Pivotal Moments: Dillashaw vs Barao pt 2 ( technique breakdown)

handfighting_medium.png

GIF

This is why I like switching stances. It is almost impossible to cut angles like that without switching to reposition yourself.

This is why I like switching stances. It is almost impossible to cut angles like that without switching to reposition yourself.

EDIT: didn't realize there was a discussion on stance switching happening, just finished reading the other posts. I personally think that if you want to be a stance switcher its best to either learn both equally or only ever use them in combinations and quickly switch back to your original stance. Don't be one of those guys who learns a stance well and half-asses the other one. This is because every time you switch to your half asses stance you are pretty much making yourself weaker while not facilitating the advantages of the opposite stance (because you suck at it).

I myself started training in a traditional art so I was thought to have both equally. First few months I was biased towards orthodox but after one particular sparring session I dedicated myself to learning both stances equally. I went into wrestling as well after a while of training and in grappling being able to switch is really useful and most people do it without making a fuss (kicking arts also more often seem to be tolerant towards stance switching than boxing). I do both stances equally. It honestly isn't as hard as some people make it out to be and it makes you A LOT more ambidextrous and you end up having power and speed in both hands. Though I am left footed and right handed so that might have made it a little easier. And obviously I am not a pro and have never even competed (yet).

One thing that I found difficult was not constantly having my weight on my dominant foot. My weight was always on my front foot in orthodox and back foot in southpaw. That was one of the issues that took a lot longer to fix. Though something I have thought about often is what if I never switched stances and started my training from the very beginning constantly as a southpaw or orthodox. How much better would my single stance be than my current double stances.

I honestly reckon it wouldn't be much better because at first it is hard to learn the opposite same move in the other stance. But once you do everything in both stances for a while you quickly start picking up new things much more easily in the opposite stance. At some point when you do something in one stance you can almost immidiately repeat it in the opposite stance. I regularly do a combo in one stance and then do it again in the other when I shadowbox. Your brain is flexible and becomes used to it quickly (this is why I think the earlier you start stance switching in your training the more you will probably pick it up).

Once you have started making both stances at about a similar level you can start experimenting with the more advanced stuff like combo switching, cutting angles with switches, facilitating advantages from both stances (e.g. trap more in sp, jab/hook more in orthodox, more 1/2s in orthodox, and so on). Although cutting angles with switches can sometimes come without much focus on it as you may randomly switch stances in sparring to get a dominant angle. I think that using switching to cut angles is probably the best advanced use of stance switching you can make. It works very well and there isn't very much risk involved like switching while leaping in or switching mid-combination. There are other little advantages to switching as well like protecting a damaged leg, being unpredictable and coming in random stances against some one who has to gameplan for you, not many other people do it therefore it is hard to train for, etc.

I would also recommend (after a while of training switching) to go into sparring classes and attempt to stay in a single stance for prolonged periods. This allows you to have control over your stance switching and do it more voluntarily rather than involuntarily without realizing that you have even done it. This also teaches you to be able to stay in one stance just in case you need to stay in that stance against some one as part of a game plan (e.g. I would probably spend most of my time in southpaw if I fought Johnny Hendrix).

And it is strange that we almost never see stance switching in boxing (though it may happen more often than I think as I don't watch enough boxing). It might just be that they know better than us or because of biases that have existed in the art and have been passed on for generations. Not bashing boxing (not even saying that this is what happened) as most martial art instructors do this. Though I noticed that Mike Tyson switches stances while throwing combos. Also Willie Pep would leap inside with switches a lot. And to the guy who blames Benavidez loss against DJ to stance switching, remember that DJ does it A LOT more than Benavidez and seems to be equal in both stances to me. While Benavidez is mostly a sp and I would imagine he is a little uncomfortable in orthodox.

Everything Salido does that's ugly and horrible works for him on a high level of boxing.

Do you have an idea why it works for him so well ?

I mean, in his fight with Lomachenko, I thought that Salido would get totally f..cked
during those stance-swtches. Lomachenko IMO has a very good balance himself and , as all former soviet amateurs, knows how to capitalize on the opponent being off balance. So I thought that he would retreat and counter Salido all day long as after stance switches Salido looks pretty off balance.

But it never happened and Salido was very successful at closing the distance quickly and cutting the ring off due to the stance switching.

Any idea why ?

FrayedBestAfricancivet.gif

No pivoting there, but a step and a shift that accomplishes the same thing.

That gif is incredible. As far as switching goes.... It's such a cool idea, but I have not sparred anyone who employed it well. I came across it a lot more sparring MMA guys than boxing or muay thai guys, maybe chalk it up to open mindedness.

I did a little training with Samart though, and he had me do everything in orthodox and southpaw equally. Really awkward, but if you practice it everyday, it could be worth something... maybe.

Is the danger of switching stances as shown with the KO of Vaughn Lee? It appears he uses similar footwork to what TJ was using. Appears Vaughn got countered after throwing a strike while bit off balance.

Last edited:
Is the danger of switching stances as shown with the KO of Vaughn Lee? It appears he uses similar footwork to what TJ was using. Appears Vaughn got countered after throwing a strike while bit off balance.

Kinda. Vaughn was off balanced because Alcantara jammed up his switch kick.

That gif is incredible. As far as switching goes.... It's such a cool idea, but I have not sparred anyone who employed it well. I came across it a lot more sparring MMA guys than boxing or muay thai guys, maybe chalk it up to open mindedness.

I did a little training with Samart though, and he had me do everything in orthodox and southpaw equally. Really awkward, but if you practice it everyday, it could be worth something... maybe.

That GIF is indeed amazing.

I don't even care how impractical or risky it might be, while Dillashaw is not perfect, that was completely badass. The stance switching opened up for something else entirely. The fluidity and chaining of his movement, angles, punching and kicking was very intruiging to watch. It was like there was no loss of momentum. He was sharp in the exchanges as well and didn't forget the basics.

I, myself, have dabbled around with simular thoughts, but only when using MMA/Kickboxing. Knees, elbows, punches, kicks, switching and non stop pressure. It's not as rewarding in boxing as you have less options and it becomes more restrictive, not to mention the dangers.

I think it would be a fun exercise to train a bit and move around in southpaw, if not only for the brain exercise and insight. I mean the cordination can't hurt. I wouldn't use it in a fight though, unless It was as good as the orthodox side.

^ You can use it in boxing. Best switch stancer in Boxing right now I believe is Kid Galahad. Technically sound and he is just as good on both sides which is a rare thing. I really can't tell the difference. Whichever stance gives him the biggest advantage that's what he uses.

I noticed James DeGale was switch hitting on the Froch undercard. Not a big fan of his, but another example non the less

ive sparred extensively with stance switchers in boxing. what really gets me is how quickly they get up on my side, and when they feint which side theyll get up on.

most efficient way to fight someone who does this is to always face them, when they have these drastic and sudden angle and direction changes, youve gotta have your your wits about you and slide/move into position to face them the same second they land to punch. having a tight high guard is also neccesary until youre very comfortable with the style of the guy. or else he'll catch you off guard on a weird movement and punching combination youve never seen before. ususally really athletic guys do this effectively too, cause they have the speed it needs. that doesnt help.

^ You can use it in boxing. Best switch stancer in Boxing right now I believe is Kid Galahad. Technically sound and he is just as good on both sides which is a rare thing. I really can't tell the difference. Whichever stance gives him the biggest advantage that's what he uses.

I'm sorry to say I haven't seen Kid Galahad box yet, but I've heard a lot about him lately. Just earlier today I saw this pretty neat documentary on the Ingle Boxing Gym.

I think I'll watch some of his fights straight away.

It's worth noting that even Ingle's fighters these days switch a lot less frequently than guys like Graham and Hamed used to. Ingle seems to have cut down on the switching as he's refined his system.

I think it should be noted that from what I have learn over at the boxing forum, Ingle had not have a hand in training for his gym's fighters for quite a while. Apparently it had been since he had a stroke.

Interesting. Got any links? I'd like to read up on that. That's sad, if true, but I would think he's passed on his knowledge to some assistant trainers since his gym still produces fighters with a very Ingle-esque style.

I noticed James DeGale was switch hitting on the Froch undercard. Not a big fan of his, but another example non the less

Yeah he does now and then but doesn't spend much time there. Just throws a combo or two and then reverts to southpaw.

Kid Galahad though will fight half the round as southpaw then half the round as orthodox, and then he'll switch in between as the opportunities present themselves.

It's worth noting that even Ingle's fighters these days switch a lot less frequently than guys like Graham and Hamed used to. Ingle seems to have cut down on the switching as he's refined his system.

That's true but Galahad fights differently. He doesn't switch as frequently but he stays in stance for longer be it leftie or rightie. Guys like Hamed and Rhodes used to just switch back and forth but would favour one side more, Galahad is just as good on either side.

Back