Picking and choosing as an amateur or taking on all comers

Aren't you in your mid 20's?
Why don't you just go pro?
There is still a lot I want to accomplish in my amateur career.
1) Bjj, kickboxing and boxing fights. I don’t expect to take much if any when I turn pro.
2) I could be a pro right now, but I don’t feel like I would be a ‘good’ one. I could probably muster up an average record. Maybe something like 5-5. Beat the shitty guys and lose to the good guys type of deal
3) Lots of things to learn and mistakes to be made still.
4) Want to be prepared for the pros. Don’t want to just be ready for an entry level fight. Want to make a good run at it and feel confident enough that I would be ready for a high level fight right off of a pro debut. (Probably wouldn’t do that but would want to feel like that)
5) Main goal is to be the best fighter I can be. The goal isn’t to turn professional just so I can say I did it. In fact if I don’t feel good about it I may never turn pro.

Last edited:
1) Bjj, kickboxing and boxing fights. I don’t expect to take much of any when I go pro
2) I could be a pro right now, but I don’t feel like I would be a ‘good’ one. I could probably muster up an average record
4) Want to be prepared for the pros. Don’t want to just be ready for an entry level fight. Want to make a good run at it and feel confident enough that I would be ready for a high level pro right off of a pro debut. (Probably wouldn’t do that but would want to feel like that)
5) Main goal is to be the best fighter I can be. The goal is to turn professional just so I can say I did it. In fact if I don’t feel good about it I may never turn pro.
I thought you looked good enough in your last fight to go pro, but those are all good reasons not to as well.

Yea it's stupid you can't do amateur boxing or kickboxing after doing "Pro" MMA. The level of striking in amateur boxing and kickboxing is usually higher then the level of striking low level Pro MMA fights.

1) Bjj, kickboxing and boxing fights. I don’t expect to take much if any when I turn pro.
2) I could be a pro right now, but I don’t feel like I would be a ‘good’ one. I could probably muster up an average record. Maybe something like 5-5. Beat the shitty guys and lose to the good guys type of deal
4) Want to be prepared for the pros. Don’t want to just be ready for an entry level fight. Want to make a good run at it and feel confident enough that I would be ready for a high level fight right off of a pro debut. (Probably wouldn’t do that but would want to feel like that)
5) Main goal is to be the best fighter I can be. The goal isn’t to turn professional just so I can say I did it. In fact if I don’t feel good about it I may never turn pro.

Hold on werent you late 20s right now?

Always thought you older than me by year or 2

Hold on werent you late 20s right now?

Always thought you older than me by year or 2
Yeah turning 29 soon. That’s why it’s a real possibility I don’t even turn pro or have a very long pro career

i wouldn’t mess with boxing unless it’s against another mma fighter. It’s such a different sport that even as an ammy you’re at a huge disadvantage. Stick with kickboxing and jits tournaments, IMO

i wouldn’t mess with boxing unless it’s against another mma fighter. It’s such a different sport that even as an ammy you’re at a huge disadvantage. Stick with kickboxing and jits tournaments, IMO
Thanks. I realize how much of a disadvantage it is. But over here before Hawaii closed down we had a lot of entry level boxing fights. A lot of mma fighters have competed in the amateur boxing scene being from mma first and have had decent results. It’s not always super good guys like the mainland would be

Thanks. I realize how much of a disadvantage it is. But over here before Hawaii closed down we had a lot of entry level boxing fights. A lot of mma fighters have competed in the amateur boxing scene being from mma first and have had decent results. It’s not always super good guys like the mainland would be

It’s like our ol’ good Doc said - you don’t need boxing competition experience for your mma game. Just for the fun of it - yep, why not?

Back