Please Help Me, so sick of being me and myself

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by babygetoboy, Sep 17, 2013.

1. babygetoboy

babygetoboy Yellow Belt

Hi everyone, I officially hate being me and I really need some help.

My knees hurt, my back really hurts all the time, I'm incredibly inflexible, I'm overweight, and I have terrible cardio.

I love jiu jitsu but have a really hard time doing it because of the conditioning my body is in.

I really need help to change around. I can't live like this anymore. just don't know where/how to start, i've read all of the FAQ but I was just seeing if anyone was in my position, and what they did and how they did it.

2. NurseKnuckles

NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

They probably chose a program from the FAQ and started hating themselves less.

3. AlbionOakley

AlbionOakley Orange Belt

Yep

4. bowlie

bowlie Purple Belt

Like nurse says hard training. If you have a problem that makes hard training a bad idea (i.e. hurting knees and back) fix what makes them hurt and then train hard. I suggest you get a really good trainer that understands injuries or a physio that understands sports and you work with them to fix whatever is causing you problems. I have a few injuries that are holding me back in training. Ive been trying to fix them myself with limited success. Im considering paying out for a physio right now.

One thing you can probably do yourself that will fix alot is lose weight. Even if you cant lift (and you should if you can) you can probably sit on an exercise bike. If not you can eat less. Lose weight and work on joint mobility. Those two things will work wonders.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  5. JauntyAngle

JauntyAngle International man of mystery

If you're really in terrible shape, start low, build up gradually. Just start doing incline walks on a treadmill, or use the cross-trainer on a low resistance setting. Don't kill yourself the first few weeks, just do something, and next time, make sure you do a little more. So maybe the first time you can only do an incline walk for 15 minutes. So do it. Next time, do 20 minutes, or 18 minutes, or whatever. The next time, a little more.

Don't make yourself think that if you're not hammering yourself into the ground it's not working. Because if you hammer yourself into the ground, you'll be sore as hell for a week, and maybe you won't go again. Your objective should not be to hammer yourself into the ground, your objective should be to almost effortlessly reach the point where you can do something at a reasonable level of intensity for an hour or so after a couple of months, without ever having got sore. Because you are trying to build your capacity to work, not to punish yourself, and you are trying to establish the habit of getting into the gym (or out onto the road, or whatever). You also want to start getting fixated on progression- getting a kick out of improving at anything, whatever it is. Having that mentality that whatever you do, wherever it is squatting, or sprinting, or press-ups, or whatever, that each session, or each week, you are going to do just a little bit better than last time. And that's your kick, or what drives you- not hammering yourself, just improving. (Hammering yourself will come in time, but it will come at a point where you can handle it, and where your motivation to progress is so strong that hammering yourself doesn't deter you.)

The same thing goes for strength, too. Programmes like Starting Strength are good for a number of reasons, but one of them is because they start easy, build up slowly and they teach you that it is all about progression.

The only other thing to do is to read around a little bit, find out what else is out there. If you spend 3-4 months just building up your basic conditioning, and the same amount of time on something like Starting Strength, it can build quite a hunger to try other things. So while you are doing that you can read about other approaches to lifting and other approaches to conditioning. And when you are done, you will be ready and able to try some of them.

6. Minnja

Minnja Touch-Butt white belt Platinum Member

Start with dieting and cardio. You don't have to make your diet miserable, but just cut out the snacks, soda etc. Jog for a bit everyday

7. babygetoboy

babygetoboy Yellow Belt

I feel hopeless

8. Cratos

Cratos Banned Banned

Troll?

9. Tedarch82

Tedarch82 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

It's never too late to change something you don't like,you can do whatever you want in this life.

10. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

Do what Jaunty said, plus fix your diet.

11. Porch_Rabbit

Porch_Rabbit Blue Belt

^^Doesn't seem like it based on his join date and post history.

Man, you might want to look into getting some help. Your attitude seems like you're having much bigger problems in your life than your physical shape. There is no shame in seeking help from time to time. We all have our demons in some form or another.

In regards to getting back in shape, there is no magical cure. Advice such as Jaunty's will work but it takes patience.

Patience and persistence are the keys, even though you might not want to hear that. I know how you feel with pain such as knee and back pain. I have completely blown out both knees and broken my back twice. It is a long journey to overcome those problems but it pays off in the end. You just have to force yourself to keep chipping away even though you won't see any real progress from day to day. But as those days add up, you will be able to look back and see that you have underwent a huge transformation, and there is no better feeling.

Another thing is you will have to just man up to some degree. It has been 4 years since my last knee surgery and 6 years since my last back injury, and I still have to deal with lingering pain and soreness. As long as there isn't some underlying issue or injury, you're going to have to just man up and deal with some of the pain if you really want to change like you say you do.

12. RawDawgBob

RawDawgBob Like's; 100,000,000,000.69

Trt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. babygetoboy

babygetoboy Yellow Belt

Thanks guys, I'm just gonna start by trying to cut out the junk food and just jog for a little bit everyday and increase it from there.

14. bowlie

bowlie Purple Belt

Good plan. If the jogging is too hard on your knees try walking, cycling or swimming. Take small steps, make small victories for yourself. Keep your chin up man (apart from in sparring)

15. DrBdan

DrBdan Something clever

That's a good place to start. If you are inactive and overweight right now you might even want to start with walking instead of jogging. That might seem lame but it's more important to do something you can maintain instead of going too hard and injuring yourself.

16. Azamat Bogatov

Azamat Bogatov Yellow Belt

Eat clean. I noticed an instant difference.
    If your back is hurting along with your knees and bad cardio, take supplements, have massages to promote recovery, and swim to exercise without straining too hard. if your knees can handle it, cycling is a good exercise too.

17. NurseKnuckles

NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

Yes, eat clean. Wash your fruits before chowing down.

18. Frode Falch

Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

Dont look for a shoulder to cry on.. Just start training. and start eat more healthy.

time will take care of the rest..

19. FlexLuthor

FlexLuthor Blue Belt

Read Jim wendler's 531. Not for the exact program itself, but because it teaches a lot of valuable concepts involving warming up, mobility, conditioning and being a man. Which it sounds like you need.

20. LatFlare

LatFlare EADC

Watching a snail crawl along a straight razor.
    Identify what it is that you hate about yourself, and cut any behaviour that is contributing to you being like that.

Then decide what qualities you would like to see in yourself, and make all your decisions with a view to achieving this.

You are where you are because of the decisions you made in the past. If you want to be somebody else or somewhere else in life, start making different decisions. You might never get there, but you will be happy that you're going in the right direction.