Please Define "Marketable"

Someone who puts butts in seats. And that's the bottom line, 'cause Stone Cold said so.

UFC needs to build stories leading up to fights.
And by stories I don't the BS they do now with both guys shadowboxing in dimly lit mist and talking about how they "had a great training camp and they are very prepared. I always look for the finish like the fans want" *queue 15 minute snugglefest*

I mean the life stories of the fighters, why they fight, how their style developed etc, and presented in a way that gives them dignity and is respectful of them. The UFC treats their fighters like dogs, straight up, there is ZERO respect towards them as athletes and men and this is present in the air and I think it turns a vast majority of people away.
When you think of say how the NBA promotes their stars, they are built up as larger than life heroes; idolized. Most importantly the athletes are aided and encouraged to build their brand. They are in commercials, have shoe lines, etc. This goes a loooooong way in building fanbases, and neither of these qualities is present in UFC. The fighters are treated like they are easily replaceable and stifled big time in building their brand because the UFC is terrified of fighter's fame growing beyond their control.

Think of the UFC's presentation and the overall vibe, and then watch this video. I can't understand a god damn word, but it still gets me way more hyped and emotional than a Zuffa promo ever has.

[YT]1Ot4IG7JS9c[/YT]

you show 1 10 minute highlight that includes 5 minutes of walkout to the ring. the ufc does entire series leading up to big fights.

nba players are in commercials and have shoe lines because their sponsors put them there, not because the nba gives them a shoe.

How about let's stop marketing to the casuals and start marketing to its real fans? Some casuals think jiu jitsu looks gay in the guard position.. seriously

U either like MMA or u dont

Decent first post. There was a thread the other day asking what is the best possible fight that the UFC could make.

Descended quickly into which fight would do most PPV's.

Never in my life have I wondered about the PPV count before/during/after an event.

I only care about what I wanna see... why so many give a fuck about PPV numbers, and what will interest the casual fans, I'll never know!

I think it's weird that we know more about the shmucks on TUF than we do about many of the champions.

I would like to see more training footage. Not just the shit they do on Countdown, but actual in depth discussion of what the dude is doing to prepare, without divulging too many trade secrets. What does the dude walk around at, what does he start his cut from, what is his diet like, what are the specific weights and reps that he lifts etc. Obviously some fighters would not want to disclose all of this information, but others might think its worthwhile to get the exposure.

And your preferred source is?

Official statements from either the UFC or the network. Everyone can guess, very few know. How can they as the only website magically know these numbers

In the UFC's eyes, a guy that is preferably foreign. Preferably from a country that does not have an mma star on the map yet. He should be remarkably handsome and possess an exciting fighting style as well.

He must feel at home around cameras, and it wouldn't hurt if he was a good trash talker. He does not need to be well liked, he just has to be someone you cannot afford not to watch come fight time.

As for female fighters, she must be hot and willing to use her sensuality to add to her appeal. That's about it.

you show 1 10 minute highlight that includes 5 minutes of walkout to the ring. the ufc does entire series leading up to big fights.

nba players are in commercials and have shoe lines because their sponsors put them there, not because the nba gives them a shoe.

lol....

UFC presentation is utter garbage compared to that video.
If PRIDE's presentation was a nice suit, UFC's is a ratty t-shirt you found on the ground.

Official statements from either the UFC or the network. Everyone can guess, very few know. How can they as the only website magically know these numbers

so you want some magical fantasy that isnt going to happen. They arent the only website, they just have a convenient list. Every website goes off of the same source though, Dave Meltzer. This is first week on sherdog stuff, come on.

Marketable =

Lesnar's size/physique +
Manhoef's KO power +
Sonnen's mouth +
Wand's (and lately Matt Brown's) fighting style

e.g., not Fitch or Shields.

/thread

Fedor just is not marketable outside of Russia. Those numbers might not be exact, but they are probably pretty close. We know his Affliction and one Pride PPVs bombed

so you want some magical fantasy that isnt going to happen. They arent the only website, they just have a convenient list. Every website goes off of the same source though, Dave Meltzer. This is first week on sherdog stuff, come on.

Come on what? Because Meltzer is great and trustworthy? Hahaha get the fuck out of here, exactly, first week Sherdog

Come on what? Because Meltzer is great and trustworthy? Hahaha get the fuck out of here, exactly, first week Sherdog

So you know better then every MMA website. Seems legit.

So you know better then every MMA website. Seems legit.

I know that I have no clue and that I will probably never find out what the real numbers are. Sometimes not knowing makes you less stupid than rambling idiocy and trusting everything you read.

All this talk about speaking english...

Either the UFC is a global entity or they aren't.

The fact that there are so many Brazilian fighters in the UFC that speak Portuguese is a huge reason Brazil is the second biggest and fastest growing market.

Do you honestly think Cain/Werdum are going to speak english on the Mexican season of TUF?

It's funny how every Sherdogger expects foreign fighters to speak english but don't say shit about american fighters on cards in other countries not speaking the native language.

Marketable fighter means that he cab sell

Barao is the second best p4p fighter in the ufc but not much marketable.

Aldo the same, but the #1 p4p

In uFc that is - someone dana can make money on

What do you want the UFC to do to market its fighters/athletes better? Explain in detail what and how you think this should be done. Explain what the UFC used to do correctly and it doesn't do anymore. Explain their shortcomings and such.

a rump kisser?

Back