pick one weight and create an all time 8 man tournament.

WW

Robinson
Leonard
Hearns
Gavilan
Napoles
Mayweather
Burley
Duran

Cool thread

Hearns
Kovalev
Jones Jr
Michalzweski
Marciano
Ward
Spinks
Hopkins

As much as I don't care for Spinks, I'd be fairly confident that he'd win this. The only fighters I think would give him a serious run for it would be Roy and Marciano. If you made it all time LHWs, I'd have Charles, Moore, and Foster with a real chance of beating Spinks.

Also, congratulations to Actjac for making a worthwhile thread.

Featherweight

Willie Pep
Sandy Saddler
Alexis Arguello
Salvador Sanchez
Jeff Fenech
Naseem Hamed
Manny Pacquiao
Vasyl Lomachenko

I pick 130, because my idol, Hector "Macho" Camacho, started there and looked for all intents and purposes like a future great. Haugen said after Macho died that he was the greatest 130 pounder ever. High, high praise but given that he won the title and made one defense before abandoning the weight class, is it true? So here we go.

Hector "Macho" Camacho
Julio Cesar Chavez
Alexis Arguello
Floyd Mayweather
Henry Armstrong
Azumah Nelson
Wilfredo Gomez

Bobby Chacon

Hell, i can't even think of another fighter to put in their who would actually classify as great. 130 is one of those odd weights which doesn't date back, i don't know how far. Pep and Saddler didn't fight above feather did they? I include armstrong because he fought from 126 up to 160 so I know he belongs. Haugen may have a point, that weight class doesn't have alot of history behind it does it?

Macho was awesome at that weight and seemed capable of anything for awhile. We cannot place him honestly in the category of an Alexis Arguello who was truly great, but I think he'd beat him. Chavez and Mayweather would be really interesting, hate to say it but those are tough fights to call, I could see mayweather matching his speed and winning just off of all around know how, Chavez was also quite special at that weight, never better actually.

As much as I don't care for Spinks, I'd be fairly confident that he'd win this. The only fighters I think would give him a serious run for it would be Roy and Marciano. If you made it all time LHWs, I'd have Charles, Moore, and Foster with a real chance of beating Spinks.

Also, congratulations to Actjac for making a worthwhile thread.
spinks was great but I think Roy would have been too fast for him. Spinks was never really known for his speed. He was powerful, well taught, awkward and unorthodox though, and oh yes, very dirty. He was called the dirtiest fighter in boxing at the time. Then again, anyone has a puncher's chance with roy.

Featherweight

Willie Pep
Sandy Saddler
Alexis Arguello
Salvador Sanchez
Jeff Fenech
Naseem Hamed
Manny Pacquiao
Vasyl Lomachenko

I'd lean towards Saddler, he beat Pep and he was pretty rangy, just like Arguello. Pac is interesting, always, but he was really too one dimensional to consider against some of these guys. Pep would probably be a lock, but he lost to Saddler. Then again, that wasn't prime Pep, that was post-plane crash Pep, and he did win one.

Tszyu
Chavez
Pryor
Judah
Floyd
Pacquiao
Whitaker
Benitez

Chavez was old and up too far for this class, Pryor was awesome, Benitez was a defensive prodigy, I say it's a toss up between Pryor and Whitaker, both two, tough minded, skilled fighters, Pryor had the power advantage and could box pretty good when he wanted to. Floyd? I don't think he'd take enough chances to win, I think he has the physical ability to but not the mental toughness.

SMW

Eubank
Benn
Calzaghe
Toney
Ward
Jones Jr.
Hopkins
Froch

I'd say Roy, but I've always thought that Eubank and Benn would have forced him to fight had they fought in his prime. You see, those guys had physical ability and a ton of toughness as well, particularly Eubank, gutsy, gutsy guy.

Mine would be at 200 lbs. . . I would have: Joe Louis, Joe Frazier, Rocky Marciano, Jack Dempsey, Evander Holyfield, Roy Jones Jr., Dwight Muhammad Qawi and David Haye.. . . . Seven of the eight won the heavyweight title but all fought at or under 200 lbs.
gotta give it to louis although he'd have a hard time with the durable, swarming Frazier and the elusive Roy Jones. Roy has a shot as long as he doesn't get hit, those guys would put him out worse than any of the mediocre guys we've seen him kayoed by have.

Middleweights

Greb
Robinson
Hagler
GGG
Hopkins
Monzon
Jones Jr.
Hearns

This one is really tough, Robinson and Hearns weren't at their best at the weight so I'd go with Hagler. Roy, again, just doesnt have the chin, it was enough for the guys he fought but not enough against guys who are as commited and intelligent as most of these fighters are. Roy would beat half of them.

Roy Jones Jr. hs been mentioned a number of times in weight classes spanning 40 lbs.

Heavyweight.

Mike Tyson (Prime Catskills trained Mike Tyson)
Earnie Shavers
Rocky Marciano
Jack Johnson
Joe Louis
Jack Dempsey
George Foreman (Comeback George Foreman)
Larry Holmes

I did a random bracket and it came out as...

Shavers vs Marciano
Jack Johnson vs Joe Louis
Dempsey Vs Holmes
George Foreman Vs. Tyson

Winner gets the Muhammad Ali Lottery

WW

Sugar Ray Leonard
Sugar Ray Robinson
Floyd Mayweather
Manny Pacquiao
Julio Caesar Chavez
Roberto Duran
Henry Armstrong
Wilfred Benitez

Last edited:
Bob Foster needs to be on this list somewhere
Dont know much of Foster other than him fighting both Ali and Frazier

How competitive would he be against, say, Pascal or Stevenson?

Dont know much of Foster other than him fighting both Ali and Frazier

How competitive would he be against, say, Pascal or Stevenson?

Sizable favourite over both of them. Honestly, I can't see any way that Pascal would ever beat him. Stevenson's power would give him a small chance, but Foster, in addition to being maybe the biggest puncher in LHW history, was a 6' 3'' LHW with a 79'' reach and very good boxing ability.

Sizable favourite over both of them. Honestly, I can't see any way that Pascal would ever beat him. Stevenson's power would give him a small chance, but Foster, in addition to being maybe the biggest puncher in LHW history, was a 6' 3'' LHW with a 79'' reach and very good boxing ability.
I'm not so sure he'd be a big favorite. I love watching old Foster fights but his competition was not all the great at 175 pounds. Frankly, Kovalev has probably fought a better class of LHW than Foster did.

I'm not so sure he'd be a big favorite. I love watching old Foster fights but his competition was not all the great at 175 pounds. Frankly, Kovalev has probably fought a better class of LHW than Foster did.

Foster's era certainly wasn't on the level of Charles'/Moore's or Spinks', but let's not forget that Kovalev's best win remains a near 50 year old Bernard Hopkins. I fail to see how Kovalev's class is better than Foster's, and Kovalev hasn't really come that close to clearing out his class of LHWs, yet, let alone reigning as the clear-cut man in the division (which Kovalev is not just yet) for 6 years. Now, Kovalev/Foster would be an interesting fight and I'd give Kovalev a better shot than Stevenson or Pascal, but there is a lot more guesswork to do with Kovalev against top level LHWs than there is with Foster.

Foster's era certainly wasn't on the level of Charles'/Moore's or Spinks', but let's not forget that Kovalev's best win remains a near 50 year old Bernard Hopkins. I fail to see how Kovalev's class is better than Foster's, and Kovalev hasn't really come that close to clearing out his class of LHWs, yet, let alone reigning as the clear-cut man in the division (which Kovalev is not just yet) for 6 years. Now, Kovalev/Foster would be an interesting fight and I'd give Kovalev a better shot than Stevenson or Pascal, but there is a lot more guesswork to do with Kovalev against top level LHWs than there is with Foster.
I'm not really saying Kovalev is miles beyond Foster or anything but I don't really think Foster fought in the deepest era. Kovalev's best win may be Hopkin but Fosters was probably Tiger, who had plenty of mileage on his tires as well. Aside from Tiger, I doubt most people could name a lot of guys Foster fought without using boxrec.

*at light heavy weight, obviously.

Back