Please clarify the Anderson Silva kick

honzo

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Many people are calling this kick one of the best ko's in the UFC.
I do not see it this way as the kick itself did not knock out vitor belfort, the fight was not stopped immediately after the kick it was actually stopped after punches. Im not sure if vitor was completely unconscious either.

The same goes for Machidas kick on Randy, Randy never went unconscious and I'd personally call that a tko victory.
If people talk about great knockout strikes I class them as people loosing consciousness completely from a significant strike/strikes eg; cro cop v gonzaga, wand v rampage 2 & 3, machida v bader, hendo v bisping etc.

Anderson and Machida did amazing kicks although their kicks did not produce enough power to send their opponent unconscious on their own merit (although they were close)

I would like someone to clarify how they see knockouts and if they agree or disagree with me.

P.s I know I'll most likely get flamed

..... I really didn't realise.
IV been writing this post for a while because I'm on my phone, sorry lol

..... I really didn't realise.
IV been writing this post for a while because I'm on my phone, sorry lol

but yes anderson did not ko vitor with the kick but i believe machida finished randy with his

Many people are calling this kick one of the best ko's in the UFC.
I do not see it this way as the kick itself did not knock out vitor belfort, the fight was not stopped immediately after the kick it was actually stopped after punches. Im not sure if vitor was completely unconscious either.

The same goes for Machidas kick on Randy, Randy never went unconscious and I'd personally call that a tko victory.
If people talk about great knockout strikes I class them as people loosing consciousness completely from a significant strike/strikes eg; cro cop v gonzaga, wand v rampage 2 & 3, machida v bader, hendo v bisping etc.

Anderson and Machida did amazing kicks although their kicks did not produce enough power to send their opponent unconscious on their own merit (although they were close)

I would like someone to clarify how they see knockouts and if they agree or disagree with me.

P.s I know I'll most likely get flamed

Anderson Kicks Vitor......Vitor drops straight down like a sack of potatoes....Anderson starts punching a KO'd Vitor who is starting to wake up.

KO's can be seconds, or they can be minutes, either one is saying that you are in never never land.

Vitor was knocked out.

Period.

Anderson Kicks Vitor......Vitor drops straight down like a sack of potatoes....Anderson starts punching a KO'd Vitor who is starting to wake up.

KO's can be seconds, or they can be minutes, either one is saying that you are in never never land.

Vitor was knocked out.

Period.

just not from the kick...

Vitor was knocked out.

Period.

His legs were still up, he was conscious.
Being on queer street isn't being ko'd.
Look at Kongo v Barry

The kick wasn't a KO from Silva. It was the defining strike that led to the stoppage, but I guess if you are being anal then you have a point.

The kick led to the stoppage.

Sure, Vitor did look like he was set to pull guard but when Silva came up to him, it was clear he wasn't really there and the ref stepped in. That kick cause it even though it wasnt the last hit. No one would say Ruscow's last hammer fist to Duffee was the KO punch.

Also, yes. It was a "TKO", not a KO. Still had the same result.

By the way they loop that highlight over and over again, you would think that Anderson Silva never used GnP to actually finish the fight.

By the way they loop that highlight over and over again, you would think that Anderson Silva never used GnP to actually finish the fight.

Thats cause Vitor was checked out when he fell to the ground. Silva just walked over, held one of his feet and punched Vitor twice in the face without him covering up.

the fact that the person barely had to do any followup to finish the fight makes it count as a knockout in most people's minds, but TECHNICALLY it's probably considered a tko on the record

but since "greatest knockout" videos don't necessarily go by the record, it's perfectly fine to put tko's on there, since tko does mean "technical" knockout, it's still a knockout :)

A more true version of a tko is like... cain/lesnar, where even though lesnar was dropped with a good combination, he had to gnp for like 2 minutes straight to finally get a stoppage.

If it goes BIG STRIKE+1-5 small punches, it's fair to call it a knockout

in the case of anderson/vitor, the punches were pretty much a formality.

Machida's kick was better.

Most people agree with you but it will be the fact that Silva did it first when it hadn't been seen before at that high of a level, especially a title fight.

the fact that the person barely had to do any followup to finish the fight makes it count as a knockout in most people's minds, but TECHNICALLY it's probably considered a tko on the record

but since "greatest knockout" videos don't necessarily go by the record, it's perfectly fine to put tko's on there, since tko does mean "technical" knockout, it's still a knockout :)

A more true version of a tko is like... cain/lesnar, where even though lesnar was dropped with a good combination, he had to gnp for like 2 minutes straight to finally get a stoppage.

If it goes BIG STRIKE+1-5 small punches, it's fair to call it a knockout

in the case of anderson/vitor, the punches were pretty much a formality.

So it's up to our discretion?

No Vitor was out even without the punches the ref would have stopped the fight same goes with Couture. Both were laying there dazed.

normal muay thai frontkick to the face. nothing special about it, it was just surprising in that match.

So it's up to our discretion?

What he is saying is TKOs and KOs really have a blurred line to them. Sometime a fighter doesnt go completely out but they still are checked out and not defending themselves, like in this case. So whats the problem with it being called a great knock out? The fight was ended by that means.

No Vitor was out even without the punches the ref would have stopped the fight same goes with Couture. Both were laying there dazed.

Dazed doesn't equal knocked out.
I guess I'm annoying a lot of people but I'm merely trying to get a straight forward black n white answer.

Back