Playing it safe or going hard for the sub...

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Hellboy31, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Hellboy31

Hellboy31 Brown Belt

Hypothetical question for you guys...

You're competing and your up on points by a considerable large margin.... You mount the guy and feel very stable on top of him... He's moving but not really threatening your balance at all... The time is starting to run out, maybe a minute or a minute and a half left. Do you still go aggressively for the sub or do you play a conservative game and keep the position until the time runs out?

2. clrscrn

clrscrn Orange Belt

LnP troll?

3. Solidus Snake

Solidus Snake Purple Belt

I would probably play conservative.

4. guilineseguy

guilineseguy Black Belt

Depends on wheather you can get the sub or not. I would try to force anything or overcommit. But if the opportunity presents itself,take it home with you.

5. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

I would go for the cross-collar choke or armbar. If he reverses me back into guard who cares? I'm up on points and the time is going to run out, I will win anyway. But I won't go for the sub so hard that I burn out my arm strength for my next match.

6. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

I agree. Don't kill your grip.

7. boboplata***

boboplata*** Banned Banned

i go for de submish if itch hardj for heee.

8. ProdigyOfZen

ProdigyOfZen Orange Belt

Funny you ask becuase this exact same situation happened with me in the last tourny during my first match.

I got to mount on the guy and was up 6-0 on points. I wasn't sure how much time was left and since it was the first match i really was trying to conserve energy ( i always seem to have an adrenaline dump) but I had the itch to really get a submission. I dislike winning by points.

So i went for the mounted triangle choke. I reached with my left hand behind the head while grabbing his left arm with my right arm and sliding it under my right leg. Lifted my right leg behind the head but I didn't stay tight enough and he was able to get out the back door.

The match ended with me holding him in butterfly guard. Turns out when i started the submission only 1 min left and i ended up winning 6-0.

I say go for the submission especially who so little time left.

9. Bruce Calavera

Bruce Calavera Purple Belt

Go for the kill intelligently not all kamikaze. The points are only there in case you don't finish. Not the other way around.

10. Half Amazing

Half Amazing Blue Belt

I always go hard for the sub, whether I'm winning or losing. I've lost matches because of this though, but I have no interest in laying on a guy for 5+ minutes and waiting for the time to expire.

11. Hellboy31

Hellboy31 Brown Belt

Mainly I ask because I had a match the other day where this came up. I was ahead by a pass, a mount, and a back take... I knew there was only a little amount of time and didn't really feel like the sub was completely better. I ended up winning but was kind of disapointed with myself for really going for the finish... I could have definitely been more aggressive but I was a bit tired and knew I was on route to a victory.

I've heard guys like Andre Galvao say they always look for the sub and that's how they score points... I like this attitude and would prefer to compete that way in the future. It just kind of weirded me out that I had been more satisfied with myself after losses than I was with that win. I guess in the end it's all a balance.. Going for the sub but not being so reckless you keep getting reversed. Anyway, thanks for all the input so far.

12. Stun Gun

Stun Gun Green Belt

13. Steeltwo

Steeltwo Green Belt

I'd go for low risk subs at that point.

Tend to work ezikel's if I want to stay in control. Or I like to fake and hold them down with a keylock, even though I know it won't be enough to tap them with.

14. mweaver123

mweaver123 Yellow Belt

15. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

If I'm up by so many points where he can't realistically cover the ground in the time left, I'm going to try to finish.

If he can capitalize on a potential mistake during my sub attempt and win on points, I have a decision to make: I've never had to deal with option 2.

1. If it's at a local tourney, I usually go for the finish. Why not? It's not a big deal if I lose. If it's my first match, I might hang on just to get my money's worth by having a few fights during the day, but I'm usually always going to try to finish, if I'm up or down on points. It's not the smartest strategy if you want to always win, but right now I'm not a super serious competitor and I already know how to play for points, but I'm deciding not to. That may very well change sometime.

2. If I'm in the Worlds or ADCC, I dunno man. That's a BIG win, so I would probably hang on and play it safe. Who knows though? I;ve never been there, and likely never will.

16. Auspex

Auspex Brown Belt

go for the sub but don't murder yourself in the process.

1 min is still plenty of time to get caught. Play the same game that got you ahead in the first place.