Planet Fitness Screwed Me

Something similar happened to me. I was working out at some hole in the wall mom and pop gym and Gold's bought it out. They banned chalk and got rid of the only 2 bumper plates in the whole gym. I asked to be let out of my contract since chalk was aloud (there was a chalk stand there) when I signed. The manager told me chalk was always banned and they just weren't enforcing it before (obvious bullshit since they had fuckin chalk stands there for months with chalk in them). Me and my friend just smuggle chalk in now on pull days and wipe the bar off when we're done. The worst that happens is they throw us out and we get out of our contract.

page change

I lifted at a gym in Virgina Beach and there was a guy in there--he went by "Red" and chalk was banned ( use Rosin, works better than chalk and is virtually colorless) but Red would keep his gymback nearby and he had a tupperware container of chalk and then he had one or two new bricks of chalk with a large computer generated label that said NAACP and then it listed their national address, which I think is in Baltimore and once the manager came over and was raising heck with him about using the chalk, Red takes out the fresh brick of chalk and says "I got this chalk for donating to the NAACP, then he would get real loud and say "YOU GOT SOMETHING AGAINST THE NAACP, YOU DONT WANT COLORED PEOPLE IN HERE" that sort of thing and the manger could not run away fast enough, I thought it was funny so I bought a brick of chalk and did the same thing, but nobody ever confronted me on it so I never got to use that line

Find the managers house and toss a couple fish into his roof gutters. Then kick his scrotum.

I belonged to Planet Fitness, mostly because they were open 24 hrs and I worked a crazy schedule. They removed the power rack and then told me I couldn't clean the weight from the floor for sohp. I demanded my money back and they gave it to me, minus 2 months (3 days into my second month at the time)

lmao those idea's are golden Keith I'm going to have to remember some of them.

It is not that much money, how much time are you willing to put in and how hard are you willing to work for $100? That manager gets paid to sit there and throw up roadblocks.

Anyway, that sucks. Your gym has managed to combine crappy customer service with an awful product. They will probably become the hottest place in town.

When you already owe 30k in school loans and are trying to scrap together another 10k for the upcoming semester a $100 means a lot. Besides, it is the principle of the matter.

piece of crap gym

planet fitness bought out the legit gym in my town too, they got rid of all the bench presses and squat racks,, they had a couple of smith machines and thats it, some free weights but it was such a crappy gym

they even got rid of the weight scales in the bathroom, they answer they gave me when i asked why was that that wasnt the 'image' they were goin for

what a bunch of idiots

Years ago, I was renting a house and using a realtor/rental agency that also sold residential homes. I mentioned to the owner that I was looking to buy in the upcoming months and she eagerly said, I will find you a house. Every time I called or dropped off the rent, I would ask her how the search was coming and she would always say, Oh, I really need to get on that, etc, etc. hey no big deal if she was busy. I met another realtor who found me a house that I wanted and I bought it and I went to her office to drop off the last rent check and also to give notice and she got all pissy about why I had not bought a house from her ( it has been 3-4 months) and she refused to give me my security deposit back even though the house was in near perfect condition--she made up some other excuse for not refunding it. It was only 250 or so, but as was said, earlier, it is the principle of the thing. I looked up all of her rental/for sale listings and found properties that were as far away as possible from her office, some were like 75 miles away and I would call and tell them that I liked such and so property and that I was very anxious to do business--I would make appointments with them at odd hours, weekends, early in the am, late a night,,etc, and of course would never show up. I had friends of mine call and do the same thing and I had the 3 agents in the office running ragged, we would call and they would say, "are you sure your going to be there" and we would say yes, and that we would bring a cashiers check, etc, etc. Then I would steal the companies for sale or for rent signs from their properties and in the middle of the night would put them on the lawns of wealthy people in the city.

I called her about two weeks into this campaign and she wearily answered the phone, I said, this is Keith W.......have you had enough?.....she paused and I said, I expect a full refund check in the mail within the next 4 days....and it came like the next day

Fucking sigworthy.

I just looked over the Planet Fitness website. Insane.

And does anybody really think that prohibiting overt signs of hard work is going to make their members completely nonjudgmental?

Maybe somebody oughta launch Planet Get Over It, wherein members are encouraged to focus on improving themselves and realizing that grunting is not per se an attack on anyone else's worth as a human being.

This is just like back in the 80s when quote-unquote "heavy m e t a l" got co-opted by lame-ass hair bands that pandered to people who didn't like fast, hard music. Of course, you know what happened then....

I honestlly was shocked when he asked that. I stammered and was like

Manager: So whats your reason for leaving?

Me: First off, I never said I was canceling my membership. I had some questions as to what equipment you would be replacing.

Manager: What equipment? We have everything.

Me: A power rack. Perhaps a bench would be nice.

Manager: (cuts me off) How often do you use this power rack? Tell me, what is a power rack?

Me: I begin to explain that I use it when squatting one day a week.

Manager: (Cuts me off again) Well, thats stupid, I can't go to corporate and tell them that this guy wants his money back because he uses a power rack one day a week. He again tells me "I signed a contract"

Me: I explain to him that I signed a contract that works both ways. I signed under a certain impression of the gym and that this gym fails to fit my needs.

We continue to go back and forth. Quite frankly I was about ready to knock this guys ass out. I finally get him to give me a form to file for a refund which was supposedly mailed out Saturday.

I was told I may not get my full $100 back. WTF! I was a member for four days.

I looked on their website to call corporate but they do not list their numbers. I searched yellowpages and google but only found lists of similar complaints. I tried call 411 and several other locations. They all told me that they didnt have the number. Finally, I convinced some employee at another location to look for the number on a letterhead or something.

Called corporate and left a message. They have yet to return it.

Any advice is welcome.

Sue them in small claims court. I'll gladly help you write your complaint. There are other several lawyers on the board here that will help you stick it up PF's ass.

If you have any questions, send me a PM.

Edit: The first thing you need to do is send a letter to the manager of PF summarizing your complaint and requesting your membership to be terminated. This letter needs to be CC to PF corp and the the Better Business Bureau in your state. This letter needs to be send certified mail with return receipt requested (this is for your record and to show to the judge). In the letter, tell them that have have 30 days to give you a refund or you will sue them. PM me with any questions.

Thanks for the advice so far. I'm giving corporate two days to respond to my messages and return my calls. If they do not do so or fail to return my full investment I will begin enacting some of Keith's ideas. Every radio station, tv station, and newspaper in the entire New England region will hear my story.

If all else fails I will find myself someone to loan me money. Then I will fly any willing S&P'er out to MA. We will form a small but formidable militia, ransacking every planet fitness on the east coast. Hurling plates, swinging sledges, etc.

I have a co-worker who's acquainted with a couple of Wall Street Journal writers. I'll suggest to him that he pass along a tip about this business practice -- buying out gyms and then imposing new policies and telling customers that they're out of luck. It might pique their interest.

A WSJ article wouldn't bring back the power rack but it might provide a measure of satisfaction.

As a testament to their health philosophies almost all planet fitness locations have a gargantuan container of tootsie rolls at the front desk.

Admittedly, I haven't read the Diet and Supplement forum FAQ in awhile but i'm pretty sure that there is no reference to tootsie rolls post workout.

As a testament to their health philosophies almost all planet fitness locations have a gargantuan container of tootsie rolls at the front desk.

Admittedly, I haven't read the Diet and Supplement forum FAQ in awhile but i'm pretty sure that there is no reference to tootsie rolls post workout.

Actually that is the first good thing I have heard about Planet Phallus,

lol I've never seen a Planet Fitness on the west coast and I hope they don't ever come near me.

Back