Please clarify the Anderson Silva kick

What he is saying is TKOs and KOs really have a blurred line to them. Sometime a fighter doesnt go completely out but they still are checked out and not defending themselves, like in this case. So whats the problem with it being called a great knock out? The fight was ended by that means.

Because ppl could class any tko as a ko using that logic if u get me

I think you're reaching.

Yes, we know the difference between a KO and a TKO, but you will never see a "best TKO of the year", so they put everything together because no one gives a shit about it and you gain nothing by reaching the way you are.

So it's up to our discretion?
yes, within reason.

if you said something unreasonable like liddell/ortiz 2 was a knockout, then no one would take your opinion seriously, but if you want to call jds/mir a knockout, that would be fine
Dazed doesn't equal knocked out.
I guess I'm annoying a lot of people but I'm merely trying to get a straight forward black n white answer.

you're just being too literal as in "hey i saw his eyes move, he's not REALLY knocked out"

just dial in back a notch. It's NOT as black and white as "he's either sleeping or he's not"

just like in boxing they'll call an out cold a knockout, or they'll call when a guy is barely standing and the ref jumps in a knockout, or they'll call a 10-count a knockout.

the big hit + less than handful of punches is a knockout. No the guy wasn't out cold from one punch, but it's still a knockout

another way to look at is: Don't think about a single strike as being a knockout, think of the state of mind as being the knockout. Meaning if an opponent was put into that "what happened?" state of mind, then he was knocked out.

not really.

as long as people use good judgement and can tell the difference between when one big strike truly caused the end (even if there were a few follow ups) vs a barrage of strikes that caused the ref to step in like Silva/Sonnen 2

that's a pretty clear difference

Come on people, are we really debating what a TKO or a KO is?

KO can defined by the fighter being unconscious, but everybody is different and everybody will react differently, so it's really blurry.

TKO is mostly a stoppage, when the fighter can't defend himself properly (or X knockdowns in boxing/kickboxing).

Go by the definition, not by what Buffer tells you at the end of the fight.

But no one will make a "top 10 tko/stoppages of the year", that's why everything is put together, doesn't matter in the end.

Come on people, are we really debating what a TKO or a KO is?

KO can defined by the fighter being unconscious, but everybody is different and everybody will react differently, so it's really blurry.

TKO is mostly a stoppage, when the fighter can't defend himself properly (or 3 knockdowns in boxing).

Go by the definition, not by what Buffer tells you at the end of the fight.

i think part of what makes it confusing to some people is that when people look for "greatest knockouts" they're really looking for "one strike knockouts"

because if you watch lesnar/mir 2 or carwin/mir, Mir was definitely out cold in both of those fights. But the thing is people rarely consider knockouts that come as the result of a barrage of GNP knockouts, they consider them tko's.

As in "big strike finish = ko" while "lots of gnp finish = tko" regardless of whether or not the guy went out or not, which is why something like anderson/vitor is considered a ko despite vitor not going out from the kick, and why lesnar/mir 2 is considered a tko despite mir going out cold

A TKO is just a type of KO. Like I said, its when a fighter is conscious but not aware of whats going on. The ref steps in when both these occasions happens so its easy to bunch them together. The only time you really don't consider a stoppage much of a TKO is when a fighter covers up and does nothing offensive, forcing the ref to save them.

When people do a top KO list, they are often referring to TKO and KO's.

i think part of what makes it confusing to some people is that when people look for "greatest knockouts" they're really looking for "one strike knockouts"

because if you watch lesnar/mir 2 or carwin/mir, Mir was definitely out cold in both of those fights. But the thing is people rarely consider knockouts that come as the result of a barrage of GNP knockouts, they consider them tko's.

As in "big strike finish = ko" while "lots of gnp finish = tko" regardless of whether or not the guy went out or not, which is why something like anderson/vitor is considered a ko despite vitor not going out from the kick, and why lesnar/mir 2 is considered a tko despite mir going out cold

The problem with those also is they are based off of the ref's discretion. Technically should Henderson's KO on Bisping isn't a KO since he did those extra punches at the end? It just nonsense to dismiss good KO's or TKO's just based off of how many strikes it took for the ref to stop it when it was clear one strike finished it.

I guess you can say that about every first strike landed by anyone who eventually wins by KO/TKO. "That first punch started it all off, folks."

Read the rest of my posts. The kick dropped Vitor and though he did lay there as if he was ready to pull guard, when Silva came up, he didn't react at all and took two punches square to the face, which made the ref realize he wasn't really there after all and stopped the fight.

because who was throwing this kick before him?

anyways, steven segal should be getting the credit, not some mortal anderson silva.

By the way they loop that highlight over and over again, you would think that Anderson Silva never used GnP to actually finish the fight.

Did he really need to though? As he hovered over a dazed Vitor who was lying on his back, Vitor wasn't able to

1. grab a leg and pull guard
2. scoot away and try to get up
3.get up

So Anderson delivered a couple of punches, just enough until the ref raced in to put a stop to it.

I guess Anderson could have just stood there after Vitor fell on his ass and waited for him to get up on his jelly legs just to knock him down again......

Last edited:
The kick wasn't a KO from Silva. It was the defining strike that led to the stoppage, but I guess if you are being anal then you have a point.

This.

It's ridiculous to say that it has to be the final strike that qualifies for the "best KO" honours.

Look at the last punch Machida landed on Evans, it's not a huge haymaker, but he got a fantastic highlight reel KO from the flurries and combinations he was landing.

It's not always going to be a Hendo - Bisping moment

This.

It's ridiculous to say that it has to be the final strike that qualifies for the "best KO" honours.

Look at the last punch Machida landed on Evans, it's not a huge haymaker, but he got a fantastic highlight reel KO from the flurries and combinations he was landing.

It's not always going to be a Hendo - Bisping moment

Actually Hendo Bisping is a good example because the punch when they were standing Knocked him out and the ensuing punches were just added before the ref stepped in. Its clear the KO punch was the one that dropped him. As Henderson said postgfight, the ones after were just to shut him up :icon_lol:

Most people agree with you but it will be the fact that Silva did it first when it hadn't been seen before at that high of a level, especially a title fight.

Silva's kick was good but Machida's IMO was better, it was a very pretty flying front kick and something out of the Karate Kid.

I tip my hat off too Machida for pulling that off.

Sometimes a KO doesnt mean the person has to look like a dead man laying with no motion

Here Glen Johnson KO's Roy Jones,Roy's body was still kinda moving,but it's clear he's done

You don't have to go all Matua for it to count as a KO, Fitch was out for a second after Hendricks threw that brick in his face, but it sure as hell was a KO.

i put this over anderson's ko anyday

barbosa-etim0e1q2.gif

Ask Vitor if he remembers the period of time between the front kick and the ground punches.

Back