Plantar fasciitis from lifting?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by GeekGoneBad, Jul 25, 2010.

1. GeekGoneBad

GeekGoneBad White Belt

It's been really hot here lately so I haven't run much at all for the last few weeks but I've been lifting 2-3 times a week, and somehow I've developed what I'm pretty sure is plantar fasciitis in my left foot. (Burning pain in the arch of the foot, between the heel and big toe). My flexibility is reasonably good, I always lift in chucks/barefoot, and I've never had problems with this in 12 years of lifting (albeit the technique of only the last few being what I'd now call decent), so I'm not sure how it happened.

Anyways, most of the advice out there says "weight training is a great choice when recovering from PF - just don't put any weight on your feet". To me, that totally sucks as the bedrock of my routine are squats and deadlifts. I'm using a frozen bottle of water to "foam roll" the arch once/twice a day, and I've bought some ibuprofen gel to apply after that. Has anyone on this forum had a similar problem, and any idea how long I'm going to be stuck doing leg extensions as a substitute for squats?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

2. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

What kind of shoes do you wear the rest of the day (when you're not lifting)? How old are they?

I was having some issues with plantar fasciitis, or at least the symtoms fit, and getting a new pair of shoes helped. Although it probably didn't hurt that I was buying a particular shoe the was recommended to me by a sports medicine doctor. (Brooks addiction walking shoes, by the way). And it's getting better, and the only modification I've made to my training is not running quite as often.

3. sambam

sambam Blue Belt

i had it for a few months and it went through both feet. dont wanna give you bad advice but i sort of worked through it. i mean i had to stop running and heavy squats and deads but for the most part i was able to keep up my training. get some good insoles they work. when you not training try to go barefoot as much as possible when resting it.

Snowfist likes this.
  4. superking

superking Poet — Traveler — Soldier of Fortune

PF is not just a problem with your foot. It's also a problem with tight calves and hamstrings. Don't roll just the problem area, but your entire leg and lower back. In fact, roll your whole body out. You can use a variety of things: a foam roller, tennis balls, PVC piping, etc. Just start with something that's less dense, because it'll hurt at first.

Eventually the PF will subside and you'll feel waaaay better.

MisterHappy and SMillard like this.
  5. wildman1717

wildman1717 Green Belt

Get some shoes with inserts and don't go bare footed. I had to have my PF worked on and had to have it operated on. Ice it everyday and like the guy above said stretch the calfs good and take nsaids.

6. Indivdude

Indivdude Blue Belt

With all the barefoot enthusiasts, I would think more would be jumping in here to say barefoot running/walking would be better than finding a better shoe.

7. superking

superking Poet — Traveler — Soldier of Fortune

Lifting barefoot helped mine feel better while I was lifting. New shoes helped it feel better both when I wasn't lifting and when I started wearing the new ones to lift. Self-Myofascial Release of my whole body, but focusing on my calves and hamstrings, made it go away completely.

8. GeekGoneBad

GeekGoneBad White Belt

Thanks guys. People like you make this forum great.

9. GeekGoneBad

GeekGoneBad White Belt

Oh, and to answer the questions I was asked - My work shoes (for the office) are old but I don't travel much distance on them, just being sat on my ass all day, so they're not in bad condition. I'll look out for some inserts nonetheless.