Plateau's

Trickster***

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am hitting a MAJOR plateau right now and I know it's just something that you need to push through but Im curious:

How long did yours last?
How long did it take you to push thru it?
Did you do anything in particular to help you get thru it; changed training partners? Tried different drills?

HELP! This sucks!

I hit a plateau for about 6months. My advice would be to begin working positions that you need to improve upon. For example, if your half guard sucks, pull half guard all the time.

I feel i'm still in a plateau and have been in one for 6 months or more. I'm working new positions and working my weaknesses, but even when they are getting a lil better I'm still not feeling that I've broken through.

I hit a plateau for about 6months. My advice would be to begin working positions that you need to improve upon. For example, if your half guard sucks, pull half guard all the time.

OK I will try that. I have a decent guard so people have been sitting in their guards which is forcing me to work my top game. I didn't think about that helping me with the plateau but I hope it works, thanks!

Yours lasted 6 months? Let me ask you a question. When you finally pushed thru the plateau did you make a major jump in skill or did you just start to slowly progress again? Im hoping once I push thru that I make a dramatic leap to make up for all the time Ive been dragging ass! :icon_chee

OK I will try that. I have a decent guard so people have been sitting in their guards which is forcing me to work my top game. I didn't think about that helping me with the plateau but I hope it works, thanks!

Yours lasted 6 months? Let me ask you a question. When you finally pushed thru the plateau did you make a major jump in skill or did you just start to slowly progress again? Im hoping once I push thru that I make a dramatic leap to make up for all the time Ive been dragging ass! :icon_chee

I wouldn't say I made a major or jump, but I definetely improved. I think the length of plateaus and the improvements you make to your game after breaking them has a lot to do with how long you've been training in general. People that have been training for a long period of time tend to have longer plateaus with more moderate improvements opposed to those that haven't been training too long.

I wouldn't say I made a major or jump, but I definetely improved. I think the length of plateaus and the improvements you make to your game after breaking them has a lot to do with how long you've been training in general. People that have been training for a long period of time tend to have longer plateaus with more moderate improvements opposed to those that haven't been training too long.

I appreciate your insight brother! I feel more relaxed now, it was really pissing me off. I have been training 5 days a week and not getting better....that shit can get frustrating!

i'm in the same place. I feel like i'm in a plateau, although i might be comming out of it. I've been moving a lot better these past few weeks but i still feel i need dramatic improvment in almost every area

i'm in the same place. I feel like i'm in a plateau, although i might be comming out of it. I've been moving a lot better these past few weeks but i still feel i need dramatic improvment in almost every area

I just feel like I am rolling without thinking! I feel like there are things I should take advantage of, or techniques Ive learned but Im not putting into practice. Im rolling with a major brain fart lately!

Good luck coming out of yours!

I just feel like I am rolling without thinking! I feel like there are things I should take advantage of, or techniques Ive learned but Im not putting into practice. Im rolling with a major brain fart lately!

Good luck coming out of yours!

After i went to the mundials on thursday i got to thinking about my whole jiu jitsu training experience. I watched a marcelo video that night and he talked about how he never takes it out of 2nd gear while training, that he lets his partners escape subs and move into different positions just so he can see how they move.

On friday i talked to my teacher about this, and he agreed. He's been saying from day one. "You guys need to slow it down, put it in 1st gear and use technique you know"

I used this approach in friday's class. I spoke with a sparing partner and he agreed to not take it out of 1st gear, 20-30% energy. I had one of the greatest rolls i've had in months. We both subbed each other, but they were very clean, perfectly applied submissions.

I feel that slowing your game down, truely understanding ahead what your going to do is one of the only ways to improve your game. If I'm going balls to the wall and out mussle everything how am I suppose to learn?

After i went to the mundials on thursday i got to thinking about my whole jiu jitsu training experience. I watched a marcelo video that night and he talked about how he never takes it out of 2nd gear while training, that he lets his partners escape subs and move into different positions just so he can see how they move.

On friday i talked to my teacher about this, and he agreed. He's been saying from day one. "You guys need to slow it down, put it in 1st gear and use technique you know"

I used this approach in friday's class. I spoke with a sparing partner and he agreed to not take it out of 1st gear, 20-30% energy. I had one of the greatest rolls i've had in months. We both subbed each other, but they were very clean, perfectly applied submissions.

I feel that slowing your game down, truely understanding ahead what your going to do is one of the only ways to improve your game. If I'm going balls to the wall and out mussle everything how am I suppose to learn?

Ahhhh dude I wish I could roll with you! I feel like I have a target on my back when I roll at my school. Everyone goes so hard, its hard getting people to slow down and allow themselves to get tapped. Ive been tapped by a 130lb kid bc I tried something and he got my back, then I tried something else and he finished the choke....but who the fuck cares??

Apparently he did bc by the end of class in the locker room people were saying "I heard so and so tapped you out" I was like OMG give me a break! lol

The key is to keep training and work through the problems that you having.

if you train 3 times a week or more taking time off would probably be the answer. If you don't train 3 times a week or more then train harder.

Get really specific in your goals. Plateaus are often artifical in the sense that you are progressing but over all it seems like you are not. Rather than improving, work on improving one postion as ChrisH mentioned or even one technique from one position. Make it something simple like breaking posture or what ever would be " simple" thing you need work on. For example, from my recent experience focusing on half guard I followed the following steps:
Get lockdown
Get underhooks
Get to side
Get old school sweep
Get deep half guard sweep/Electric chair
Get to knees/ driving sweep
Get back

There is 7 goals that could be achieved (to a certain degree) in a few classes each. Each step was small by itself but together it formed a pretty good half guard game especially at my level. Each step provided a clear sense of moving forward. It helps get rid of the feeling that you are going now where and reminds you that are, in fact, improving incrementally.

Back