Pink Floyd early years boxset

It will be good to have all of this in one place, essentially. I am always up for more Syd Barrett.

This will probably be a mixed bag. Some of the unreleased Syd era music will be interesting but the albums between Syd leaving and meddle weren't exactly their best work, I can't imagine there being much great unreleased music from that time period of the band.

This will probably be a mixed bag. Some of the unreleased Syd era music will be interesting but the albums between Syd leaving and meddle weren't exactly their best work, I can't imagine there being much great unreleased music from that time period of the band.
I thought Waters booted Syd ala Jones and the Stones.

27 discs?

Damn. I imagine its alot of live albums and recordings. They only had like 6 albums before dark side?

Pink Floyd have raided their vaults for a massive, 27-disc box set anthologizing their first seven years together, The Early Years 1965 – 1972, due out on November 11th. It will contain unreleased outtakes and demos, TV appearances, seven hours of concert recordings, 15 hours of video (including concert performances, interviews and three feature films), over 20 unreleased songs, an updated version of their Zabriskie Point soundtrack and more, documenting the period before Dark Side of the Moon. The group will also put out a more affordable, two-disc compilation, The Early Years – Cre/ation.

David Gilmour Talks Pompeii Return: 'It's a Place of Ghosts'

The audio will comprise 130 tracks, spanning 12-and-a-half hours and featuring unreleased songs and BBC sessions alongside the aforementioned outtakes. Two never-before-released recordings, the Syd Barrett–penned Saucerful of Secrets outtakes "Vegetable Man" and "In the Beechwoods," have been newly mixed for the release. It will contain seven hours of previously unreleased live audio, as well as replica seven-inch singles. Its video content will feature over seven hours of rare concert footage. The set will also contain memorabilia.

The discs will be housed in seven book-style containers, which will be available individually in 2017 with the exception of the bonus set, "Continu/ation."

The first book-style package will cover 1965 – 1967 and is titled "Cambridge St/ation." It covers Barrett's stint in the group, including demos, singles, the aforementioned Saucerful rarities and BBC sessions. Also notable is a CD release of the material on the rare 2015 vinyl release 1965: Their First Recordings, which featured Rado Klose on guitar and Juliette Gale on vocals. It will also include an unreleased Stockholm concert from 1967, and a DVD or Blu-ray of their TV performances and band-only footage from the time.

Pink Floyd to Launch Massive Vinyl Reissue Campaign

The box will also contain reproduction vinyl singles of "Arnold Layne," "See Emily Play," "Apples and Oranges," "It Would Be So Nice" and "Point Me at the Sky."

In other Floyd news, David Gilmour recently returned to Pompeii for a stunning concert, and the group is in the midst of reissuing its catalogue on vinyl via its own record label.

I thought Waters booted Syd ala Jones and the Stones.
IIRC no one ever told him to his face that he was no longer in the band, they just stopped including him in their music and eventually his manager announced that he and the band had parted ways.

IIRC no one ever told him to his face that he was no longer in the band, they just stopped including him in their music and eventually his manager announced that he and the band had parted ways.
I think the confusion is when Syd tried to come back when they were recording DSOTM. He had shaved his eyebrows and was completely insane by that point

But there's an old Waters interview where he admits they basically told him to fuck off. Mental illness is a bitch. During their last jams together Syd apparently would just space out playing one note for entire songs

To be honest, Floyd is one of my favorite bands, but im not big on Piper at the gates of dawn.. Which is really the only album Syd is on. I think he played on 2 tracks SFOS

atom heart mother is the earliest album I really love

Last edited:
Back