12x12 in first and second grade.
Another poster put it quite well:
(Using methods like those at the start of the thread) you can reduce how much you need to memorize substantially

I must be some kind of freak then. I've been "making 10" for what seems like decades. Isn't this how everyone calculates getting change or putting a tip on a credit card receipt?

I must be some kind of freak then. I've been "making 10" for what seems like decades. Isn't this how everyone calculates getting change or putting a tip on a credit card receipt?

"Make 10" is something you just figure out on your own. I've been doing it myself since elementary school but I never had a teacher force me to learn it.

Teach the kid that 8 + 5 = 13 via counting.

Then let the kid figure out his or her own methods of getting there on their own. The tricks I use to calculate are going to be different than the tricks other people use. The difference is that we were taught the basic form and from there on we were able to use our own tricks to get there faster. We weren't forced to learn basic math as well as tricks on top of that. There's no reason to be teaching children speed math. In the end not only will many of them not retain the speed math tricks, but they wont retain the basic math theory either because they are so confused by all the different ways to get the same answer.

Teach the kid that 8 + 5 = 13 via counting.

Then let the kid figure out his or her own methods of getting there on their own. The tricks I use to calculate are going to be different than the tricks other people use. The difference is that we were taught the basic form and from there on we were able to use our own tricks to get there faster. We weren't forced to learn basic math as well as tricks on top of that. There's no reason to be teaching children speed math. In the end not only will many of them not retain the speed math tricks, but they wont retain the basic math theory either because they are so confused by all the different ways to get the same answer.
The kids are still being taught the basic form. I too figured out those tricks on my own but not all kids do, obviously. Moreover, being presented with a set of different tricks would allow you to use those you prefer.

I really don't see the problem.

Last edited:
Back