Please Define "Marketable"

Anything that puts asses in seats (live or in front of the TV at home)

Can be looks, skills, backstory, personality, etc... doesn't matter. But they need to generate interest somehow.

- someone you want to see win for whatever reason... nationality, some other identification (I'm a big GSP fan, because I'm Canadian, and also because I loved the drama he always caused here)

- someone you want to see lose (Couldn't stand Nick Diaz, but watched every one of his fights)

- someone you want to see because you don't know what they're going to say next. (Chael Sonnen, for example is polarizing.... at one point the highest paid athlete in the UFC and has never held a belt... but he gets asses in seats)

- other examples... Brian Stann is marketable to the military / patriotic Americans

- Wanderlei appeals to Brazilians (at least he used to), and the old school MMA crowd.

- Brock Lesnar.... lot of people hated him with a passion, but you all tuned in to see him fight.... hoping he'd win, hoping he'd lose, etc.... you tuned in.

Fedor had no problem in being marketed. Cain speaks English, still no luck in being marketable.

UFC needs to invest time in fighters, not show 20 commercials of corn nuts and beers. Bellator does a nice job, they show some back story on the fighters, I like it.

Speaking English or not hasn't been a problem for a lot of fighters.

Didn't Fedor headline a PPV which had like 30K buys?

Didn't Fedor have a reputation that every org he had fought in failed?

Fedor was only marketable with the hardcores.

I believe that is more organisation based rather than a fighters fault.
Source for the PPV numbers?

Marketability is an it factor that when combined with promotional backing, performances worthy of bluster and some flat out dumb luck equates to money being made.

There is no one proven way to be marketable. Looks, being well spoken, where they're born and not even fight performance can guarantee somebody as being marketable. Also 9/10 it's an organic following.

For purposes of fighting in the UFC, it means a fighter who knows how to market themselves, because the UFC doesn't know how to market anyone.

How about let's stop marketing to the casuals and start marketing to its real fans? Some casuals think jiu jitsu looks gay in the guard position.. seriously

U either like MMA or u dont

So focus marketing strategy on an already captured market, instead of expanding the market thereby increasing the popularity of the product which would in turn increase revenue.

Interesting. So you got your MBA at Harvard?

Fedor is a legend and the GOAT. He's respected for his personality and demeanor. But neither his personality nor demeanor are very marketable to casual fans or to expand new market.

He's a zen master in a world of gangster rappers. The latter sells better.

In terms of marketing the sport, In Latin America, they are trying to educate the fans on the sport; they are doing this brief capsules that they air on tv with guys like Werdum and Kelvin explaining BJJ moves and stuff like that.
I think that helps the casual fans understand the sport better so they can appreciate it by other than the knockouts.

About marketing the fighters better, I think they're doing it right, but we don't hear about everything they do, so it sometimes fly under our radar. They have fighters on the road all of the time, promoting the brand and themselves all around the world.
Giving lesser-name fighters a spot on FOX cards and on main cards and even main events helps create new stars as well and takes a little of the pressure off the already established stars.
The TUF shows help too, the fighters on the show get much more coverage and fan love than if they were nobodies that just start fighting all of a sudden.
The Fighter Seminars help them too in areas that otherwise most of them would not even consider. (finance management, social media management, etc)

Ultimately, the way the fight, their demeanor and results will play a bigger role than all of the mentioned above in being superstars. But the UFC has little to nothing of a say in that.

I think they're doing it right, but this all takes time. It doesn't happen in a few months or even a year. And not everyone that is involved in these strategies will shine.
You will have 100 or more fighters involved in all of these tactics and only two or three out of them will eventually become stars.

So focus marketing strategy on an already captured market, instead of expanding the market thereby increasing the popularity of the product which would in turn increase revenue.

Interesting. So you got your MBA at Harvard?

You're so smart where did you get your degree? Wow you're so smart who would've thought. You should work for the ufc with ideas like that?

You don't deserve a response

Please Define "Marketable"

185839797-conor-mcgregor-interacts-with-fans-during-a-gettyimages.jpg

Back