Platinum Mike Perry responds to trolls

do you have a specific technique for cutting around hair that's different to cutting around the body? I've tried increasing the feather when I'm cutting around it but with mixed success.

Photoshop has a "quick select" tool. If you have black hair on a dark background (or light on light etc) it doesn't work well if at all. A trick to increase the contrast is to use "Channels" set to R, G, or B. You can also see that most of the noise is in the Blue Channel. Not sure, but I think I used the B, and R, for the selection of the hair.

rgb-jpg.180253

This tutorial in spoiler shows how it works, but of course with most tutorials they us a "best case scenario". However, brother J, this technique may leave some junk on either a black, grey, or white background. See the Ronda cut out gif in spoiler.

ronda-cutout-gif.180257

Attachments

• ronda-cutout.gif
    ronda-cutout.gif
    86.3 KB · Views: 4
  • rgb.jpg
    rgb.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 32
  • ronda-cutout.gif
    ronda-cutout.gif
    86.3 KB · Views: 32
Photoshop has a "quick select" tool. If you have black hair on a dark background (or light on light etc) it doesn't work well if at all. A trick to increase the contrast is to use "Channels" set to R, G, or B. You can also see that most of the noise is in the Blue Channel. Not sure, but I think I used the B, and R, for the selection of the hair.

rgb-jpg.180253

This tutorial in spoiler shows how it works, but of course with most tutorials they us a "best case scenario". However, brother J, this technique may leave some junk on either a black, grey, or white background. See the Ronda cut out gif in spoiler.

ronda-cutout-gif.180257

oh wow well this is interesting. I've never used channels in this way!

I will watch the video shortly, but I'm guessing quick select uses a similar system to the edge finding tools, in regards to light on light, dark on dark etc.

the junk left over, it's not usually an issue when it's in the shoop though right? once it's that "thin" it usually looks natural in my experience. the areas that usually cause me issues are neck skin in the beard, the corner where the lower part of the ear connects to the head, and limbs in general :)

oh wow well this is interesting. I've never used channels in this way!

I will watch the video shortly, but I'm guessing quick select uses a similar system to the edge finding tools, in regards to light on light, dark on dark etc.

the junk left over, it's not usually an issue when it's in the shoop though right? once it's that "thin" it usually looks natural in my experience. the areas that usually cause me issues are neck skin in the beard, the corner where the lower part of the ear connects to the head, and limbs in general :)

It can be an issue depending on the color and tone of w/e the background may be. There are things you can do to get rid of it. You may want to select and feather the affected areas. You can then color correct or light correct as needed. In this example below I used the "Dodge" tool which lightens things up. It's a brush that you can set to Dodge the highlights, mids or shadows. I didn't use a selection, but I used the Dodge brush to lighten the shadows. In some of the hair, just above her "bun" on the left, I could have used the "Burn" tool to darken those highlights. This was a fast job just to show you what can be done to correct things.

Yea the neck/beard area is always a challenge. At times I use hair "brushes" to paint in hair or "smudge" in some beard hairs. If you want to get technical, you can vary the size of the smudge brush as you pull out to mimic the taper.

Edit: In Platinum's red Channel, you can see how it would come in handy to select the beard. With someone like Conor, who had a red beard, it might not work out so well as there isn't as much contrast. Also someone like Jones who has dark skin and a dark beard.

ronda-ko-grey-gif.180269

Attachments

• ronda-ko-grey.gif
    ronda-ko-grey.gif
    78.4 KB · Views: 29
Back