Economy Pizza company and Coffee shop that used robots to prepare / serve are closing down

Just an observation here without any particular political angle - both of these business apparently attempted to used robotics as a positive feature or hook for customers rather than for the sake of efficiency. A more efficient (and economical) pizza making robot wouldn’t be a six axis arm - which looks vaguely anthropomorphic and is, presumably, interesting to customers - but would resemble a boring assembly line with automated stations. One of the most successful fully robotic (and boring looking) businesses is Red Box dvd vending machines.

There are a number of very successful restaurants that use robots extensively. There are even pizza vending machines that make custom pizzas. The other is pizzas are very very high profit margin businesses. What it sounds like to me this was a poorly planned an executed business.

Here is an example of a well run business. Update for whatever reason they are making changes at there location.

https://www.spyce.com/

Last edited:
Humans are social herd animals. Even with automation and the increasing disconnect of the online and mobile life there is a finite limit on how much interpersonal isolation most individuals are willing to acclimate to.

Most people don't even consciously understand how much something simple like the interaction experienced in a customer service scenario fulfills that psychological need to engage with another human.
I think we can feel the malaise of our social alienation in general but we're often not conscious of it in the day to day, minute to minute interactions, or lack thereof, that facilitate that alienation. But a shop like this, which is trying to sell itself on the basis of this automation, just confronts us with that reality in a direct way that was probably off putting to customers.

Its like the kind of shop you see in a dystopian movie that to us is uncanny but to the characters is normal.

as long as the robot bartender at planet hollywood is still plying his trade, we good

An awful lot of food businesses fail.

Pretty small sample size to be drawing conclusions from

If a robot ever takes my job I’ll kill his whole robot family

giphy.gif

I never understood going and getting coffee, treating it as a social meet. Id say i can do 3...maybe 4 coffees before im getting jittery and have atomic diarrhea. Plus, you gotta drink em fast otherwise they get cold...so, what the fuck?
Yeah I never understood some people drinking their gigantic coffee all day long. It's fucking gross.

ac7d9532793904a3d983108182097637.jpg

To stay on topic: GOOD!!! There's no need to have robots making our pizza ffs

I think we can feel the malaise of our social alienation in general but we're often not conscious of it in the day to day, minute to minute interactions, or lack thereof, that facilitate that alienation. But a shop like this, which is trying to sell itself on the basis of this automation, just confronts us with that reality in a direct way that was probably off putting to customers.

Its like the kind of shop you see in a dystopian movie that to us is uncanny but to the characters is normal.
I think the automated format is appropriate for those services purposely designed for the "on the go" customer where the idea is securing the good or service and being on your way. To that end, simply don't provide tables and chairs that encourage one to linger.

Its a shame that the "breaking of bread" between families and friends is increasingly a "planned" event or mere afterthought when it used to be the norm.

Yeah I never understood some people drinking their gigantic coffee all day long. It's fucking gross.

ac7d9532793904a3d983108182097637.jpg

To stay on topic: GOOD!!! There's no need to have robots making our pizza ffs
They only drink like a 1/4 of it too. I see those Dunkin's Donuts cups all over the place at work, always left about 3/4 full.

Good idea wrong business

Robot sex dolls, not robot baristas

robot bikini baristas
web1_170413-edh-Sexpresso4editYTSR.jpg

I never understood going and getting coffee, treating it as a social meet. Id say i can do 3...maybe 4 coffees before im getting jittery and have atomic diarrhea. Plus, you gotta drink em fast otherwise they get cold...so, what the fuck?

WTF are you talking about? You sit and talk while DRINKING the coffee...they have bathrooms as well....plus you can get work done there and get an unlimited supply of coffee and free wifi and maybe flirt with baristas you think should be out of high school...

Not much different to the vending machine restaurants in Japan, no surprise they have limited appeal.

Not exactly a new idea, this one's "retro".

Makes sense. I've recently started thinking the job takeover thing was way overblown.

It's like if Uber used machine-operated cars. Most people, I think, would rather have a human driver because if there was an accident, you're the only human in the car. Same with robotic eating places. It's just weird.

cover1.jpg

My grandad hated automatic tellers at banks, he wanted to talk with toots behind the window.

Sounds like this pace found a way to replicate that feeling in the entire population. Talk about derpy branding.

Hooters franchise with robot servers.

I should pitch this idea to Hooters corporate, what do you all think?

My grandad hated automatic tellers at banks, he wanted to talk with toots behind the window.

My grandpa also spoke the language of flatulence. It's becoming a lost art.

The whole idea of robot cafe shops reminds me of an anime called "Time of Eve" about an illegal secret coffee shop that hosts robots and treats them like humans.

Back