Please Critique my Squat Form....Again

Keilza

Green Belt
Reaction score
So I posted a video of my squat form a few months ago saying that I'd take the hints and post back within a few weeks. There's been a slight delay because I was working in Cali and couldn't post, but anyway - here's the new form compared to the old.

Old:

New:

I've made some decent gains on the weight I can lift, but before I start progressing heavier I thought it best to check with you guys:icon_chee

Note: I do have more than one set of clothes. Honest.

*Update* The bar placement means I'm really doing High-bar squats. I'm pretty sure Rippetoe would tear my head off, so I'll experiment a little with the bar placement, take the comments and post back in a couple of weeks:D Thanks for everyone's comments.

Last edited:
they look great. a couple of reps may have been slightly high but overall very good. keep it up.

Second is much better. Olympic barbell, more weight, taking it out of the rack correctly, getting better depth. Only point I'd make is to begin the ascent with hip drive. Your hips move forward to start the drive upwards. Otherwise looking good and a marked improvement.

poor form rather,,, need more range of motion,, if you are training for anything other than powerlifting, you will need to go ass to the grass,, or till as long as your calves press hardly against your hamstrings,,,
stay more erect,, it is ok to bend after crossing parallel but you bent much before you reached parallel
a little bit of back hunching,,the back has to stay concave if you want to be injury free.... the best thing to do is to keep your hands AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE,,,grip the bar with the closest tightest grip, that itself will make sure your back doesn't hunch.
a front view video would give us some details on the placement of your feet and the way your knees move during the lift,,, the feet should be close at about shoulder width, toes pointed outwards and the knees moving outward rather than forward.

poor form rather,,, need more range of motion,, if you are training for anything other than powerlifting, you will need to go ass to the grass,, or till as long as your calves press hardly against your hamstrings,,,

Wut.

stay more erect,, it is ok to bend after crossing parallel but you bent much before you reached parallel

Lolwut.

a little bit of back hunching,,the back has to stay concave if you want to be injury free.... the best thing to do is to keep your hands AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE,,,grip the bar with the closest tightest grip, that itself will make sure your back doesn't hunch.

A close grip makes your upper back tight but doesn't have anything to do with your lower back. If you are concerned about lumbar rounding a close grip won't help much.

a front view video would give us some details on the placement of your feet and the way your knees move during the lift,,, the feet should be close at about shoulder width, toes pointed outwards and the knees moving outward rather than forward.

Dude, shut the fuck up.

In your second video, between seconds 15-16, I can see you pull up with your stomach, when you should be pulling up with your legs. I can fully judge your form, since I can't see your feet either, but my recommendation would be to make force with your legs, not your stomach, or back like in your first video.

Also, the heavier you go, the bigger you will get.

why don't post your video then give some better advice

I think we have a troll job, either way his hook grip will out do your 3 lift total any day of the week.

my 3 lift total > your e lifts,,, i wouldn't talk about my lifts,, but do you even know what a fucking hook grip is ... it is a deadlift/olympic lift grip, and he is doing squats,,, i understand you are a paralysed guy on a wheelchair posting because you have attention seeking behavior.

2042 posts, wow! you must have trolled your ass off on sherdog

my 3 lift total > your e lifts,,, i wouldn't talk about my lifts,, but do you even know what a fucking hook grip is ... it is a deadlift/olympic lift grip, and he is doing squats,,, i understand you are a paralysed guy on a wheelchair posting because you have attention seeking behavior.

what's your 3 lift total? my e-lifts are pretty high.

what is a hook grip?

Thanks for clearing up the hook grip for me, I was mistaken. I thought hookgrip was one word and it had something to do with hand jobs and prostitution.

Are you a troll or what?

He meant Chia's hook grip dl, which the last time I checked was 585lbs @183lb bw.

I don't understand how anyone with any lifting knowledge can come in here, see a man doing low-bar powerlifting sq, and tell him he's doing it wrong, then list form for a high-bar oly sq.

Got to be a troll.

No 2 is soooooo much better............

they look great. a couple of reps may have been slightly high but overall very good. keep it up.

Thank you and thank you:D

Second is much better. Olympic barbell, more weight, taking it out of the rack correctly, getting better depth. Only point I'd make is to begin the ascent with hip drive. Your hips move forward to start the drive upwards. Otherwise looking good and a marked improvement.

Hip drive is something I had none of in the first place so thanks for pointing out that I'm not quite there yet. Hopefully that'll be the key to allow me to move up in weight, because right now I'm pretty poor haha

I like that you contributed, but given the other voices in this thread including this:
Are you a troll or what?
He meant Chia's hook grip dl, which the last time I checked was 585lbs @183lb bw.
I don't understand how anyone with any lifting knowledge can come in here, see a man doing low-bar powerlifting sq, and tell him he's doing it wrong, then list form for a high-bar oly sq.
Got to be a troll.

...I'll choose to ignore your advice. But I will look into my grip because that's something I'm completely ignorant of.

In your second video, between seconds 15-16, I can see you pull up with your stomach, when you should be pulling up with your legs. I can fully judge your form, since I can't see your feet either, but my recommendation would be to make force with your legs, not your stomach, or back like in your first video.

Also, the heavier you go, the bigger you will get.

I'll make sure that doesn't happen - you and another poster pointed out that I might still have some issues with hip drive:mad:
That's the plan:icon_chee

I dont think vamshi was totally off the money. I dont see how Breedmonkey could see the bar position either, when TS bottoms you can kind of see his upper back it looks like a high bar position to me, with the bar above the spine of scapulae.

I dont think vamshi was totally off the money. I dont see how Breedmonkey could see the bar position either, when TS bottoms you can kind of see his upper back it looks like a high bar position to me, with the bar above the spine of scapulae.

I'll be honest and say this means nothing to me - do you have a link to somewhere I can get more info on that?

Back