Please rate my overall training program

UFCBlackbelt

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
1 and 1/2th months into this training.

5’10
164 lbs

Nutrition: 117-130grams protein (generally lean meats + whey)
5g creatine daily.
Light amt of plain Carbs (baked potato, rice) and light steamed veggies (sensitive to high fiber)
Fish oil, vitamin D. Ginger tea in the morning for recovery.
Only water, milk or tea.
Generally in the 1400-1800 cal range.

One cheat day (for dating/holiday/etc), not to surpass 2500 cals.

Workout routine
Warmups: Light basketball/ boxing/ dynamic stretching

Legs
Chest/Triceps/Shoulders
Back/Biceps
Rest
Swimming or Running or Boxing - High Intensity Interval Training
Rest/Abs/Stretch

Workouts usually high intensity, focus on form, low speed reps, lower speed lowering weights. 3 sets per exercise on average not including warmup
Generally in 7-10 rep range, usually 8. Usually add in one power training session. pr week where I try to jump up weight in the 4-6 rep range.

No deadlifts, incorporating squats soon (working on goblin squats and leg presses for now, had a torn meniscus in the past). I benchpress.

Can probably trap bar deadlift.

Without knowing your goals cant really rate it.

Why no deadlift?
Sounds fine but what is the goal here

We can't rate it since we don't know what your goals are.

I will say this though.....You're gonna turn out looking like Christian Bale from The Machinist if you plan on eating only 1400 calories daily. At your height and weight you burn through more than 1400 kcal being completely sedentary. But if that's your goal then you're on the right track.

Regarding frequency and lifting only 3 days per week I would advice to spread the days and go full body rather than split. There is no point on leg push pull if your frequency is training 3 x per week. If this was 6 x per week I would agree.

You will have better progress using 5x5 way of training, even if you go for 3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Your calorie intake is too low for someone your size, you're already thin. Having to picture you in my head I'm assuming you need to put some muscle not lose weight.

What's your goal?

5’10
164 lbs

5g creatine daily.
Light amt of plain Carbs (baked potato, rice) and light steamed veggies (sensitive to high fiber)
Only water, milk or tea.

Workout routine

Legs
Chest/Triceps/Shoulders
Back/Biceps
Rest
Rest/Abs/Stretch

Workouts usually high intensity, focus on form, low speed reps, lower speed lowering weights. 3 sets per exercise on average not including warmup
Generally in 7-10 rep range, usually 8. Usually add in one power training session. pr week where I try to jump up weight in the 4-6 rep range.

No deadlifts, incorporating squats soon (working on goblin squats and leg presses for now, had a torn meniscus in the past). I benchpress.

Wrong.

3x10 for growth, intensity, aggression, protein shakes sparingly, read up on it

What's the goal?

I'm guessing it's not to bulk seeing as you weigh 77 kilo and you're intake is no more than 1800 calories for 6 days a week

Regarding frequency and lifting only 3 days per week I would advice to spread the days and go full body rather than split. There is no point on leg push pull if your frequency is training 3 x per week. If this was 6 x per week I would agree.

You will have better progress using 5x5 way of training, even if you go for 3 sets of 8-10 reps.
What's the goal?

I'm guessing it's not to bulk seeing as you weigh 77 kilo and you're intake is no more than 1800 calories for 6 days a week

Your calorie intake is too low for someone your size, you're already thin. Having to picture you in my head I'm assuming you need to put some muscle not lose weight.

What's your goal?

my bf is somewhere around 21-23% so I am looking to lose some bodyfat while building lean muscle, it's been working so far. I have a hard time getting all my protein via foods alone.

Generally my diet looks like this, excluding supplements.

Morning: Protein powder (40g) + Creatine + Almond MIlk/Lactase Milk, light fruit + Egg whites maybe

Lunch: Rice + Big Meat (Salmon/Chicken) or some dish involving a big meat

Snack: meat snack/fruit/peanuts

Dinner: Light carb + meat.

I would like to stack muscle but my higher goal is to reduce BF%.

I also have a super sensitive stomach to veggies, I actually want to eat veggies but I normally steam them like carrots

Mate if it's working then keep going, as all that matters is getting towards the goal
Only advice I would give is do your cardio fasted to really burn that body fat

I steam all my veg, i can't do raw.

Other than that, imo, it's mostly about diet
Get the diet right, eat the right foods at the right time in the right portions and youll hit the BF goal

5’10
164 lbs

5g creatine daily.
Only water, milk or tea.

Workout routine

Legs
Chest/Triceps/Shoulders
Back/Biceps
Rest
Rest/Abs/Stretch

Critiques to your routines, take it or leave it:

-Not enough proteins: bump 130g to at least 160g.

-Not enough calories: regardless of your goals, 1800 is too little. My 5'4 125lbs GF outeats you. Aim for at least 2.5k everyday and cheat days aim for 3 to 4k.

-Your frequency is really low, you displayed your split as: ''Legs, Chest/Triceps/Shoulders, Back/Biceps'' which is just an overcomplificiation of LOWER/PUSH/PULL. You are missing out of a lot of progression training muscles only 1x per week. Either go for a FULL BODY 3x per week or PUSH/PULL 4x per week or UPPER/LOWER 4x per week.

-Lack of compound lifts: build your workouts around Bench, OHP, Deadlifts, Squats, Chin Ups and Rows. All the rest is gravy, those are fundamentals.

I think you have the right mindset, but you also have no idea what you're doing.

5’10
164 lbs

5g creatine daily.
Only water, milk or tea.

Workout routine

Legs
Chest/Triceps/Shoulders
Back/Biceps
Rest
Rest/Abs/Stretch

Not enough protein, not enough calories,

You should eat 1g of protien per lbs you weight. If you are 176 lbs, eat 176s g protein

You're trying to grow muscle, why are you eating like a bitch before her wedding day? You should be eating closer to 2500kcal per day of healthy clean foods.

If your meniscus is healed you should squat and deadlift with strict form. Its not a fucking excuse.

What are your goals @UFCBlackbelt

Not enough protein, not enough calories,

You should eat 1g of protien per lbs you weight. If you are 176 lbs, eat 176s g protein

You're trying to grow muscle, why are you eating like a bitch before her wedding day? You should be eating closer to 2500kcal per day of healthy clean foods.

If your meniscus is healed you should squat and deadlift with strict form. Its not a fucking excuse.

What are your goals @UFCBlackbelt

I want to have low bf% and muscle.

im at like 23% bf

I want to have low bf% and muscle.

im at like 23% bf

23% BF at what weight? Sub 200lbs the problem isn't the amount of fat you have it's the amount of muscle you DO NOT

im 167 lbs this morning

Okay so please listen to me or you will burn out, injure yourself and get weaker.

You need to eat a minimum of 167 g of protein per day. There's no wiggle room here.

Now that you know how much protein you need, pick a calorie goal, lets say 2400. I

There's 4 kcal in 1g protein. So 167 g protein is 668 kcal. Fill the rest of the calories with fat and carbs. The ratios of carbs and fats don't matter as long as you consistently eat 167g of protein and no more than 2400 .

Next, scope out my most recent thread here for a program you should use.

Body parts splits are simply suboptimal for newbs.

Okay so please listen to me or you will burn out, injure yourself and get weaker.

You need to eat a minimum of 167 g of protein per day. There's no wiggle room here.

Now that you know how much protein you need, pick a calorie goal, lets say 2400. I

There's 4 kcal in 1g protein. So 167 g protein is 668 kcal. Fill the rest of the calories with fat and carbs. The ratios of carbs and fats don't matter as long as you consistently eat 167g of protein and no more than 2400 .

Next, scope out my most recent thread here for a program you should use.

Body parts splits are simply suboptimal for newbs.

how can i possibly get that much protein in a day, i struggle to get to 117

how can i possibly get that much protein in a day, i struggle to get to 117

Learn to eat more. Learn to eat higher protein foods. Eggs chicken fish red meat greek yogurt almonds and milk. I ate 100g protien in one sitting for dinner (lb of salmon) with 1.5 cups of couscous today. I just drank a shake with 60g protien. I ate 4 eggs and a cup of cottage chese for breakfast. Just force it down and keep it down.

Youre just gonna fuck yourself up eating that little protein.

use something like My Fitness Pal and make it easier to track macros. A normal size chicken breast should be around 50g so a couple of them a double protein shake and 3 eggs and you are there.

Also oats are a good balance of carbs and protein, and lean beef mince is also good.

Back