Ping pong and chewing

if you need a good opponent surely you can lift the back half of the table up and play against yourself. If Mike does it like KK said then it couldn't hurt.

I doubt it will really improve your striking but maybe your reflexes. Im sure doing drills would be better but if you like ping pong theres no harm in playing it!

Reflexes and Hand eye coordination certainly play a huge roll in all stand up fighting. Try experimenting by playing ping pong for a couple months and see how well you can duck or slip a combo before and after the two month period.

To make something clear, I don't think anyone's talking about substituting actual training with table tennis. It's an extra-curricular activity that can augment, not something to replace drills.

i used to play table tennis back in high school. i think it helps your footwork. the side 2 side movement helps. granted, i played at a higher level than most backyard players. i also think it helps your hand-eye coordination and reflexes.

i used to play table tennis back in high school. i think it helps your footwork. the side 2 side movement helps. granted, i played at a higher level than most backyard players. i also think it helps your hand-eye coordination and reflexes.

that is very true too... ping pong has a lot to do with your footwork.

but how come chinese ppl cant dance if we play so much ping pong??

Just to clarify...ummm...dont STOP actually training your hands thinking that ping pong is all you need.

Can I atleast just stop maybe sparring or heavy bag for ping pong?

I finally played ping pong!

I went to play ball at a park, it was a rec center and gym next to it and there were old Chinese men playing. I poked my head in with 2 of my friends ans we started playing.

I don't think it'll help though, level of these guys are too high for me, I just kept losing.

I need to find some little kids to play against.

To make something clear, I don't think anyone's talking about substituting actual training with table tennis. It's an extra-curricular activity that can augment, not something to replace drills.

is there any video of you training or fighting around?

Wtf? Ping pong doesn't have anything to do with being good at standup, it has to do with being good at tennis! Chances are if you're good at tennis, you'll be good at ping pong.

And your second theory is ridiculous as well.

You have no idea what the hell you're talking about. The two games, while looking similar, are played completely different.

I've planed Table Tennis (Ping Pong, whatever you want to call it) for 10 years, compititively, in tournaments, and compititions. I can kick just about anyone's ass in Ping Pong. I'm like the guys you see on YouTube. (Seriously)

Walk outside and find an 8 year old girl, and she could kick my ass at tennis. One does not translate at all to the other.

You use the same basic swing motions to spin the ball certain ways, just with a smaller swing.

No you don't. Tennis is more of a forward power swing with the racket open, across the body, in a relatively straight line, and a wide sweeping reserve swing the opposite way with the backhand, often with two hands. Table tennis you never cross your body, and the racket is supposed to end toward your forhead, almost always starting much lower and ending higher. The racket is often closed, and nearly half the the shots are pushes, which do not even exist in tennis in the same way.

When I was on the tennis team in high school, everyone on the tennis team was also great at ping pong, though anyone hardly every played.

They were great because they probably played you. That doesn't mean they were any good at all.

Wtf? Ping pong doesn't have anything to do with being good at standup, it has to do with being good at tennis! Chances are if you're good at tennis, you'll be good at ping pong.

And your second theory is ridiculous as well.

Actually the had one of these joint-comps in Sweden a coupel of years ago

all the big raquett sports
Badminton, ping pong, tennis, even squash, you compete in all 4 of em

Swedish world class guys in everything the ping pong dude won

Ping Pong is more of a skill game where as tennis is more physique

not to mention that atleast where I am from tennis is a rich brats sports, hardly the best talent pool to get the greatest athletes

isn't juggling supposed to help? anyone ever try it and notice improvement?

Thegrandmaster takes ping pong seriously.

seriouscat.jpg

Back