Pit bulls attack 6 year old and rips her jaw off...

Are they? They do have a higher rate of attacks, but it is silly to say they are the only dogs who bite. Either way, the point was poodles cannot maul children so why own any dog who can. Therefore, it would seem the point was you should not own a dog capable of harming children

Well clearly Pits not only have the capability, but the propensity for attacking people, particularly children.

There's really no point to this debate though, I have no allusions of changing anyone's mind. If someone's dull enough to think that owning a pitbull is necessary, there's nothing I can do for them. I'm not trying to get personal with you, nor do I blindly "hate" pitbulls. It's an issue I have personal experience with, so forgive my overly zealous take on the issue.

I believe the last statistics I looked at (could be wrong) it was Labradors or Alsatians at the top of the attack list. Every Pit Bull I have met has been super well natured, however that probably speaks more to the owners, as I believe it is an owner thing. However my cynical side also realizes most people are fucking retards and Pit Bulls probably should be banned.

A 9-year (1979–88) review of fatal dog attacks in the United States determined that, of the 101 attacks in which breed was recorded, pit bulls were implicated in 42 of those attacks (42%).[24] A 1991 study found that 94% of attacks on children by pit bulls were unprovoked, compared to 43% for other breeds.[25] A 5-year (1989–94) review of fatal dog attacks in the U.S. determined that pit bulls and pit bull mixed breeds were implicated in 24 (29%) of the 84 deaths in which breed was recorded.[26]

A 20-year (1979-1998) study by the American Veterinary Medical Association into fatal dog attacks on humans[27] concluded that "fatal attacks on humans appear to be a breed-specific problem (pit bull-type dogs and Rottweilers)," and that "pit bull-type dogs and Rottweilers were involved in more than half" (67%) of all the 238 recorded dog bite-related fatalities (DBRF) in the United States during that period, with pit bulls accounting for 66 deaths. They also wrote that:

"It is extremely unlikely that they accounted for anywhere near 60% of dogs in the United States during that same period and, thus, there appears to be a breed-specific problem with fatalities."[27]

Long story short, there's no doubt that there's a lot of external factors such as ownership, how the dog was raised, etc. But you're simply ignorant if you don't think the breed is naturally aggressive.

But can't most dogs over 50 pounds kill a child?

They could, but most other dog breeds don't have a statistical predilection for mauling children and other animals. Why does anyone "need" a pit bull?

I believe the last statistics I looked at (could be wrong) it was Labradors or Alsatians at the top of the attack list. Every Pit Bull I have met has been super well natured, however that probably speaks more to the owners, as I believe it is an owner thing. However my cynical side also realizes most people are fucking retards and Pit Bulls probably should be banned.

There are multiple links ITT that show the Pit at the top of the list (this being over a 20 year span as well).

They could, but most other dog breeds don't have a statistical predilection for mauling children and other animals. Why does anyone "need" a pit bull?

You could honestly ask "Why does anyone "need" a dog?"

They probably could, but pits are just wired to fuck shit up. If you don't believe that I don't know what to tell you.

Sometimes it's the owners, sometimes it's just the fact that its a FUCKING PIT BULL.

My brother has a pitt. She's not " just wired to fuck shit up" at all. Maybe it's because he's a responsible owner and had the dog interact with children, other dogs, and other people when she was still a little puppy.

I will admit that these dogs aren't for everyone though. They have a crazy amount of strength and if a poor owner has a pit it obviously can be dangerous.

Also, the term pit bull is a generic term. There are more than one breed of dog that labeled as pit bulls. APBTs and AmStaffs are the most common though.

But it's cool to make a sweeping generalization about a breed based on the handful of news reports we see about aggressive/dangerous pits?

let me guess, we should be called dog speciests right? we should be forced to lose our jobs, speaking out against them?

My brother has a pitt. She's not " just wired to fuck shit up" at all. Maybe it's because he's a responsible owner and had the dog interact with children, other dogs, and other people when she was still a little puppy.

I will admit that these dogs aren't for everyone though. They have a crazy amount of strength and if a poor owner has a pit it obviously can be dangerous.

Also, the term pit bull is a generic term. There are more than one breed of dog that labeled as pit bulls. APBTs and AmStaffs are the most common though.

Guys, his brother has a pit and its friendly!

Sew that lady's face back on we're all good he's friendly!

Pit-bull.jpg

6 year olds should be illegal.

50413025401c787a95a13257c1c2303c_fullsize.jpg

6 year olds should be illegal.

50413025401c787a95a13257c1c2303c_fullsize.jpg

Never said pits should be illegal.

However I'm sick of the notion that its solely the owner's fault whenever something horrific happens regarding a pit.

If that's the case pit owners must suck, which in turn means pit apologists must suck.

They're extremely athletic. Fun to train in agility courses, weight pulling and other physical activities.

Why does anyone "need" a dog?

So do you think you can raise 1000 grizzly bears, have them interact with children from birth, and that 100% would be perfectly safe when they are fully grown?

There's been plenty of good owners where aggressive breeds like pits have just snapped, as well as the opposite.

Just because there's examples of some well behaved pitts doesn't mean that in general they are are a less aggressive species than other breeds. Pretty much every study in history has shown them to be more aggressive than any other dog. Does that mean there aren't well behaved pitts? No. But that doesn't mean when looking at studies of 1,000, 10,000, 100,000 dogs etc they aren't more apt to snap and go apeshit than other breeds.

So do you think you can raise 1000 grizzly bears, have them interact with children from birth, and that 100% would be perfectly safe when they are fully grown?

There's been plenty of good owners where aggressive breeds like pits have just snapped, as well as the opposite.

Just because there's examples of some well behaved pitts doesn't mean that in general they are are a less aggressive species than other breeds.

You're really going to compare a pit to a grizzly bear? One is a dog, a domestic species that has been created by humans and the other isn't.

They're extremely athletic. Fun to train in agility courses, weight pulling and other physical activities.

Why does anyone "need" a dog?

There are plenty of dogs that are fine for families to own. I would just avoid pit bulls if I was raising children.

There are multiple links ITT that show the Pit at the top of the list (this being over a 20 year span as well).

I probably checked the New Zealand stats when I looked, they're probably slightly different.

Pitbull threads are second only to hunting threads on sherdog, IMO.

Back