1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Please recommend Wrestling conditioning drills

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by earthman32, Jul 24, 2010.

1. earthman32

earthman32 Orange Belt

Joe Rogan contantly talks about the wrestling foundation, the conditioning required, etc, etc. Okay, I'll bite. What drills are used in the wrestling room that aren't being used in MMA conditioning? I train Muay Thai & Jiu-Jitsu. I've competed MMA. I've spent time training with Gracie jiu-jitsu camps, Team Quest, college wrestlers from Oklahoma, reading books and other materials on grappling conditioning. I'm trying to play catch-up with the guys coming out of wrestling so what are they doing that's different from what I'm doing?

I'm looking for examples of drills, routines, rep counts, other valuable resources, etc. Any recommendations?

2. Dafreeclinic

Dafreeclinic Orange Belt

Well first Joe Rogan can be misleading and I think alot of what he saids is to hype but read the stickies if you have a conditioning problem.

3. earthman32

earthman32 Orange Belt

I have read the stickies and i don't necessarily believe I have a conditioning problem, per se. I think I'm up to date on most "MMA" training techniques (ie HIIT, Tabata, cardio, strength, endurance, etc) and i try to challenge myself in the gym, but i keep hearing about how tough it was to be in wrestling and this and that, how it makes for a better fighter.

So my question is just, what are wrestlers doing that regular MMA practicioners aren't? I'm a nose-to-the-grind-stone type of guy and don't mind being pushed during practice, but if there's something that I don't know about that these wrestlers were raised up doing, I'd like to know what it is.

Aren't most MMA conditioning theories and techniques based on wrestling drills? I trained a two week camp with Team Quest's pro team and they seem to be using the same drills most commonly used to train MMA, but they're also inherit wrestlers. In other words, they worked with judo coaches, Follis works the submission drills, they had an independent boxing coach come in and work. They didn't work much wrestling drills because they're all wrestlers and can pretty well handle themselves in that regard.

Rewatching Sonnen v Marquardt, I listened to the commentary and wondered, "Marquardt is a skilled wrestler, but Sonnen was hungry for that take down and stronger in the scrambles. Why?"

4. Keosawa

Keosawa Black Belt

This is far from a comprehensive list, but one of the better conditioning drills I remember clearly was the spinning drill. It's a staple for all wrestling programs and a pretty brutal endurance-builder. It's also pretty simple and can be done with a partner: one wrestler sets up in bottom position, with his hands and knees on the mat, and the other spins around him with his chest on the other man's back; occasionally, the spinning wrestler will switch directions. When I wrestled, one wrestler would spin for thirty seconds, then you'd switch. We'd do this for a good 10 to 12 minutes, with the final few minutes being 15-second cycles in which we were expected to pick up our workrate.

I'm not suggesting our method for this drill is perfect, but I figured I'd provide you with as much information as I could so that you might make your own decision.

Here's a link to a video that will do a better job than I did of explaining it: YouTube - Barry Davis Wrestling Spinning Drills . That series from Barry Davis has a few other good drills, if you're interested.

5. ironbismark

ironbismark Green Belt

isn't it more that they wrestle for hours and not the specific drills they do that makes their conditioning?

6. Flow'n

Flow'n Blue Belt

Check out the grappling forum dude. Lots of good info there.

7. earthman32

earthman32 Orange Belt

Thank you for the recommendation. I do remember this drill from earlier days working with my wrestler friends.

So what would a normal day in the gym consist of? Running, wrestling, conditioning? How long? What order?

I can't remember who brought this up, but there was a suggestion i check the grappling forum. I'll do that, but i guarantee that if i post this same thread in the grappling forum, someone would object, "check the conditioning forum."

8. Bright5086200

Bright5086200 Blue Belt

shark tank drill will whip you into shape quickly. As long as you are good enough. Go for takedowns. If you get the takedown, you stay in.

If you arent good enough, just pick a highly conditioned opponent and tell your partner that you wont stop until someone gets to 20 takedowns. I guarantee by the 5th takedown you will be huffing and puffing.

9. @thleticsJunkie

@thleticsJunkie Black Belt

Another good wrestling drill is similar to the one mentioned earlier. It requires 2 people. Have one guy on his hands and knees and then position yourself perpendicular to his body. Hook your arms under his body and position your head and neck over his back, then do a sommersault. Once your feet hit the ground let go, roll over to your stomach, low crawl under your partner, and put yourself back into the starting position. I'm not sure if I explained this good enough so that a reader can understand, if not let me know and I'll try and clear up any questions.

Wrestlers also love training their necks. Another thing you can do is to put the top of your forehead on the ground and position your feet approximately 2 feet apart from each other, hold for a minute or so at a time.

10. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

Check out flowwrestling. There are plenty of good workouts on there.

11. B.A. Ben Askren

B.A. Ben Askren Yellow Belt

I know at the DI college I'm going to be attempting to walk on at, we run 3 times a week in the morning (3 mile timed runs, springs, bleachers, etc.), then lift weights for roughly 90 minutes four times a week. The running is about half an hour, but intense. Then there is generally one 2 hour practice, but sometimes two. Saturday and Sunday off, but if you want you can come in on Saturday for "fat camp" if you are out of shape or need to cut some weight. And the biggest conditioning benefit comes from hand fighting/wrestling/mat work live 2 or more hours a day.

12. believe

believe White Belt

Joe isnt trying to hype anything, hes giving his honest opnion on what he thinks is the best background for mma

13. blizzard_armbar

blizzard_armbar Strangle Hold

sit out drills, scrambling drills, burpees, box jumps(table jumps chair jumps, car jumps, any high jumping activity in reps), . Go to a college or wrestling club near you and train wrestling. Or get some instructional videos/books and practice w/ a friend, practice staying off your back( a good wrestler will fight like hell to stay off their backs.) Sorry so short. I gotta cold, and I'm pissed aboutit. Hope I help.

14. darkcitydeadman

darkcitydeadman Purple Belt

If you work out at home try heavy bag stuff.

15. TheeFaulted

TheeFaulted Inzer Belt

I don't know how to embed videos from flowrestling, but check out this ASU practice.

ASU HELL WEEK

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  16. Dirty Holt

Dirty Holt Black Belt Professional Fighter

The majority (99%) of your drill in a wrestling room are going to be basic positioning. Very rarely are you throwing a heavy bag around, doing Turkish get-ups, or jumping/sprinting around. The whole practice is basically gaining position, holding position, and regaining position. You will spend an hour doing this, about a half hour of live wrestling, then maybe 10-15 minutes of traditional conditioning. Wrestlers seem so strong because they out position you, and you are at a major disadvantage. On top of that, they arent working very hard, and you are working very hard trying to regain position, so you get tired and they dont. I would suggest going to Wrestling - Flowrestling | Wrestling Videos, News, Results, Athletes, Coaches on Flowrestling and use the search function to watch some college practices, or freestyle/greco practices.

17. bj per Ali

bj per Ali Yellow Belt

Uh wow.. it isnt the drilling that makes a wrestler's conditioning. It's the fact that they're wrestling for hours everyday. Wrestling is an extremely intense, fast-paced anaerobic activity that increases strength and cardio. Try grappling without submissions and see how much more "active" it is than bjj. Not comparable.

18. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

I've actually done this workout a few times. I almost died. And I did it in the gym, not in the Arizona heat

19. ijustwannasurf

ijustwannasurf Brown Belt

Beast level.

20. pjmeunyc12

pjmeunyc12 Purple Belt

Jesus Christ