(pic) What do you think of the brazilian version poster for UFC 166?

Cain was born in America, grew up in America, lives in America, and his first language is English. It's almost insulting to the idea of an inclusionary American identity to say he's not America because of what his parents are. He's Mexican as far as the promotional machine goes.

I never argued otherwise. I spoke up against the guy talking out of his ass claiming that Cain doesn't even speak Spanish. Cain is very much Mexican-American. He is an American. But I don't understand the people who get their panties in twists because he is promoted with a Mexican flag. The Hispanic Americans he is being geared towards also identify as being Mexican despite being Americans themselves. This is not rocket science.

Bruce Buffer still announces him as being from the US. Nobody thinks he's from Mexico. I find it mind-boggling how legit angry some people get that he's sporting a Mexican flag in a promotional poster.

btalgh5cyaa-uji.jpg

28468-Taylor-swift-lol-gif-OMBg.gif

My Portuguese is rusty, but I did understand that Werdum says the guys from Fox Deportes said Cain's Spanish isn't good and that Werdum speaks Spanish better than him.

http://youtu.be/oYasI2Z1CMc

Cain had to learn Spanish in order to play the Mexican champion to please Dana and to be more marketable in his parents' native country.

Fun posters, thanks TS and guy who put the USA and Mexico versions up. I guess the best poster will determine the winner?

ever heard of dual-nationatily? of course he is mexican too.

The word Nationality in that phrase is misused. It is no different than dual-citizenship. And being a citizen of the United States does not make that your nationality, unless you were born here. Do you consider the people that were responsible for the Boston Marathon bombings American? Because they were American citizens.

And moot point, anyway, because Cain has never, and will probably never, lived in Mexico. So he doesn't have dual-nationality, and he is still not Mexican.

i like the american poster more, because fuck nationalism.

JDS looks like a matador in this poster. I prefer the US made one

Say it to his face lol. Why do you want him to be an American so badly?

His parents are Mexican and he obviously wants to be perceived as Mexican.

Let it go man he doesn't want to be American lol

And yet another sherdogger that has no clue what they are talking about. If I said that to his face, he would say I was correct. Cain considers himself AMERICAN. Do you know why? Because he has a college education, and is intelligent enough to know that is what he IS. You are eating that UFC, uncle Dana appealing to the hispanic crowd crap right on up..

"Velasquez, born in Salinas, Calif., considers himself American but he also grew up paying respects to his Mexican heritage."

Key word there? Heritage. Cain accepts he is American. Why can't you?

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/10/24/1771079/ufc-121-analysis-marketing-cain-velasquezs-hispanic-heritage

The word Nationality in that phrase is misused. It is no different than dual-citizenship. And being a citizen of the United States does not make that your nationality, unless you were born here. Do you consider the people that were responsible for the Boston Marathon bombings American? Because they were American citizens.

And moot point, anyway, because Cain has never, and will probably never, lived in Mexico. So he doesn't have dual-nationality, and he is still not Mexican.

I'm just quoting what I heard him say in an interview: that he spoke spanish all the time with his parents as a kid and then he begin to forget a lot because of the social life in US, living alone, etc. He did say that he went to Mexico all the time during his childhood too.

plus, on the last point, you are wrong. I have dual-nationality and have never lived in any other place from where I was born!

And yet another sherdogger that has no clue what they are talking about. If I said that to his face, he would say I was correct. Cain considers himself AMERICAN. Do you know why? Because he has a college education, and is intelligent enough to know that is what he IS. You are eating that UFC, uncle Dana appealing to the hispanic crowd crap right on up..

"Velasquez, born in Salinas, Calif., considers himself American but he also grew up paying respects to his Mexican heritage."

Key word there? Heritage. Cain accepts he is American. Why can't you?

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/10/24/1771079/ufc-121-analysis-marketing-cain-velasquezs-hispanic-heritage

Well then i stand corrected. I just went by the flyer but you did your work.

Apologies.

Dana is as greedy as they come!

Ohhhh nationalism... what would we do without you?

Amusing that the American poster is equally balanced. Americans want the best person to win. And when they are winning, we chant "USA USA" because we only want to be on the side of the winner. If we cheer for someone and they win, then we were right.

That's the american mindset. Brazilians, Mexicans, they only care about their guy winning, even if it's a bullshit, dishonorable victory.

My Portuguese is rusty, but I did understand that Werdum says the guys from Fox Deportes said Cain's Spanish isn't good and that Werdum speaks Spanish better than him.

http://youtu.be/oYasI2Z1CMc

Cain had to learn Spanish in order to play the Mexican champion to please Dana and to be more marketable in his parents' native country.

3:18 onwards Werdum says Cain's Spanish was not good at all and that he was sweating cold trying to speak it in front of the cameras. This was back at 146 though, I'd guess he's been working on it a lot because really, the Mexican market is a gold mine for him.

Back