Please tell me your opinion regarding this math problem

He is right that this is how you multiply, add, or subtract big numbers in your head --- you break it down into decimals and then add them together.

The question is worded strangely though, and it is totally unclear that it is asking for this mathematical operation. The English sucks.

SO would taking five from the eight to make ten with the other five (5+5) be correct as well?

He is right that this is how you multiply, add, or subtract big numbers in your head --- you break it down into decimals and then add them together.

The question is worded strangely though, and it is totally unclear that it is asking for this mathematical operation. The English sucks.

It mirrors some of the tricks we use to do mathematics in our heads, although there are many better mental mathematic tricks which we should be focused on.

How about we cut the crap and teach kids how to do math correctly with an emphasis on accuracy, speed, and clarity?

How would you guys feel if this type of math was taught to your children? Or to your kids one day if you haven't had (but plan on having) kids?

How would you guys feel if this type of math was taught to your children? Or to your kids one day if you haven't had (but plan on having) kids?

My fiance is an elementary school teacher, I'm gonna ask her about this.

If it's taught correctly ... And there is a reason for it.... And it won't complicate things later on in life, then I don't see the problem.

Real life story: my friends daughter learned this common core stuff in grade school but they don't use it in junior high - so now she has to learn a new way of solving the same problems. Kids don't need that bullshit. And I don't see the real world benefits of this method, either. The U.S. used to have top notch puic schools. Basic math hasn't changed, I don't comprehend the arrogance behind this change.

I still haven't fully understood the logic behind it (something to do with inserting a mental extra step in the thought process required to solve the 8+5 equation?) but I'd prefer if they kept math to absolutes. 8+5 is 13. If you want to break it up into steps you have to write

(8+2)+3=13

or

8+2=10, 10+3=13

or whatever. Not like math was ever my strong suite.

I think math isn't just about learning to count, but about learning a language that is as free from interpretation as possible.

I would find it frustrating that my (future) children were being taught nonsense.

I don't have a problem with Common Core but I do have a problem with shitty teachers who don't understand Common Core.

It mirrors some of the tricks we use to do mathematics in our heads, although there are many better mental mathematic tricks which we should be focused on.

How about we cut the crap and teach kids how to do math correctly with an emphasis on accuracy, speed, and clarity?

cell phones are generally not allowed.

When I add I was always break it up in my head so if I'm adding 85 and 53 what I'm actually doing is 80 + 50 = 130 + 5 + 3 = 138.

I'll be honest though I didn't get the question in the op. The wording was terrible.

If it's taught correctly ... And there is a reason for it.... And it won't complicate things later on in life, then I don't see the problem.

Real life story: my friends daughter learned this common core stuff in grade school but they don't use it in junior high - so now she has to learn a new way of solving the same problems. Kids don't need that bullshit. And I don't see the real world benefits of this method, either. The U.S. used to have top notch puic schools. Basic math hasn't changed, I don't comprehend the arrogance behind this change.

The US still has top notch public schools... in some states...

When I add I was always break it up in my head so if I'm adding 85 and 53 what I'm actually doing is 80 + 50 = 130 + 5 + 3 = 138.

I'll be honest though I didn't get the question in the op. The wording was terrible.

Could be that they had been learning "make 10" throughout the entire course, and that the pupils were supposed to know what it meant without further explanation by the time of the test.

It's obviously very stupid, because it's intended for the most stupid students. It forces children of normal intelligence to do extra work by making the process more important than the answer. How it should be is you get graded for the answer, and the students who need to know Make 10 and other ancillary methods receive the help they need from the teachers.

I'm no math expert but this is a weird way to teach math.

Although I understand it. It's still weird.

exactly. my dad absolutely taught me this trick when I was very young

anyways, the wording of the question is terrible. all it had to say was "how can you use the 'Make 10' method to solve 8+5?"

It's obviously very stupid, because it's intended for the most stupid students. It forces children of normal intelligence to do extra work by making the process more important than the answer. How it should be is you get graded for the answer, and the students who need to know Make 10 and other ancillary methods receive the help they need from the teachers.

If anything, I would say its the opposite. Understanding that all numbers are sums of other of numbers and can be broken down into those numbers to be more manageable is much more difficult than memorizing 8+5=13. I agree its a poorly worded question though.

The question is shit. The idea behind it is quite good. I was thought how to do this extensively in 6th grade, I did some of this already just by naturally learning and my dad teaching me but it basically taught us all the basic tricks and to become, quick and efficient at it. We had like an entire couple weeks taking all the math we had learned and were thought how to "simplify" the equations. Basically the question was 8+5=13. Simplify it. (8+2)+3=13. Obviously the questions weren't literally that easy but it was good to practice this for quick basic math problem solving in your head. It made the class pretty good at math word problems as well.

Back