Pit bulls attack 6 year old and rips her jaw off...

So basically your entrenched in your position and that's that.

No.

But I've yet to see any reason why I should change my mind.

They have a propensity for violence as history (and statistics) have shown.

I have no problems with people choosing whichever breed they like best but when so much negative history is attached to one breed I can't see why you'd ever take a chance with it.

I've known plenty pits throughout my life. Some aggressive and dangerous, some docile and kind. However the fault shouldn't be solely placed on the owner when a breed has shown tendencies for violence through decades and decades.

Common sense would say if a dog has rabies it's not going to do well with people and dogs.

Unless I didn't understand correctly , I thought the test wasn't completed ? If I didn't understand it correctly , then it's my bad

The point is that dogs aren't born to be aggressive and kill other dogs / people

Feel free to google " labrador attacks " or " [insert breed name here] attacks "

Hell, even yorkies are mofos. Thank God that mine only eats and barks 24/7 ( and bites everyone who comes over to our house haha )

http://newsiclenews.blogspot.gr/2013/04/yorkshire-terrier-attack-on-boy-9.html

"It looks cool"

Well, so do plenty of other dogs. Subjective yes, but if that's your prime reason for choosing a breed then you probably shouldn't own a dog.

"Their physical attributes, strength and agility"

Yes, that's undeniable. However plenty... and I mean plenty of other breeds share these same qualities, and the difference is that most of those breeds aren't also associated with maiming and killing and erratic behavior.

Nah. It loved kids before this happened. It must have been provoked. Nothing like this has ever happened before.

It sensed the kid was a future serial killer and it was all a preemptive preventive measure if you will.

No.

But I've yet to see any reason why I should change my mind.

They have a propensity for violence as history (and statistics) have shown.

I have no problems with people choosing whichever breed they like best but when so much negative history is attached to one breed I can't see why you'd ever take a chance with it.

I've known plenty pits throughout my life. Some aggressive and dangerous, some docile and kind. However the fault shouldn't be solely placed on the owner when a breed has shown tendencies for violence through decades and decades.

From the ASPCA

There are several reasons why banning certain breeds is not likely to be effective. First, the breeds most often involved in bite injuries and fatalities change from year to year and from one area of the country to another, depending on the popularity of different breeds. Although genetics do play a role in determining whether a dog will bite, other factors

is that dogsbite site even legit? some veterinarian from England was on here one time saying it was bunk. maybe he's bunk. i dunno.

I'm sure it's been covered, but as someone who has had their eyelid ripped off by one, Pitts are just violent dogs. It's in their nature. I don't blame the dogs at all, it's these people who keep breeding and buying dogs that just aren't going to fit in the world without the constant threat of doing something like in the op

Do you have an artificial eyelid? Also, was the dog put down?

"So yeah all these people throughout the years have been and are currently being attacked by a repeat offender breed but the numbers are meaningless here because we say so"

Is what I got from that.

That's from the ASPCA too, so it should be no surprise to see them white knighting for the pits.

So do you think you can raise 1000 grizzly bears, have them interact with children from birth, and that 100% would be perfectly safe when they are fully grown?

There's been plenty of good owners where aggressive breeds like pits have just snapped, as well as the opposite.

Just because there's examples of some well behaved pitts doesn't mean that in general they are are a less aggressive species than other breeds. Pretty much every study in history has shown them to be more aggressive than any other dog. Does that mean there aren't well behaved pitts? No. But that doesn't mean when looking at studies of 1,000, 10,000, 100,000 dogs etc they aren't more apt to snap and go apeshit than other breeds.

You can't convince apologists on their set ways.

Unless I didn't understand correctly , I thought the test wasn't completed ? If I didn't understand it correctly , then it's my bad

I was getting that info from the comments so you're not incorrect.

The point is that dogs aren't born to be aggressive and kill other dogs / people

Feel free to google " labrador attacks " or " [insert breed name here] attacks "

Hell, even yorkies are mofos. Thank God that mine only eats and barks 24/7 ( and bites everyone who comes over to our house haha )

http://newsiclenews.blogspot.gr/2013/04/yorkshire-terrier-attack-on-boy-9.html

I'm not for or against pitbulls. However, I do believe in stronger requirements to own them. I feel the same towards any "guard" breed.

Fuck pit bull apologists. Another child, this time a 6 year old got her face ripped apart and will never have a normal life because of yet another pit bull attack. Look the statistics already pointed in this thread. This breed is ridiculous.
You have to be a special kind of asshole to own a dog that could potentially one day just finish for no reason the life of a child just because you think the dog is cool. Even if it is a small risk it is still very douche of you.

"So yeah all these people throughout the years have been and are currently being attacked by a repeat offender breed but the numbers are meaningless here because we say so"

Is what I got from that.

That's from the ASPCA too, so it should be no surprise to see them white knighting for the pits.

Alright, there is no further reason to continue this conversation.

See you in the GoT threads.

I'm actually starting to lean toward supporting banning them. I will need to look up the actual statistics by breed though, rather than just running with the story du jour by the media.

I'm neither pro- nor anti- pitbull, but any large breed dog can do the same thing. Someone I went to school with got attacked by a German Shepherd and had his arm torn open down to the bone. My former stepbrother got the ever loving fuck bit out of him by a chow, his dad had to kill the dog to get it off of him. My brother had his lip nearly bitten off by a schnauzer of all things.

And to people citing Merritt Clifton as a source for dog bite statistics, just stop. Find someone less biased and/or someone who doesn't just make up statistics and then we'll talk.

You are not making a case for the rest of the canine family either.

The main problem with pits is that they attract the stupidest, most low-rent, piece-of-shit owners who think they're tough because of the dogs they own.

There are here plenty of exceptions, but the connection between pit bull ownership and scumbag infested households has got to be absolutely astounding.

I wouldn't word it like that but I agree. It has a lot to do with machismo and ignorance on top of the Pit being aggressive already as it is - but that's why they want the pit in the first place. Kind of like having pet piranha for the mere feeding sessions with a mouse usually. Masochism at it's core.

Alright, there is no further reason to continue this conversation.

See you in the GoT threads.

I'm just saying, there have been countless attacks throughout the last 20 years. You can put blame on the media for perpetuating the notion that they're dangerous dogs but at the end of the day the media would have nothing to work with if there were no pitbull attacks. And it would seem there are plenty.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/pit-bull-attack/

And these are just reports from the last few years.

I love dogs, and I'm not for breed discrimination, but pit bulls make themselves very hard to defend with how often you see them in the news (for all the wrong reasons).

Back