Please clarify the Anderson Silva kick

A full knockout is considered any legal strike or combination thereof that renders an opponent unable to continue fighting.

KO and loss of conscioussnes are two different things and the second is a form of the first, not the other way around. For example saying a stoppage is early when the guy is not unconsciouss is complete BS and it is just some unnecessary punishment. Vitor couldn't continue fighting after the kick so...

KO or TKO - they are both technically "knock outs." I understand your confusion though

If it's a TKO where the guy's turtling up and getting GnP'd, like Silva vs Sonnen II, then it probably ain't making any "Greatest Knockouts" videos

But if it's a TKO like Anderson vs Vitor where the massive kick basically ends it and Anderson just has to walk over and throw a punch to make it official, I think it's eligible

Ben Alloway from the Aussie team on TUF Smashes did it at UFC on FX 6 recently if anyone missed it.

Alloway-Front-Kick-KO-GIF.gif

Both kicks trashed their opponents and left them in a heap on the octagon floor. Both kicks were "inspired by" Steven Seagal. What is there to clarify?

KO or TKO - they are both technically "knock outs." I understand your confusion though

If it's a TKO where the guy's turtling up and getting GnP'd, like Silva vs Sonnen II, then it probably ain't making any "Greatest Knockouts" videos

But if it's a TKO like Anderson vs Vitor where the massive kick basically ends it and Anderson just has to walk over and throw a punch to make it official, I think it's eligible

I like this answer.

TS - I understand your question and confusion with how the terms of KO and TKO are being utilized in their application, but it's definitely just being used on a fight by fight basis.

I think the biggest factor is "how out" an opponent is after the death blow, and how much "follow up" there is subsequently.

If only one single strike is an actuall KO, and everything else is (T)KO's we have yet too see a real knockout in the UFC.

I can't think of a single fight where ONE strike was thrown and the opponent was out cold, without follow up punches.

If you want to be technical about it, it was a leg kick, not the H-bomb wich knocked out Bisping that night on UFC 100, becasue it stopped him from moving out of harms way.

if you want to get anal about it and try to make really simple concept complicated you're just annoying really, there is nothing to gain from this argument really.

We all knock that that the front kick knocked vitor the fuck out.

1339397269117.gif

Now if this happened to vitor there would be no arguing.

Many people are calling this kick one of the best ko's in the UFC.
I do not see it this way as the kick itself did not knock out vitor belfort, the fight was not stopped immediately after the kick it was actually stopped after punches. Im not sure if vitor was completely unconscious either.

The same goes for Machidas kick on Randy, Randy never went unconscious and I'd personally call that a tko victory.
If people talk about great knockout strikes I class them as people loosing consciousness completely from a significant strike/strikes eg; cro cop v gonzaga, wand v rampage 2 & 3, machida v bader, hendo v bisping etc.

Anderson and Machida did amazing kicks although their kicks did not produce enough power to send their opponent unconscious on their own merit (although they were close)

I would like someone to clarify how they see knockouts and if they agree or disagree with me.

P.s I know I'll most likely get flamed

You will only get flamed because you are blatantly lying!

If anything, Randy's first question after they stopped the fight was "what happened?".
And you know fighters only ask that when they have no clue what happened.

he didn't even notice Machida broke his teeth in the process.
he thought he was caught by a punch (so much he didn't see the kick!)

As for Vitor, you are correct. Someone who is not KO'd trully fall like that as a defense against follow-up punches!:rolleyes:

You will only get flamed because you are blatantly lying!

If anything, Randy's first question after they stopped the fight was "what happened?".
And you know fighters only ask that when they have no clue what happened.

he didn't even notice Machida broke his teeth in the process.
he thought he was caught by a punch (so much he didn't see the kick!)

As for Vitor, you are correct. Someone who is not KO'd trully fall like that as a defense against follow-up punches!:rolleyes:

I like every one else's posts and it does pretty much clear my question although this one makes little sense.

So because randy didn't see the kick coming makes the kick a knockout....:redface:
I never knew reflexes were associated with consciousness.

And because vitor dropped he was automatically out?

Yea, Belfort was pretty awake after the kick... He was almost moving his arm to defend himself... Sorry, TS gave me a good laugh, no offense.

Maybe the kick didn't put him comptetely out but it sure didn't help

in '04 or so there was a debate "which slam was better, Rampage on Arona or Randleman on Fedor".

many thought Randleman on Fedor was better, even though clearly Rampage on Arona did more damage. others thought Rampage v Arona MUST be better, because the Randleplex slam didn't finish the fight.

sound familiar???

Silva v Vitor was a great kick, regardless of whether it, technically, ended the fight or not. just like the Pettis kick will always be legendary, even though it didn't finish the fight. and just like the Randleplex will always be remembered more than this:

cliffs notes: there is no spoon (or one answer)

Wasn't like vitor was gonna get right up and dust himself off. He was fucked after that kick

The kick led to the stoppage.

Sure, Vitor did look like he was set to pull guard but when Silva came up to him, it was clear he wasn't really there and the ref stepped in. That kick cause it even though it wasnt the last hit. No one would say Ruscow's last hammer fist to Duffee was the KO punch.

Also, yes. It was a "TKO", not a KO. Still had the same result.

296247.jpg

Back