Please help on my weight cut, very worried.

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Fondler, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Fondler

Fondler Banned Banned

Hi, so I am doing a tournament on the 25th and I am trying to cut weight to the next division because I know almost everyone in this tournament will be cutting weight.

As of right now I am 170 and the division I am looking to weigh in as is 154.99.

The weigh-ins are the afternoon-night before the tournament.

I have been drinking lots of water and haven't really had any bread, cheese, or milk in the last week. Any tips on how I can lose a few pounds before I cut the weight, or is staying at 170 and cutting 15 pounds a better thing to do?

I also haven't cut weight before, don't know if that will be a problem.

Thanks guys!

2. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

You don't seem like you know what you're doing, I suspect you haven't done this before, and cutting 15lbs in just over a week isn't a good way to start learning.

I'd suggest you don't cut at all, or cut much less, and be more prepared the next time around.

Forgive me if that comes across as harsh, just trying to be helpful.

3. steroid-doc

steroid-doc Purple Belt

hack saw just below the knee and youll probably just make it , if your still short start on the other leg .

botulism , typhoid and salmonela might help too

4. RamlebNeral

RamlebNeral White Belt

Alright, I was a heavyweight in High school and would have to cut weight almost every week to make it to 215. And I was about as lean as I could be at 215. This is not the Healthiest* thing to do, but if you need to lose 15-20 pounds it will work(worked for me).

1. Dehydrate, take in the minimal until after you weigh ins. Get in the sauna with a sweat-suit, garbage bag, whatever to make you sweat. Take 15-20 minute sessions, make sure you take a few sips of water between sessions and if you start having a upset stomach, feel dizzy, stop.
    2. Body De-tox, Don't know if you can still get it at GNC. It makes you crap, like HOLY CRAP! you have a few pounds of just sludge sitting in your intestine, this will clean you out if you can get it. Its kinda like getting an enima. Just, make sure you don't have anything strenuous planned and !!DO NOT!! gamble on a fart :D
    3. Eat very sparringly, multiple times a day. Take in High protein foots, and dietary fiber (meats/nuts/veggies) and really slim the meals down, split like 1000 calories between 4-5 meals. It sucks and you feel hungry, especially since your not drinking your normal ammount of fluids.

**AFTER WEIGH INS**
    when you make weight, immediatly after if you don't have a match scheduled right away, take in some carbs & protein, sodium, and WATER. Try to force hydrate if you can till your pee is clear then stop for a while to let your body absorb that H2O. You will not be feeling 100% for the fight but you will get to fight..

again its not the best for you but if you need to drop a quick 15-20 pounds it has worked for me. And i had minimal body fat when I used to do this.

Goodluck!

5. cooks1

cooks1 No matter where you go-there you are Platinum Member

Whoa there buddy.... There is a HHUUGGEE difference between a 230 lb guy dropping to 215 in a week or so and a 170 lb guy dropping to 155. Regardless of how 'minimal your bodyfat is'. A 230 lb person will have almost 50 lbs more water in their body than a 170 lb person.

Without having done a practice cut, you DEFINATELY DO NOT want to be doing this. Just go at the higher weight. It is just a tournament. It is obviously not a school tournament of any sort, as wrestling season has not even started yet. So there are no scholarships are anything like that at stake. You will be more competitive at the higher weight and giving up the size than you would doing the cut and going in emaciated and weak. Being competitive is the main idea, right?

Not to mention the fact that the next 9 days of training will be terrible because you are listless and have no energy. This will also make you more injury prone.

Suck it up, go the higher weight this time. Be smarter next time, and do a practice cut 5-6 weeks before the next one. See how you do in practice 24 hours after you have cut the weight and rehydrated. That will give you a much better idea.

6. GJJNY

GJJNY Purple Belt

Why do these cutting threads usually start with an OP who doesn't know a damn thing about cutting, lead to bad advice and probably being off weight.

My philosophy is that unless you've done a large cut before, or this fight is for a nice chunk of change, don't waste your time. Cutting weight is miserable and when you do it wrong you're almost guaranteed to feel like crap when competition time comes.

7. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

Amen.

8. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

I think you should pork up to 175 and fight a bunch of badly dehydrated weak guys.

9. DutchMafia

DutchMafia Orange Belt

NAGA DC perhaps?

After a trip to Chicago in July I ballooned up to 255, as of this morning I was down to 233 so I have 8 pounds to go before Friday. At my size cutting 6-7 pounds of water is no problem, at your size it could be very bad for you.

Since you'll likely not listen to us anyway, I'll say that the distilled water method has done the trick for me before. Combine that with nearly no zero sodium intake and a protein only diet and you might be able to cut that 15 pounds. My suggestion is that the next time you don't wait till the last minute. Reduction of calories over weeks is a much healthier alternative.

10. Nick Kilian

Nick Kilian Amateur Fighter

I would say the reward of being normal weight compared to everyone isn't high enough in this situation. You will suffer not having energy the day of tournament. You cannot re-hydrate adequately in a few hours.