@Steel
Reaction score
2007 - 2010

f0b191f0ee50599f77d5417ed9e67fbd.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

5ce1f8914e320.image.jpg

rashad-evans.jpg

Shogun-Rua-Lyoto-Machida.jpg

This was the era when the LHW title was tossed around like the hottest potato ever. When the UFC finally brought the PRIDE fighters over, the Liddell era ended at the same time. Rampage finally killed the king with a picture perfect left hook in the first round to win the title, defended it once vs Hendo and lost it to Griffin in one of the greatest LHW title fights ever. Griffin then lost the belt to Rashad, who lost it to Machida, who had one of the most controversial title wins in UFC history vs Shogun. They had an instant rematch where Shogun slept Machida in the first round.

The LHW belt changed hands 5 times in 4 years before Jon Jones came and said enough is enough.

2014 - 2017
Jon-Jones-Alexander-Gustafsson-UFC-MMA-MMAnytt.jpg

alexander-gustafsson-jon-jones-hospital-mmanytt.jpg

ac277b46-aed5-4211-aa18-c1bda1974658

MYM2N2D34BGLVD74Q4LLX2NXFY.jpg

DC-1200x1546.jpg

Alexander-Gustafsson-The-Mauler-Daniel-Cormier-DC-UFC-MMA-MMAnytt-1000x652.jpg

1407882184000-MMA-UFC-Jones-Cormier-Wash.jpg

After wiping out the previous era, the very dominant champion Jon Jones now had to deal with the aftermath of a suprising war from a certain swede, hatred from an undefeated powerhouse wrestler and a KO machine looming in the dark.

The structure of the LHW division during this era was basically:

GOAT tier: Jon Jones
Champion tier: Daniel Cormier
Contenders: Rumble and Gus.

What a time to be a fan. They all fought eachother except for Jones vs. Rumble.

Last edited:
2014-2017. Looking back it’s insane how Jones made DC look average.

Would have loved to see Jones VS Rumble. It would have been competitive until Rumble gassed and Jones chin would have been fully tested.

2014-2017. Looking back it’s insane how Jones made DC look average.

Would have loved to see Jones VS Rumble. It would have been competitive until Rumble gassed and Jones chin would have been fully tested.

That said, considering Gus' record and who he beat to get to the title shot (Rua is a legend, but was definitely past his prime,) I personally wonder how much JBJ's lack of a training camp and his partying have led to potentially overrating Gus.

If Jones had come into the first fight the way that he did the second, would anyone really care about him? He's 3-4 @ LHW since then.

Take out the JBJ and the DC fight (which was impressive AsF,) and he'd be 3-2; not bad since he's fighting other top contenders, but not great either.

Those wins against Glover and Jan are super impressive; but both fighters have improved drastically (which is crazy considering that they're senior citizens of the division.)

That said, considering Gus' record and who he beat to get to the title shot (Rua is a legend, but was definitely past his prime,) I personally wonder how much JBJ's lack of a training camp and his partying have led to potentially overrating Gus.

If Jones had come into the first fight the way that he did the second, would anyone really care about him? He's 3-4 @ LHW since then.

Take out the JBJ and the DC fight (which was impressive AsF,) and he'd be 3-2; not bad since he's fighting other top contenders, but not great either.

Those wins against Glover and Jan are super impressive; but both fighters have improved drastically (which is crazy considering that they're senior citizens of the division.)
Hot take: I think Bones vs Gus 1 was a better fighter than Bones vs Gus 2. I think him not having a training camp for the first Gus fight is overblown. Because he had unreal cardio in that fight. No way you can get to that conditioning without putting in the work. He did party back then, he probably still do now. I don't think he ever stopped partying.

Gus fell off bad.

2007 to 2010 for me.

Rampage beating Chuck signifies an end of an era, and we had some very fun championship fights that were instant classics (e.g. Machida-Shogun 1/2, the Shad face). The Machida era was a fun debate on Sherdog, and how it brutally ended caused the forum to blow up. We also had an all time fan favorite and underdog in Forrest winning the belt.

The 2014 to 2017 era had some great fights, but it didn't have the mystique of Pride vs UFC narrative the earlier era had. It was also marred by Jones's suspension and the fights for a vacant belt instead of dethroning the champion.

jones and dc tip the scale but the machida-shorgun era was an amazing time for the fans. No fighter in the history of the sport was as mysterious as Machida. No one knew his ceiling at the time.

But it wasn't until 2014 Rumble entered the rankings. I was trying to define the era as when Jones, DC, Gus and Rumble all were under the same roof.

Ok, I only said it because Jones-Gus 1 is mentioned there.

I remember John ducking faking injury so that he wouldn’t have to face rumble .

I remember John ducking faking injury so that he wouldn’t have to face rumble .
That was actually the time when Jones ran over that ladys car and fled the scene. I do believe Jon faked an injury vs DC. They were supposed to fight at UFC 178 on short notice. I think Jones wanted to face DC on a full camp.

2007-2010 was better. You had multiple title changes which made the division feel more competitive and the feeling anybody could beat anybody. During the other era, you had a clear #1 with a muddied up division due to Jones fuck ups outside the cage.

And Jon became champ in 2011. What even is this thread?
U retarded mate? 2007-2010 is one era. Jones winning the belt in 2011 is a new era. 2011 to 2013 was just Jones smacking up the old era. When did you start watch MMA?

U retarded mate? 2007-2010 is one era. Jones winning the belt in 2011 is a new era. 2011 to 2013 was just Jones smacking up the old era. When did you start watch MMA?
I understand what you meant, but 2011-2014 was a better time for LHW than 2014-2017. You're basing that as a great era due to 4 talented fighters barely holding the division together, and you discredited '11-'14 entirely to fit your narrative.

Back