Please explain why TRT is so bad for the sport

Scheme

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
PED's are only ruining the sport because of one guy, Vitor Belfort, knocking people out. Everyone else on TRT has been mediocre.

How can an entire sport ban these substances (which improve quality of life for the people who use it), when the majority of competitors on it have not had any success?

Notable TRT users:
Vitor (monster)
Frank Mir (lost past 4 fights)
Dan Henderson (lost 3 of 4 fights on TRT)
Sonnen (went 3-4 on TRT)
Marquardt (2-4 on TRT)
Rothwell (won 1 fight on TRT, didn't look overly impressive)

It's just the stupid, uneducated press that has decided that TRT = steroids, therefore it is awful.

TRT does = steroids.

Belfort lost the fight in which he tested positive for steroids, in fact he looked godawful in that fight. Most boring Belfort fight I have ever seen and I've watched the majority of his fights.

I don't believe Marquardt ever used TRT. He applied for it in one fight but then later said he didn't need it.

Henderson has his best career wins while on TRT. Wanderlei, Franklin, Fedor, Bisping, Shogun twice....4 of those by KO....now show me anyone of that caliber that he KO'd before using TRT.

Because you can abuse it to get an unfair advantage. Just because the people on it weren't really successful doesn't mean it's ok to do. Not everyone on steroids is successful either but that doesn't mean It's not wrong.

It's not bad, testosterone it's not allowed like every PED in every legit sport. If you do illegal shit, you get a bad reputation, just that.

If it was bad no one would use.

blabla "TRT is a therapy not a PED", I know, doesn't matter actually.

A lot of the fighters you mentioned are on the down side of their career arc. So they may not have had amazing success with TRT, but who knows, maybe they still did better than they would've.

TRT is steroids. Testosterone is a steroid. Being on TRT allows you to train harder and more often, potentially making your technique better and making you physically stronger too. This is not a good thing in a sport the competitors routinely inflict serious trauma to their opponents.

TRT in tennis? Yeah, fuck it, why not?

TRT in combat sports? No thanks.

It isn't bad for the sport. People just use it as an excuse.

My point is, how is TRT 'ruining' the sport, when it has no clear impact on who wins a fight? If you speak in hypothetical terms, then yes anything that enhances your performance would ruin the sport (which includes a lot of legal substances). But there is no clear evidence that it was having a major impact on who would win a fight based solely on usage.

The only thing ruining the sport when it was legal was the idiotic media.

Also @ that Dan Henderson comment, I don't believe he was on TRT on the Fedor fight or before. It would be interesting to see when he began using it.

TRT users fall into three camps. Two of which are not good for the sport in my opinion.

1) You're on TRT due to naturally declining testosterone in the body. When you reach your early to mid 30s, your testosterone levels in your body naturally decline. It becomes more difficult for the body to shed fat, gain muscle, and takes longer for you to recover from injury, and/or fatigue of doing a strenuous activity. Athletes such as Dan Henderson use TRT to put their testosterone levels back into the range of someone who is in their mid-late 20s, which I think is unfair. He should not be able to "turn back the clock" with a pill/needle to put himself on equal footing with guys like Jon Jones, Alexander Gustafsson, Anthony Johnson, Phil Davis, etc... He should accept that he is getting older, and his body is in natural decline and find ways to work around that. Change his style in order to compensate for lack of physical ability, or retire.

2) You're on TRT due to steroid abuse in your past and the body has stopped producing testosterone at a normal level and your body's testosterone levels are low due to this. When you take steroids for a long period of time, your body shuts down producing it's own natural testosterone because of an outside source of it being detected in the body and the body will not produce more than needed. When you stop taking steroids, the body needs a "kickstart" to start producing Testosterone again because the testosterone from the steroids has passed through the body, but the body doesn't know that it needs to start producing its own again. I think this is bad for the sport because what athletes like a Vitor Belfort, Mark Coleman, etc... who abused steroids in the past and need TRT because of this, get a leg up on the competition because of their own dubious past.

3) You're on TRT due to a legit medical reasoning like Bigfoot Silva. He has pituitary gland issues and suffers from gigantism. TRT helps regulate testosterone in his body because his body actually produces TOO MUCH on its own, and TRT helps put his testosterone levels into the range of a "normal" person so they will not suffer heath issues in life, and will not need constant surgery on their pituitary gland in order to keep the problem in check. This I have no issue with at all because it is a legit medical reason that deals with a legitimate serious problem.

My point is, how is TRT 'ruining' the sport, when it has no clear impact on who wins a fight?

It doesn't.

In fact, I'd argue that economics play more of a role in creating an "unfair advantage" than steroids.

Meaning, if I have little money, that usually means I cannot afford a great camp with great trainers.

If I have access to a lot of money, I can hire the best of the best to prepare me for my next fight, along with Dolce to help me cut.

So, we have a self-trained fighter vs a Jackson's fighter.

Why isn't this considered just as much as an "unfair advantage?" Because someone had access to more money, they get a better camp and dietician?

Almost anyone can afford these drugs, but not everyone can afford Jackson and Dolce.

Imagine giving a 40 year old fighter with all his knowledge, the body of a 25 year old. That might not be entirely accurate, but its comparable to what TRT is.

TRT does = steroids.

Belfort lost the fight in which he tested positive for steroids, in fact he looked godawful in that fight. Most boring Belfort fight I have ever seen and I've watched the majority of his fights.

I don't believe Marquardt ever used TRT. He applied for it in one fight but then later said he didn't need it.

Henderson has his best career wins while on TRT. Wanderlei, Franklin, Fedor, Bisping, Shogun twice....4 of those by KO....now show me anyone of that caliber that he KO'd before using TRT.

Marquardt was on trt

http://m.espn.go.com/extra/mma/story?storyId=6712851&src=desktop

TRT is bad for sports, the same way steroids is bad for baseball. Sure it can create some excitement because athletes perform these outrageous things but it is unfair because it is like cheating. Is it bad for team to video tape an opponents practice? Yes. What about stealing someone's playbook?

A persons testosterone levels are part of their body, high or low. As we age they drop, its a natural occurrence, just like needing reading glasses or losing your hearing.

To me the issue is you either embrace it 100% or have a zero tolerance policy. Baseball proved that, their unwillingness to ban people for it has made that game a total joke.

A lot of the fighters you mentioned are on the down side of their career arc. So they may not have had amazing success with TRT, but who knows, maybe they still did better than they would've.

TRT is steroids. Testosterone is a steroid. Being on TRT allows you to train harder and more often, potentially making your technique better and making you physically stronger too. This is not a good thing in a sport the competitors routinely inflict serious trauma to their opponents.

TRT in tennis? Yeah, fuck it, why not?

TRT in combat sports? No thanks.

steroids not a good thing for mma?
Then what was this then?

logo_pride_fc_png_by_cesareric-d1285yg.jpg

steroids not a good thing for mma?
Then what was this then?

logo_pride_fc_png_by_cesareric-d1285yg.jpg

Pride FC wasn't considered a "sport" in Japan as much as people enjoyed it. It was more loved for the spectacle and the over-the-top production value. Professional wrestling was and still is considered more of an actual sport in Japan than MMA was.

Perhaps the ufc should stop trying to turn this into a "sport" in the tradition of baseball, basjetball, ect. Maybe they should just embrace the spectacle like Pride did.

Perhaps the ufc should stop trying to turn this into a "sport" in the tradition of baseball, basjetball, ect. Maybe they should just embrace the spectacle like Pride did.

I disagree. I enjoy MMA as a sport. Having something as a legitimate sport allows for more people to come into it, rather than being pigeon holed into a "specific brand of entertainment" like professional wrestling is, where they're constantly having to re-invent themselves in order to stay viable. Where as a sport can simply find the "next big star". Look at why these off brand promotions in Europe never last with their stupid gimmicks such as tag-team MMA, and "team fortress" style MMA. Things like that only attract a limited audience.

Back